Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

house convertion

house convertion

Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road
Default house convertion

has anyone experience of dividing a farmhouse into two flats. i bought my house four years ago and have converted the cantina into a self contained apartment and live in the original apartment upstairs. would it be legally possible to have these two apartments registered individually or would this be just too complicated and expensive to be worth while. thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house convertion

Was the cantina cathegorized as a magazino, ie C2 tategory in the catastal documents and your apartment as A2? If this is the case than I believe that by making the cantina as A2-residential, than you need to change the status in the catasto.
I am not sure how you do this-the comune will be able to direct you on this, however, bear in mind that then you will have two A2 properties and you will have to pay ICI on one of them-the seconda casa.

I am in the opposite situation of you-when we bought the house it was cathegorized as 2 properties, piano terra + piano rialzato were casa prima and the apartment in semminterrato was a seconda casa.
The previous owner did this division in the catasto so that the property does not clasify as lusso and thus incurr more tax.I asked an architect about changing it in the catasto and he said not to bother, as I would not achieve anything and just spend money, plus I could sell the house as 2 different properties.So, I still pay 400 E in Ici every year for the bottom of the house.

Modicasa is very knowleadgeable regarding houses/laws, so he/she might give you a better answer.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the advice the cantina was just used for keeping tractors and agricultural stuff so wasn't habitable. i think i'll have a word at the commune to see what they say i feel it would be worth paying the ici as i could then sell off one of the apartments if i wanted to keep the other for letting
Old Dec 25th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought that it might be better to speak to a local geometra and find out first if you needed a planning permission-DIA for changing the status of a non-habitable to habitable dwelling.
I do not know the laws of your comune, but he will and should you have needed a planning permission, then you could be publicising an abusivo and the comune could fine you or ask you to put it back to its previous status-agricultural storage space.

So, it is better to find out where you stand legaly before you let them know you have done work. It might well be that you did not need to do a DIA, so a geometra/architect can do the work for you in dividing the property into 2 catastal entities.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

no that's not a problem the apartment was constructed three years ago and i have had all the planning permission etc., necessary for converting the cantina to an apartment so i don't have the worry of whether the commune would have any queries it's only how difficult or possible it would be to have two separate apartments on the title deeds that concerned me as the house is still classed as one residence.