Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How do I get hold of a police certificate ?

How do I get hold of a police certificate ?

Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Scottish Linda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get hold of a police certificate ?

Hi, I'm in the process of applying for Italian citizenship after a long residency.I'm at the stage of getting the right documents together.(I know I've got a long hard battle ahead!)The stumbling block is the penal certificate,which I've been told can be provided by my local police station in the UK.I've contacted Strathclyde police and I'm waiting for a reply.I would really appreciate advice from anyone whose been in a similar situation recently.Thanks.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:30 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get hold of a police certificate ?

Not something I can help with specifically. However here is a link http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/ that may provide more info on what you need. It seems straightforward enough to obtain.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scottish Linda
Hi, I'm in the process of applying for Italian citizenship after a long residency.I'm at the stage of getting the right documents together.(I know I've got a long hard battle ahead!)The stumbling block is the penal certificate,which I've been told can be provided by my local police station in the UK.I've contacted Strathclyde police and I'm waiting for a reply.I would really appreciate advice from anyone whose been in a similar situation recently.Thanks.
Keep us all updated of the trials and tribulations of gaining citizenship as I keep meaning to apply for it as well.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jonnie-falafel will become famous soon enoughJonnie-falafel will become famous soon enough

I used disclosure scotland to get a certificate (nothing to do with Italy, but a licence to sell alcohol in UK) and it was a fantastic service. Applied and paid on line and all sorted in a few days. As soon as you've paid normally your bank (if UK) will check it's really you - part of i.d. confirmation. This might be a stumbling block if you bank in Italy.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

BrittanyB is on a distinguished road

Hi! If you are wanting a police certificate, you want to go to http://www.acpo.police.uk/contact.asp and request one. The certificate costs around £35, I believe. Even though it says 'England, Northern Ireland, and Wales' at the top, it is for Scottish people too. My husband is Scottish and he recently had to get a police certificate for a US visa, and that worked fine for him. Came about 2 weeks after he ordered it.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply! I'll let you know how I get on.
Have a great Christmas X
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

excuse me if I butt in on this post , I was told years ago from the British Embassy here in Rome that I couldn't have dual citizenship. I'm a uk citizen . Am I getting it wrong? Is it really worth all the hassle? I already have permanent residency
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

I checked this out with the British Consulate.There is no problem about holding dual citizenship.The only way you can give up your British citizenship is if you officially annull it.
The reason I'm doing this is to hopefully have less hassle with authorities.Especially when it comes time to draw my old age pension!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scottish Linda
I checked this out with the British Consulate.There is no problem about holding dual citizenship.The only way you can give up your British citizenship is if you officially annull it.
The reason I'm doing this is to hopefully have less hassle with authorities.Especially when it comes time to draw my old age pension!
Thanks I'm going to get in touch with the Embassy.I hate it hen you get told "well you're a foreigner so it's different" I'd love to shove my italian citizenship in some peoples faces
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by giodafa
Thanks I'm going to get in touch with the Embassy.I hate it hen you get told "well you're a foreigner so it's different" I'd love to shove my italian citizenship in some peoples faces
You will still be a foreigner. My OH is Sicilian, north of Rome she is considered a foreigner....
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 49 years, and no way have I ever considered Italian citizenship. You don't need it. You are a 'European' citizen with full rights. Sometimes you have to shout and fight for them, but they are there.
ciao for now,
'o nonno