A long shot

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute
Default A long shot

On the 9th April we were returning to Italy and stopped for the night in Castelvetro di Modena. We left the car for five minutes to locate the hotel and we were cleaned out, everything gone. We have done all the obvious stuff i.e blocking the cards and the denuncia to the Carabinieri but we have little hope of getting anything back. However there are a couple of things that are readily identifiable and I would be so grateful if people in that area could just keep an eye out. We lost a Canon 700D digital camera with three lenses including a Tamron zoom lens and a Canon wide angle lens and an unusual computer bag grey with UBS in red on it. I know it is a long shot but we have to try and thank you for taking the trouble to read this.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A long shot

Awful to hear! Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Casagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the rough

That's terrible! I must admit it is one of our worst fears when travelling to and from Italy with a car full of "stuff"
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your dilemma which I guess is still frequent in Italy.
Reminds me of the time I was called from Varese to assist Alitalia in Turin. I'd been there before but on this occasion decided to drive down with the family and spend a pleasant weekend there.
On the drive back we stopped off to spend an hour in the Turin Motor Museum, parked in their large open-air car-park. Eventually came out and drove back along the motorway to Varese. On arrival we opened the boot (which was still locked) to retrieve the two 'overnight' suitcases. To our horror the boot was empty! The thieves obviously had a duplicate key for the boot (I was driving an Alfa 33) and they'd had the 'decency' however to leave behind my briefcase which still contained personal tech documentation, and fortunately my completed visit report. (This was before computers, otherwise that would have been taken too). My wife still remembers some of her dresses and the kid's clothes that we obviously never saw again.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 23rd 2019 at 7:17 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Italy has a good selection of home grown and imported criminals. They still haven't worked out how an Italian stole 100 million dollars of diamonds from the Antwerp World Diamond Centre in 2003.
Seldomseenkid was a bit unlucky to be robbed in a quiet village. May be the robbers followed a car with foreign plates?
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I just remebered that when I was the prouyd owner of a new Zambian-assembled Fiat in the 1970s I parked in Cairo Road, Lusaka. Next day when I checked the bppot, everything ws gone. Locals assured me that there were hundreds of duplicate Fiat keys in circulation.

Sorry to hear your story. Commiserations
Old May 9th 2019, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Nightmare. I always sleep in my vehicle when travelling (van) and keep a crowbar close to hand just in case....

Hope you get your stuff back.
Old May 12th 2019, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

My advicis to never lock your car with the beep beep key fob. Use the key. I once left the car at an autogrill to get a coffee, and when i came back the car was still locked, but without various things. They copy the frequency of your fob from another car and canbe in and out in seconds. Do it the old fashioned way and put inthe key and turn it.
Old May 12th 2019, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
My advicis to never lock your car with the beep beep key fob. Use the key. I once left the car at an autogrill to get a coffee, and when i came back the car was still locked, but without various things. They copy the frequency of your fob from another car and canbe in and out in seconds. Do it the old fashioned way and put inthe key and turn it.
I didn't know that,I thought they only did that with keyless cars.When we drive back and forth to the UK,we never leave the car unattended,taking it in turns to go to the toilet and covering contents with a dustsheet.We stopped over in Parma this year at a large corporate hotel in a (according to trip advisor) dodgy area.We enquired about their underground car park and the receptionist said it is not secure and anyone can walk in and out.We ended parking next door in the bank car park,no probs.We have the Vauxhall OnStar system that sends us a text and email when the car is disturbed.We had 3 coming over on the ferry,lol.The best hotel was a Camponile in France that had 3 meter high security gates like Belmarsh prison,lol.
Old May 14th 2019, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

our car doesn't have a lock on the outside so can only be locked with the beeper
Old May 14th 2019, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
our car doesn't have a lock on the outside so can only be locked with the beeper
Every car thief in Italy will be looking for that type of car.
Old May 15th 2019, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98

Every car thief in Italy will be looking for that type of car.
Oh dear!