Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How to sell house in North-Eastern Sardinia?

How to sell house in North-Eastern Sardinia?

Old May 7th 2019, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

shelly_ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to sell house in North-Eastern Sardinia?

Advice needed! My mum retired to Sardinia, Italy a few years back, investing all her money in a big house there. All seemed well but she couldn't learn the language - I thought that was because most of her friends were expats but it turns out to have been the first symptom of neurological illness. In short, she has had to come home and I have to somehow sell her house (she is living with me at the moment, and I've already moved her stuff). I'm absolutely stumped: I talked to three agents there but they don't seem to be doing anything - I've been doing so for months now but they don't seem to be getting anywhere. I talked to the main London based estate agents that sell Italian property here, the problem is that they would only accept properties valued at 1 million Euros or more (it's a seven bedroom house with tons of garden in a great location, but no pool - when she first moved there her neighbour tried to buy it off her offering 700,000 euros so that's a rough indication to me of what it should be worth). I'm stumped and exhausted, I have three young children and Mum is not well. Is there something I should be doing that I simply haven't thought of? I would really appreciate any advice.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to sell house in North-Eastern Sardinia?

Are you renting the property in July and August? The summer rentals on the Costa Smeralda are very expensive.
Old May 7th 2019, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelly_ray
….: I talked to three agents there but they don't seem to be doing anything ....
What does "talked to" mean? Has your mother instructed them to sell her house? I am not sure how estate agencies work in Italy, but generally agents are not going to be very motivated to find a buyer if their work may come to naught if your mother sells to someone else.

If your mother is not competent to instruct an agent herself, and to execute the sale documents to complete a sale then there is another level of complication to your problem in selling the house i.e. do you have authority to instruct an agent and complete a sale?
Old May 7th 2019, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

shelly_ray is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't want to go down the path of holiday lets as a. she needs her money out really for future accommodation options, and b. I would worry about things like indemnity insurance if someone fell in the garden and doing Italian tax returns. She has capacity. We met with several local estate agents - first we instructed one, went through all the hoops of doing the energy ratings etc but nothing came of it, then we spoke to some other after that failed, I'm just worried about a repeat. It's competitively priced it's just they take forever to respond to emails etc, if that makes sense - I feel like it's hard for me to keep the 'wheels turning' from the UK?
Old May 7th 2019, 7:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

….. We met with several local estate agents - first we instructed one, went through all the hoops of doing the energy ratings etc but nothing came of it, then we spoke to some other after that failed....
Perhaps its just the way you're describing it (you're a bit vague), but I am sceptical that the agent(s) even think they have been fully instructed, especially the ones you "spoke to" after the first one apparently stalled.

That said, I suspect that the market for seven bedroom houses on Sardinia is probably pretty thin, so I would not be surprised if it will take some considerable time to sell, especially at a reasonable price.
Old May 7th 2019, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

Where about actually are you? I say this because there is a world of difference between the property market in Costa Smeralda and say Santa Teresa Gallura. If you are outwith the Cala di Volpe to Porto Rotondo coastal area then I think that you really will have to go with a local agent and be prepared to wait. Try to find one that has relationships with agencies in Germany, France, Switzerland, the Low Countries and Scandinavia because that is where your likely buyer is going to come from. As you imply the International UK agencies are really only concerned with the Costa Smeralda. Also if you bought within the last 5 to 7 years you probably will really struggle to get back what your mother paid even in sterling terms. Is your neighbour no longer interested? Compare prices per square metre with similar properties for sale in your area to make sure that your price is still competitive. This is your key to finding out if your property will be seen as value to a buyer and is likely to spur on a local agent. Land I’m afraid, without the possibility of development does not add that much value. Good luck.
Old May 7th 2019, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

What value did the agents put on it?
Old May 8th 2019, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
Where about actually are you? I say this because there is a world of difference between the property market in Costa Smeralda and say Santa Teresa Gallura. If you are outwith the Cala di Volpe to Porto Rotondo coastal area then I think that you really will have to go with a local agent and be prepared to wait. Try to find one that has relationships with agencies in Germany, France, Switzerland, the Low Countries and Scandinavia because that is where your likely buyer is going to come from. As you imply the International UK agencies are really only concerned with the Costa Smeralda. Also if you bought within the last 5 to 7 years you probably will really struggle to get back what your mother paid even in sterling terms. Is your neighbour no longer interested? Compare prices per square metre with similar properties for sale in your area to make sure that your price is still competitive. This is your key to finding out if your property will be seen as value to a buyer and is likely to spur on a local agent. Land I’m afraid, without the possibility of development does not add that much value. Good luck.
Add Russia to that list.They're spending big time round here.Could be the mafia connection though,lol.

