Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

International School of Florence

International School of Florence

Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:01 am
Just Joined

nelliekiehl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question International School of Florence

Hi, I'm mother of 2 children aged 14 and near 12. The 14 year old started boarding last September and absolutely loves it! We chose this as the best solution for her as we are currently in Abu Dhabi. Before that both kids were in the French school system in Paris and Moscow (4 years), before that in the English school system and American Nursery. I'm English and my husband is French.

We've just heard that we may be moving to Florence and are concerned about what to do with our son who is currently back in the UK system here in Abu Dhabi and loving it. His father wants him to come with us and hopefully go to ISF but I'm not convinced that changing curriculums is the best thing for him and am keen to send him to Millfield (Boarding). He needs a little extra learning support and I'm afraid that after all the curriculum changes he has already had, that it won't be good for him to have another one. I'd love anybody's point of view on chopping and changing between systems and impressions of ISF. He would be going into Grade 7. He is not particularly academic but loves sport and is a fantastic tennis player and singer, hence Millfield as the preferred choice. My husband is not against Millfield as a whole but thinks that our son is too young to go in September 2011. I'm just concerned that he won't be able to cope with yet another curriculum change, especially since he missed years 1-4 in the UK system. Help!!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:47 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International School of Florence

Lol! I hadn't read this post when I replied to your other, more general enquiry!!

Go for Millfield! They have a very good learning support system there - they recognise that good at sports doesn't necessarily go with being academic or interested in it so they have resolved this brilliantly I have heard and will give your son all the support he needs. As for being ready to go, you already have a daughter in the system so you know he will get long holidays etc. The ISF doesn't do anything like the sports they do in the UK schools - there aren't the facilities, and how many schools do you know that have a full golf course?! If you haven't already, at least make that appointment to visit Millfield. If your son is as sporty as you say he will want to go there!!

On another note - most of the public schools will allow your son to enter a year later but in the first year if they feel he wouldn't cope. They are very good at deciding if your child will be okay, tell your husband not to worry, they do this all the time with kids from overseas. It's where most of their money comes from now!

Should also say that unless Millfield has a prep, your son wouldn't normally start there until the year he is 13 turning 14, taking the school year as starting September. So if he is still 12 in September he is too young to go to Millfield anyway....

Last edited by TestaRossa; Jan 11th 2011 at 8:52 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:13 am
Just Joined

nelliekiehl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International School of Florence

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Lol! I hadn't read this post when I replied to your other, more general enquiry!!

Go for Millfield! They have a very good learning support system there - they recognise that good at sports doesn't necessarily go with being academic or interested in it so they have resolved this brilliantly I have heard and will give your son all the support he needs. As for being ready to go, you already have a daughter in the system so you know he will get long holidays etc. The ISF doesn't do anything like the sports they do in the UK schools - there aren't the facilities, and how many schools do you know that have a full golf course?! If you haven't already, at least make that appointment to visit Millfield. If your son is as sporty as you say he will want to go there!!

On another note - most of the public schools will allow your son to enter a year later but in the first year if they feel he wouldn't cope. They are very good at deciding if your child will be okay, tell your husband not to worry, they do this all the time with kids from overseas. It's where most of their money comes from now!

Should also say that unless Millfield has a prep, your son wouldn't normally start there until the year he is 13 turning 14, taking the school year as starting September. So if he is still 12 in September he is too young to go to Millfield anyway....
Thanks for that too....you have some additional info from my latest reply - we appear to be replying to each other a little out of sync!! I totally agree with what you're saying and know that MPS (ages 2-13) is the best place for my son. Hopefully after this final interview, he will be offered a place, but we have visited the school twice, met the head, sent the school report and had the school here write a character reference. The feedback has been fairly positive so I'm hopeful that he'll get in, it's just a matter of convincing his dad that he can cope with it all. Dad was away a lot on business when the kids were younger and I believe is probably trying to make it up to his son now, but I don't want it to be to the son's detriment. It sounds as if ISF is a great primary school, but not a fantastic Middle or Senior school. What's more I'm concerned that given that admission is based on report cards, that they might only admit my son in the grade below because he has come from another system, and that would be a huge blow for him. We'll just have to wait and see. Thanks so very much for your invaluable imput. Nellie