Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:14 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Halloween!

How do you celebrate? Assuming you even bother. Even as a child I dressed up for the Brownies Halloween Party, so it isn't just in the US as far as I am concerned. For a few years in the UK I'd had a party for my son and his friends, complete with apple bobbing and a scary film before bed!! It was always a sleepover so I dealt with the consequences! The last one we dressed Antonia in a pillow case as a ghost and wrapped alex in toilet roll for a constantly unravelling Mummy!

Since coming here we've gone to the party at the US church. Fancy dress but as whatever you like. We've done fairies and princesses but this year is a bit more trad-ish, a fairy cat witch! Very spooky in black and purple with mask and black wings! After we are coming home to watch Coraline with Antonia then Shadow of the Vampire when she is in bed. We've loads of Halloween sweets and we've decorated the house with ghosts and things, some from here, others brought with us.

So do you bother? Btw I've noticed it is becoming more popular here in Flo as the mainstream supermarkets are selling stuff. A good way to start the lead up to Xmas when there is no bonfire night here at all! But I don't think burning a catholic night would go down so well, do you??
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Happy Halloween!

Thanks TR and happy Halloween to you. No we don't bother but I see all the shops here are selling Halloween stuff. I've just had an e-mail from my sister in Bexleyheath, she is taking her kids and her friend's kids trick or treating and she will be dressed as a zombie. When I was a kid it wasn't celebrated in the UK in those days, I always enjoyed Guy Fawlkes night though, it hadn't occurred to me that I was burning a catholic.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:12 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Bah Humbug! Halloween is just a way of making folks spend more money on Cr@p. But, IMHO I love any reason to dress up and the kids love it.
Happy Halloween Tutto
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Ye right happy halloween....

Stay home women and teach your kids how to iron and make pasta
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hmmmmm to Mr. Posh's comment.

In the UK we have been to parties or had parties or me and my friends have organised trick or treating with the kids. When my son was small we used to let him dress up and then give out sweets at the door for trick or treaters. I never thought of it as an american thing either. On the housing estate where I lived it was the norm to go out in a blackbag with a homemade hat or a white sheet. The shops here have loads of stuff for sale, but most 'good catholics' don't like approve really. I think it is a serious time for them but I could be wrong. I think it has something to do with all saints day tomoz and that is detracts from that celebration. We have never had trick or treaters to the house here. My friend who lives in the next street had loads last year and ran out of sweets and started giving out clementines. The kids were none too impressed... Last year one of the mums of a boy in my son's class organised a group of us to go round the shops in town which is more trad apparently here than going to houses. We then all went for a pizza which was nice. I must admit, I nearly organised a bit of a party here but didn't in the end and glad I didn't as ds is still poorly today.... maybe next year though eh??
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:03 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies! It was only yesterday I realised I have more set traditions for Halloween than Christmas! Probably because my OH doesn't have much interest so no input and I've done what I want unhindered by "should do's" rather than "want to's" which I find Xmas is all about. No presents, no cooking marathon, just loads of fun! And Antonia won the fancy dress parade, no mean feat out of more than 40 kids!! Well chuffed!!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Well done to Antonia!!

We had our first trick or treaters last night at 10pm!!!!! Both my kids were asleep by this time and so we didn't go outside. I do think it was a bit late persoanlly, and they buzzed 3times and they screamed outside the window. Our neighour had a go at them. Why go out so late when it is getting dark here around 5.30??!! Last year we went round the local shops in a group at 6pm and this would have been a better time.... surely.... I never cease to be amazed by stuff here...