Reload this Page >

ING Direct Orange account vs Post office Account

ING Direct Orange account vs Post office Account

Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

tommyd1888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ING Direct Orange account vs Post office Account

Hello

When I come to Italy I will need to open a bank account for my salary which is monthly. I have been doing a little research and the best options seem to be the orange account or a local post office account. Can someone advise which would be the best for me.

My salary will be paid directly into this account.
My rent and utility bills will be paid from this account.
I won't need to transfer any money from this account to a UK account.
I would need a bancomat debit card that would be free to use at the majority of the bancomats in Torino.
I want to pay as little as possible in fees to the bank.
I plan to save a little from my wages every month and would like some interest on it if possible.

Also would I need to be a resident before I could open an account or will a codice fiscale be enough. I will be applying for residency but I need a bank account right away for my wages.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Tommy
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: ING Direct Orange account vs Post office Account

Can someone confirm also that I would need to be a resident before I could take out a phone contract or get broadband from Fastweb or Telecom.

Cheers
Tommy
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hi Tommy,
I'm not sure that you do need residency to open a bank account or get a phone contract. I think we needed an Italian bank account before we could get residency... you do need a codice fiscale though for all of the above.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Indiebird

I am currently trying to wrangle this out of my company who are British based and this Italian office is there first European venture. I asked them for my codice fiscale and if we would have a partita IVA and I'm pretty sure they didn't even know what I was talking about. A very reassuring start!

Cheers
Tommy
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tommyd1888
Thanks Indiebird

I am currently trying to wrangle this out of my company who are British based and this Italian office is there first European venture. I asked them for my codice fiscale and if we would have a partita IVA and I'm pretty sure they didn't even know what I was talking about. A very reassuring start!

Cheers
Tommy
Tommy you will probably need to go and sort out your codice fiscale yourself. It's very easy to get one of these. You need to go to your local Agenzia dell' Entrate and it is all pretty painless. Just take all your id and docs with you and have photocopies ready to hand over to make it more painless.

The Partita Iva is more complicated......
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

I assumed that because I would be paying Italian tax, that this would be given to the European branch of my company when they registered me as an employee. No wonder nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks Indiebird
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Indiebird am I right in remembering that you are just north of Torino?

I don't suppose you know the address of the agenzia dell'entrate in Torino.

Cheers
Tommy
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Indiebird am I right in remembering that you are just north of Torino?

I don't suppose you know the address of the agenzia dell'entrate in Torino.

Cheers
Tommy
Mine is in CiriƩ the next biggest town to me... but have a look here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ed=0CAQQtgMwAQ
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Theres one right next to my hotel, always a bonus.

Thanks again Indiebird.

Tommy
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Theres one right next to my hotel, always a bonus.

Thanks again Indiebird.

Tommy
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

As Indie said, you need to start by getting your codice fiscale, without that, you can't do anything here. Telecom shouldn't be to bothered about residency if you are putting a line in where you have applied for residency. When they say contratto residenziale they mean a home and not a business premises. I don't know about Fastweb.
Bank account. As a rule, you need to be resident, but they can be 'flexible' especially if you or one of your new colleges knows someone in the bank or at the post office if you want an account there.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
As Indie said, you need to start by getting your codice fiscale, without that, you can't do anything here. Telecom shouldn't be to bothered about residency if you are putting a line in where you have applied for residency. When they say contratto residenziale they mean a home and not a business premises. I don't know about Fastweb.
Bank account. As a rule, you need to be resident, but they can be 'flexible' especially if you or one of your new colleges knows someone in the bank or at the post office if you want an account there.
We opened a bank account, and had a telephone installed before becoming resident. The bank accounts offered to non-residents are different I think from those offered to residents, but I know many holiday home owners with Italian bank accounts.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:14 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can open a non-resident's bank account , but I think tommy wants a normal acount. And as I said, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Telecom weren't bothered about us being resident either though they did have residency in Italy and when they came to put the line in they did check that we were who we said we were. The hardest part was convincing the operator that we couldn't just plug a telephone in because there wasn't a socket, just a wire hanging out of the wall. After saying "if he comes out for nothing you'll be charged", they did send someone. When he saw our wire he swore and when he went down to the cellar to see the rest he 'phoned his colleges and told them they had to come and see because it is so old. (it date backs to when the whole street only had one shared line).