Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Joining the library in italy

Joining the library in italy

Old May 15th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

SuzyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Joining the library in italy

I HIGHLY recommend investing in an e-book reader! My Sony e-reader is lighter and thinner than one book, and has memory for thousands. It cost £200, so quite an investment, but it's so nice not to worry about where my next English book is coming from! It also came with a CD of 100 classic books (Dickens, Brontes, Austen, etc etc) as all that stuff is out of copyright. I can download the e-books from Waterstones or the Sony store.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Oh Suzy, I dunno.... I have seen them but ..... I like books.... I like their feel their smells the look of them on my shelves in one big clutter.... I suspect I would buy a reader and then never use it after the first week... I have just finished a fab book in 2days that had me in tears by the way ... it is called The Thirteenth Tale by Dianne Settlefield. Brilliant... picked up in Sainsbugs when I was there last summer.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

That's such a coincidence! Before moving to Italy I worked for the publishing company who publish Thirteenth Tale - and it was my job to send the books into the supermarkets like Sainsburys!!

Good book ain't it

I too love the feel, smell and look of books. But at this point in my life it's better for me to be free of my 'stuff'. between us me and my partner sold or gave away 500 books before we moved!
Old May 16th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I do know soooo what you are saying Suzy, but I just cannot get my head around it. I had to sort out my books before we moved and it was horrendous... it reduced me to tears.... I gave a few away but I have deposited far more with friends and there are even more in storage... erm and quite a few here too!!

Your old job sounded fab too Suzy, how bizarre though that I should have chosen to read that book now and mention it today eh??!!
Old May 16th 2009, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

very bizarre!!

I was upset at first to lose my books, then we set up a stall at our local market to sell some of them - all 50p, a ridiculously good bargain! Seeing people so happy to get a book they wanted and being excited to read it made me happy. Lots went back to the local Oxfam bookshop too, where loads had been from in the first place.

I know what you mean though - it is kinda gut-wrenching.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have never sold any but I did go through a phase when living in Hastings with books that I had read and didn't want to keep (overflowing bookshelves, bedside table etc!!) of writing my name and the date in the front and then leaving them on tables in cafes and on park benches and stuff. I just liked the idea that maybe someone might pick up what I had left and read it... you never know it might have brightened up someones day mightn't it?? I adored charity bookshops too for buying and this is where I gave away a lot too.... a bit like recycling really!!
Old May 18th 2009, 7:17 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you just burn the books?! I'm surprised that they don't do that here in Italy anyways.
Just make sure you get that fire nice and hot. Well into the mid 400°F!
Old May 18th 2009, 7:50 am
Just Joined

pokerbabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Not any good for me though

I trawl the charity shops in England looking for as many cheap books as I can find. I've tried reading in Italian but it bores me sometimes and I can't just skim read and get a good story - I have to concentrate that little bit more.

That becomes a pain if you like reading a little in bed before turning the light out.
Hi I have some English books and I was wondering what to do with them, I am in Aviano, am I far away from you Lorna? what kind of books do you read?

Jean
Old May 18th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Yes I've got loads of English books I'd be willing to swap / lend / give away.

Old May 21st 2009, 8:24 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pokerbabe
Hi I have some English books and I was wondering what to do with them, I am in Aviano, am I far away from you Lorna? what kind of books do you read?

Jean
Hi,

I'm probably close to 2 hours away from you. It takes me roughly an hour to get to Treviso airport when traffic is good and you are further up. That's on normal roads and not the motorway.

I've been known to read almost anything as long as it was in English. It used to be so much harder to get any English books here so I read any I could get my hands on regardless of author or subject matter.

There are only a couple of books that I left and never ever got to the end of.