Help me i'm new !

Help me i'm new !

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Location: currently live in dorset but want to move to the piemount region
miss.chambons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me i'm new !

Hello to everyone.
i'm new to this site and feel a bit of an intruder as i don't live in italy but am thinking of moving out there.
my family have a house in the val chisone and have been coming out there for a number of years.
every time i come back from a visit and return to the uk i feel like something is missing and feel like i should move out there.
Can anyone give me some advise on how easy (or not ) it is to find jobs, bank accounts, language and make friends etc.
thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:30 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me i'm new !

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

I can't answer your questions BUT someone will be along I'm sure.

I see that you are finding your way around but if you have any problems with the site, give me a shout.

Alistair.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

yeah trying to get the set up right.
thanks may need help at some point (i'm not very technical)
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by miss.chambons
Hello to everyone.
i'm new to this site and feel a bit of an intruder as i don't live in italy but am thinking of moving out there.
my family have a house in the val chisone and have been coming out there for a number of years.
every time i come back from a visit and return to the uk i feel like something is missing and feel like i should move out there.
Can anyone give me some advise on how easy (or not ) it is to find jobs, bank accounts, language and make friends etc.
thanks
Hi and welcome, living in Italy was my dream and I only managed it because my wife is Italian and managed to find a job and support us until I found work. I found part time work and made lots of friends but finding a full time job was hard.

Its not incredibly easy to find work even if you can speak Italian.

If it is your dream to live out here start on the Italian lessons now and good luck.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

thanks
i think my main thing is i'm scared of getting the language wrong. i can understand alot but find it hard to speak it.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hello to everyone.
thanks
Welcome to the forum miss chambons. There are plenty of people here who join because they are thinking of moving to Italy. Val Chisone is quite near to me... do you come for the Skiing?? I think you might find a lot of the small villages in Val Chisone hard to break into where lingo etc is concerned. Do you find many English speakers outside of Ski-Season there?? You will find lots of language courses in Turin though and maybe some that are free and run by the comune. I don't really know about the other things. Bank accounts can be straightforward but jobs are hard to come by even for the Italians at the moment. Hope this helps a bit, although it is a bit general....
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by indiebird
Welcome to the forum miss chambons. There are plenty of people here who join because they are thinking of moving to Italy. Val Chisone is quite near to me... do you come for the Skiing?? I think you might find a lot of the small villages in Val Chisone hard to break into where lingo etc is concerned. Do you find many English speakers outside of Ski-Season there?? You will find lots of language courses in Turin though and maybe some that are free and run by the comune. I don't really know about the other things. Bank accounts can be straightforward but jobs are hard to come by even for the Italians at the moment. Hope this helps a bit, although it is a bit general....
Hi there.
no i don't ski. not real my thing. i just like walking in the mountains. there IS an english family that live in the village where we have are house but not many english people around.
do you find people helpfull when it comes to speaking the language.. meaning the italians.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hi there.
no i don't ski. not real my thing. i just like walking in the mountains. there IS an english family that live in the village where we have are house but not many english people around.
do you find people helpfull when it comes to speaking the language.. meaning the italians.
yes the italians are usually very helpful... especially if they want you to buy something... have you discovered yet that the French are not??!! (or not up that way anyway). The main problem is that not many people correct my bad italian... they just let me carry on regardless! You are lucky to have found another English family... I know a few English people where I am up to the North of Turin but not loads. I have to say that I'm with you on the Skiing and the Val Chisone is very lovely for summer walking... I'm guessing that there is snow already though
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:57 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
yes the italians are usually very helpful... especially if they want you to buy something... have you discovered yet that the French are not??!! (or not up that way anyway). The main problem is that not many people correct my bad italian... they just let me carry on regardless! You are lucky to have found another English family... I know a few English people where I am up to the North of Turin but not loads. I have to say that I'm with you on the Skiing and the Val Chisone is very lovely for summer walking... I'm guessing that there is snow already though
Aww. I love your Italian. And so does Sergio. Welcome miss.chambon, just beware of the mad men on here.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 37100
Aww. I love your Italian. And so does Sergio. Welcome miss.chambon, just beware of the mad men on here.
I have already warned Miss Chambon that the women are as mad as a hatter, you are a tad toooooo late
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Hello to everyone.
thanks
Hi Miss.C and welcome.you have come to the right place for help, everyone here is great just take a look at some of the older posts for loads of useful info for moving out. I too am looking to move out (to Bologna area) as soon as i can. And I too feel more at home when i visit any part of Italy. My advice would be to learn as much of the language as you can before you head out there. Someone (Indie i think?) on here quite a while ago pointed out a free language site called Busuu, where you can pick up bits of Italian and chat to Italians trying to learn English too.I went to the library and got some 'learn in your car' cd's (penton overseas)which although are a bit annoying, do help with the basics.The library charge a couple of quid for 3 weeks rental per box set, but i copied the cds to my laptop so i can now memorise at will!! As for jobs, i have seen a few au-pair jobs online looking for English mother tongue, and teaching jobs.hope some of this helps
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips everyone.
you've all been really helpfull.
if anyone knows of any jobs in the val chisone or pinerolo area then please let me know.
just got back from italy on monday and i miss it already, such a different way of life.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao miss.chambons, and welcome. If you have access to satellite TV, see if you can get it tuned to RAI 1 or RAI 2, and watch news broadcasts/current affairs programmes - these will be a great help in picking up the language.
I hope your dream of settling in Italy soon becomes reality. Just always bear in mind 'the grass may be greener, but it still needs cutting'.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Welcome miss.chambons. Have read and agree with all thats been said. There is however another option that I have had to take and that is to live here and work uk.....Know maybe not the ideal, but I would prefer to have house and family here in beautiful Le Marche and only return to uk for work. (used to work 4-6weeks then come home for 2-3weeks), like having 10 holidays a year !!! Just taken a year out of work but have had to return to earn some dosh....not nice but no-one said it would be easy....and would'nt have it any other way
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

yeah i know what you mean about the grass being greener, but then again nothing ventured nothing gained
thanks for the info on the busuu web site it is great.
yeah i try and listen to italian radio or the new, which is helpful.