Old May 8th 2019, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The Italian property market is not like the British one, (apart from in a few tiny hotspots). You are very unlikely to sell a house in a few weeks. You will be expected tonegotiate pretty heavily on price. A house by the sea anywhere is not top of anyones list at the moment - the house by theseais the first luxury to be ditched by Italians, so I guess there is alot on the market and that means downward pressure on price. The season for selling at the sea is pretty short, so you need to be ready, as does your agent. You say the agents arent doing very well - do they have a mandate, have they done photos, have they got the documentation? IS the house ready to be sold with all the documentation ready? It may seem that compared to the UK everything is slow, but you also need to be piling on the pressure. Where is the house?
Old May 8th 2019, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

If a small flat changes hands in the block where I live the new occupants will spend 6 months making noisy alterations before they even put a foot in the door. If all Italians behave like that I am surprised that timing is so important.
Old May 8th 2019, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

One of the rare times I do not entirely agree with you modicasa. Houses close to the sea in Sardinia always have an underlying demand as a second home whether from foreigners or rich northern Italians. Prices can be as much as six to eight times the inland price of the equivalent home. The problem is that if you do not have a sea view or are more than 10 minutes from a beach demand really drops off and it can take a long time to sell. Also large houses as opposed to smaller houses or flats are favoured as the whole family can decamp for the summer. It is true as philat says that pretty much every sale is accompanied by some sort of reconfiguration. However if the house is close to the beach, outside building work is banned in the summer months in Sardinia.

Last edited by Capo Boi; May 8th 2019 at 6:57 am.
Old May 8th 2019, 1:03 pm

I spent some time looking at several web sites listing homes for sale in Sardinia, including one that appeared to have consolidated listings from several agents, and couldn't find one with 7 bedrooms without a pool and for under €1m, so I am wondering if the listing has actually been created, .... because if it has, it is rather hard to find, and either way, I am not surprised that it hasn't attracted much interest from potential buyers.

I did find quite a lot of listings in NE Sardinia in the €700k-€1m range, so there a lot of competition in that price range, many of them looking like they could be featured in Homes and Gardens magazine. Most have 3-5 bedrooms and a pool, so having 7 bedrooms might be a selling point, but only for the right buyer. If Shelley Ray isn't lucky enough to find someone who is looking for a property with 7 bedrooms and/or the property isn't in perfect ready-to-move-in condition, then I suspect that a hefty price cut may be required to attract a buyer.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 8th 2019 at 1:42 pm.
Old May 9th 2019, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

They had to reduce the house prices to only 1Euro in Sambuca.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-at-1-auction
Old May 10th 2019, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Advice needed! My mum retired to Sardinia, Italy a few years back, investing all her money in a big house there. All seemed well but she couldn't learn the language - I thought that was because most of her friends were expats but it turns out to have been the first symptom of neurological illness. In short, she has had to come home and I have to somehow sell her house (she is living with me at the moment, and I've already moved her stuff). I'm absolutely stumped: I talked to three agents there but they don't seem to be doing anything - I've been doing so for months now but they don't seem to be getting anywhere. I talked to the main London based estate agents that sell Italian property here, the problem is that they would only accept properties valued at 1 million Euros or more (it's a seven bedroom house with tons of garden in a great location, but no pool - when she first moved there her neighbour tried to buy it off her offering 700,000 euros so that's a rough indication to me of what it should be worth). I'm stumped and exhausted, I have three young children and Mum is not well. Is there something I should be doing that I simply haven't thought of? I would really appreciate any advice.
You don't mention whether or not you have Power of Attorney to legally act on your mums behalf. Do you have it..? Because if not I would suggest that before you make a move of any kind you need to get it sorted out. That might be complicated in Italian law - I honestly don't know - but even more so if your mum no longer has mental capacity as it has to come from her..... I know there's a bit of a rigmarole involved in UK law if you try to get POA for someone who no longer has mental competence but it IS possible. Under Italian law I suspect it will be more difficult and complicated by the fact that you are foreigners. Get some reliable legal advice. You certainly need it.

Good luck.

Edit : I see that you mention above in a later post that mum still has capacity to instruct agents etc. In that case get the POA sorted out asap in case she goes further downhill then you can take over for her without any hassles.

Good luck again. I'm currently trying to sell my own Italian poroperty on the mainland without any of the complications you have and it's a long and very slow business so you should expect it to take a while even in the best case scenario....

Last edited by Jake.White; May 10th 2019 at 8:39 am.
Old May 11th 2019, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Zocco is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience in selling in Italy, the first thing you need to understand is that it is not like selling in UK. The market is awash with homes for sale and there are few buyers. The agents do not seem to want to spend money on any active promotion as they rarely expect a sale. I once suggested that my agent should contact other agents in the area and they could compare their buyers and sellers and share commission. They could not understand the concept and thought I was mad! That's exactly how my apartment sold but I did the work. A neighbour put me in touch with another agent who had someone interested in my area and I organised for my agent and the second agent to get together..
You do not say when the house was bought but from a few years ago you should be thinking of a 40% reduction in price. If you search in, say, Immobiliare.it and casa.it you can compare similar properties but these are only advertised prices and buyers will expect to negotiate hard. From this you can see the agents active in your area. Look at their website. Does it look professional. You will be amazed by blurred pictures and untidy rooms.
Your agent may not actively promote the property, especially if he thinks it is overpriced. If the agent is not happy giving you feedback, advise on price, setting out his sales strategy etc. then find another agent.