Reload this Page >

Home School in Italy?

Home School in Italy?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Giovanni will become famous soon enough
Default Home School in Italy?

Ciao a tutti,
I have a question, does Italy allow home schooling for your child? I am a dual citizen and so is my family I just moved to Lucca Italy from California. In California my wife and I home schooled our daughter and now that she is in public school she has decided she likes home schooling better. Is this possible. Thanks for any help. Giovanni
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home School in Italy?

Originally Posted by Giovanni
Ciao a tutti,
I have a question, does Italy allow home schooling for your child? I am a dual citizen and so is my family I just moved to Lucca Italy from California. In California my wife and I home schooled our daughter and now that she is in public school she has decided she likes home schooling better. Is this possible. Thanks for any help. Giovanni
It is possible but could prove to be very difficult.

There are rules and regulations that need to be followed - all of which I can't remember now but but you have to prove that you have competent teaching skills and adequate school space at home and the kids have to sit the normal school exams.

I think I might have written out some of the rules on another thread so I'll look later.

It's not something the Italians do.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:36 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

It is pefectly legal to home school a child here although few do it, so you wouldn't have the support network you had, I'm assuming, in California. The local authorities are supposed to verify the quality how, I don't know. My sons weren't home schooled, but they never went to a state school or where we were resident and nobody ever came looking for them. All the authorities where worried about was whether or not they were vaccinated. Home schooling is Scuola Paterna here.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Giovanni will become famous soon enough

Grazie for your help. It is appreciated.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:46 am
Account Closed

silvietta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
It is possible but could prove to be very difficult.

There are rules and regulations that need to be followed - all of which I can't remember now but but you have to prove that you have competent teaching skills and adequate school space at home and the kids have to sit the normal school exams.

I think I might have written out some of the rules on another thread so I'll look later.

It's not something the Italians do.
We don't do it because school is necessary to the child to learn to stay with other children and helps him to behave in the community and to be integrated. We've been told italian primary school (from age 6 to 11) is the best in Europe and teaching level is very high.Now with the new riforma done by Ms.Gelmini, some doubts are coming up...but more than learning, it is a good thing to meet other cultures to socialize. When you're young, it's easier.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:49 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvietta
We don't do it because school is necessary to the child to learn to stay with other children and helps him to behave in the community and to be integrated. We've been told italian primary school (from age 6 to 11) is the best in Europe and teaching level is very high.Now with the new riforma done by Ms.Gelmini, some doubts are coming up...but more than learning, it is a good thing to meet other cultures to socialize. When you're young, it's easier.
I don't think the OP was asking us to discuss the pros and cons of home schooling vs state school. The OP was asking if home schooling is legal in Italy and yes - it is.

Giovanni, I don't know if you read Italian but here is some info for you:

http://www.utilecomune.com/scuola_paterna.htm
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I know people who home school here BUT I don't think that the local authorities know about them. When my oldest was old enough for public school I had to send a letter telling the education authority why she was not enrolled on any of the school lists (she goes to an international school which doesn't seem to liaise with the public system)