Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Happy Guy Fawkes!!

Happy Guy Fawkes!!

Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:24 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Guy Fawkes!!

Baked potatoes and a fire in the hearth is my approximation! Miss the hot chocolate and treacle toffee at the school bonfires we went to but otherwise probably rather be inside!

Have vivid memories of the year my OH managed to terrify our son for life of fireworks - it fell over and came shooting across the garden straight at me and Alex! I managed to push the garden table on its side before it hit us! That was our last home display. I don't think Alex would trust him even now!!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Happy Guy Fawkes!!

Hmmmm I'm keeping quiet here!! If I mention it the kids will be sad and think they're missing out so I'm saying nothing and hoping they don't notice...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:55 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I had to explain it all on the bus coming home from school for Antonia - and next year I will do the same and the year after - it's part of her cultural heritage and one of the few customs that is solely British!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I had to explain it all on the bus coming home from school for Antonia - and next year I will do the same and the year after - it's part of her cultural heritage and one of the few customs that is solely British!
You are right, but my kids have memories of being with their cousins at my grandparents house or spending it with our lovely friends in Hastings, watching fireworks, drinking soup and eating hotdogs... last year they got really depressed about it and there were a few tears over what they were missing out on and so this year I've ignored it.... we're off to an apple festival at the weekend and hopefully embracing new things and the positive rather than feeling you're missing out on something...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Testa - you're right about it being a part of real Biritsh heritage. I agree and tell my students that in England this is far more important than halloween and that it really happened (or not as the case may be !)
But Indie I do understand you not saying anything - my kids too have really fond memories of bonfire night and parties and making a guy fawkes .....I miss it too!
Anyway, enjoy the apple festival this weekend and if you keep an eye out you can actually buy cider (you can post Duffer a bottle ) Its a lovely place Cavour and you should have a good time
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
Anyway, enjoy the apple festival this weekend and if you keep an eye out you can actually buy cider (you can post Duffer a bottle ) Its a lovely place Cavour and you should have a good time
He'd have to be veeery nice for me to post him a bottle.... not sure you could manage that could you Duffer??!! I might post you a picture though...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - you're right Indie ........the compound noun Duffer and nice just dont go together do they
(anyway he wouldn't be our Duffer if he were nice would he ??)
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nah - you're right Indie ........the compound noun Duffer and nice just dont go together do they
(anyway he wouldn't be our Duffer if he were nice would he ??)
what on earth is a compound noun?? Are you still at work Patty??
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh god you're right Indie - my kids actually pointed this out last night - I spend too much time thinking about work ....it has to stop !!!!

Anyway - was only joking - Duffer is actually nice when he feels like it
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by indiebird
You are right, but my kids have memories of being with their cousins at my grandparents house or spending it with our lovely friends in Hastings, watching fireworks, drinking soup and eating hotdogs... last year they got really depressed about it and there were a few tears over what they were missing out on and so this year I've ignored it.... we're off to an apple festival at the weekend and hopefully embracing new things and the positive rather than feeling you're missing out on something...
Testa - you're right about it being a part of real Biritsh heritage. I agree and tell my students that in England this is far more important than halloween and that it really happened (or not as the case may be !)
But Indie I do understand you not saying anything - my kids too have really fond memories of bonfire night and parties and making a guy fawkes .....I miss it too!
That's the difference though - Antonia came here when she was 2 1/2 so she has no memories of bonfire night at all! And they aren't exactly going to talk about burn a catholic night in the school she goes to, even if it were on the Italian Curriculum anyway, which I doubt it is. I can just imagine the nuns trying to explain it to the kiddies! We'd come out looking pretty bad I imagine!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

Bonfire night tonight at my son's school Knew we were paying these extortionate school fees for something...
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:36 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have never done bonfire night.

I was impressed this year with the English teacher at primary school though. She spent a whole week's lessons on Halloween and another on Guy Fawkes. Chloe came home with loads of info sheets and colouring pages and all the info was correct and not Catholic biased - just very factual.

My sister and my Dad have both told me that they have bought some giant sparklers for the kids to use in the garden at Christmas and New Year. They love sparklers and I guess now is the time to buy them. Dad said he has a box of mixed fireworks as well.

I used to love Catherine wheels.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My kids have never done bonfire night.

I was impressed this year with the English teacher at primary school though. She spent a whole week's lessons on Halloween and another on Guy Fawkes. Chloe came home with loads of info sheets and colouring pages and all the info was correct and not Catholic biased - just very factual.
My kids both spent weeks on Halloween but no mention of Bonfire night. I can kinda understand why I guess...

I used to love Catherine wheels.
Me too!! They were always my faves. I must admit I had a fear of my dad lighting things and Catherine Wheels always seemed safer. There is no hope for the man who douses the bonfire in petrol and sets light to the back fence and the side fence in the garden is there??!!