Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Hello from a newbie!

Hello from a newbie!

Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice
Default Re: Hello from a newbie!

Love Isabella, thats been my girls name 3 times now!!! My mums middle name and MIL name, she gets Isa though. So much easier to choose a girls name I think. We knew that our boys would go to school in Scotland, but here we are moving back to Italy, they all have Italian middle names though! Like George, would it be George or Giorgio?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

sian.sesto.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dina1965
I was Geraldine until I got to Italy. The employee at the local anagrafe registered me as Gerardine, refused to accept he had made a mistake and I am now officially that on all my documents. I was told I could change it ... if I went through a court case and proved I was really Geraldine. It seem too much hassle at the time, I knew very little Italian and needed Italian residency to work. Everyone calls me Dina anyway ...
OMG!!!!!! That's unbelievable!!! Well it's not really is it for this country!! When i had my driving license converted they got the address wrong, when i took it back, they told me there was nothing they could do, i would have to lose it and apply for another!!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Dina, that's terrible! They got both my first and middle name wrong on my health card, but that was easily changed. But to permanently change your name because some jobsworth refused to admit he'd made a mistake...!

Malcesine, it would be George not Giorgio as we're sticking to the English name thing. Not sure about it now though... As you say, it's so much easier to choose for girls!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I think many families are weird... don't get me started on the inlaws ...and my lot aren't much better!! I remember having my MIL AND my SIL going on and on about how my child must have it's dads name as the middle name if it was a boy and me thinking 'but I really don't think Jamie goes with anything else' by the time said man got home from work one day I was in a right old tizzy about it and he just said something like 'since when did you give a f*** about stupid traditions? Just do what you want.' I felt much better after that... but we plumped for 'James' anyway and MIL sort of huffed and said something like 'well I suppose it is more distinguished... I wish we'd actually called him that now!!'
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:04 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL wanted us to use FIL's name for our sons. Pompeo Augusto.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
I can't see your problem personally!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 37100
Very... imperatorial!

My husband's dad (so the same guy who wants our child to be named after him) insisted on my OH being called Pasquale after his own father. La Mamma did not agree... apparently it's the mother who registers the birth when still in hospital (or was in those days) so she sneakily called him Alessandro instead while her husband wasn't looking! We reckon that was the beginning of the end of their marriage... He still got stuck with Pasquale as a middle name though, which he hates.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

We broke the tradition six years ago when DS was born and didn't name him after his grandfather (he'd passed away). Tradition dictated he should have been Giovanni but there were so many Giovanni's in our village, including our best friends son. We put Giovanni as his middle name but for about 3 years DH's auntie and uncle called him Nanni which really got on my wick.
I'm expecting number 3 in August and would love to give this one an Italian name but we are living in Liverpool and have to think about the prounciation !! We really like Federica but she would get called Frederica, I quite like Alessandra too. DS has picked the name Max if its a boy, can't think of any other italian boys names I like.
BTW my dh's cousin lives in Ternate, is that near you ?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

sian.sesto.c is an unknown quantity at this point

We broke the tradition six years ago when DS was born and didn't name him after his grandfather (he'd passed away). Tradition dictated he should have been Giovanni but there were so many Giovanni's in our village, including our best friends son. We put Giovanni as his middle name but for about 3 years DH's auntie and uncle called him Nanni which really got on my wick.
I'm expecting number 3 in August and would love to give this one an Italian name but we are living in Liverpool and have to think about the prounciation !! We really like Federica but she would get called Frederica, I quite like Alessandra too. DS has picked the name Max if its a boy, can't think of any other italian boys names I like.
Originally Posted by selinuntina
Hi, Yes Ternate is just up the road, 5 or 10 mins by car!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by selinuntina
What I find in the UK is that people tend to try and pronounce names the correct way and not change it to suit themselves. So I don't think anyone would say Frederica on purpose, but you may have to correct it a few times. I grew up near Liverpool and my two brothers and I have unusual names and/or spellings of said names and we never really had any problems. And lets face it, she would be the only one.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LivingHere
What I find in the UK is that people tend to try and pronounce names the correct way and not change it to suit themselves. So I don't think anyone would say Frederica on purpose, but you may have to correct it a few times. I grew up near Liverpool and my two brothers and I have unusual names and/or spellings of said names and we never really had any problems. And lets face it, she would be the only one.
My son is called louis (pronounced Louie) and he still get called lewis which drives me mad !! They have managed to pronounce Fabiana correctly although with a very scouse accent, we are in kirkby where the accent is very strong !!! Still got a few months to decide, although my personal favourite is Layla !
Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

my initials are J.H.so I didn,t stand a chance, my daughters are Kirsten and Taryn, my grandaughter is Rosanna Oktavia,