Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

An interloper with a question.

An interloper with a question.

Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:03 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default An interloper with a question.

Good morning folks, and especially Lorna.
My wife and me, and 2 other family members will be going on a cruise around the Med over Christmas.
We will be making 3 stops in Italy.

Arriving in Livorno on wed 23

Chivitavecchia thur 24

Naploles friday 25

I just wanted to know what places of interest we could go and see, and could anyone recommend any good places to eat, not too far from the ports.

Quick to visit and not too far away.

Also would Naples be closed on Christmas day?????

My post serves two purposes, firstly to ask your advice so that we get the most out of our trip.
Secondly, to warn you all that if you if you are feeling slightly the worse after having too much "christmas spirit" it might be better to avoid the above mentioned places.
Because the port area around these cities will be full of rowdy, noisy Spanish.

Cheers,

Jose Luis
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:39 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interloper with a question.

Hello there,

I think you'll have a great time.
There is usually a lot of life around port areas so finding places to eat, drink and shop should not be a problem. One of our posters has recently been to Naples so she might be able to give you more pointers.

Christmas Day - not sure what you can do as even the museums all close that day. I'm not sure what might be open but I'm sure there will be poeple out and about having a stroll after their Christmas dinner. The Neopolitans are known for being a bit festive crazy anyway so there will probably be bars and places open in the afternoon / evening.

I'm pretty sure that your computer is not on Google Italy but mine is so here are a few photo links to the places you'll be - just to give you an idea of what the port areas look like.

Livorno ....

http://images.google.it/images?sourc...ed=0CDwQsAQwBg

Civitavecchia ....

http://images.google.it/images?hl=it...=f&oq=&start=0

Napoli ....

http://images.google.it/images?hl=it...=f&oq=&start=0
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, the places look lovely, lets hope the weather is OK too.

Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:30 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

If the cruise ship goes to the same part of the bay we saw a few in then when you disembark in Naples head towards the castle you can see stuck out in the bay. I'll try and get you a link for the restaurant we went to, the food was amazing! Think they did pizza too, fairly sure my son had one. If you can go there Christmas you will need to reserve a place - Lorna can correct my Italian, but it's basically "Posso avere un prenotazioni per la cena di Natale?" or similar! If they have a website you might be able to do it online. Some restaurants here in Florence are open Xmas day so I'm guessing they will be in Naples, but I don't know! I'll get back to you. Btw, the area all around the dock for the cruise ships is nice if you head up hill away from the castle once you have had lunch. The royal palace and the church square are really impressive!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
If the cruise ship goes to the same part of the bay we saw a few in then when you disembark in Naples head towards the castle you can see stuck out in the bay. I'll try and get you a link for the restaurant we went to, the food was amazing! Think they did pizza too, fairly sure my son had one. If you can go there Christmas you will need to reserve a place - Lorna can correct my Italian, but it's basically "Posso avere un prenotazioni per la cena di Natale?" or similar! If they have a website you might be able to do it online. Some restaurants here in Florence are open Xmas day so I'm guessing they will be in Naples, but I don't know! I'll get back to you. Btw, the area all around the dock for the cruise ships is nice if you head up hill away from the castle once you have had lunch. The royal palace and the church square are really impressive!
Thanks you Testarossa, I have been looking on the internet and found more pic of the places we are visiting. The port and dock area do look nice, and I am sure we will enjoy it.

If you could find me the link you are talking about, I would be very grateful, I really fancy some good Italian food.

Ciao for now.

By the way how do you say "CENA" ???? Is it pronounced CHena, in Spanish it is THena.

Thanks.

Jose Luis
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:07 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as I can! It's the former, Chena! Where in Spain are you? my husband and his biz partner have a place in Mijas, we go over in the summer for a couple of weeks.