Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schooling and Autistic Children

Schooling and Autistic Children

Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

FabCakeLady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling and Autistic Children

My son has ASD although he is in mainstream school in the UK.

We are moving to Rome in the New Year with my husband's work.

Does anyone have experience of provision for ASD in schools? I have looked online at various international schools. I am planning to visit in the next few weeks but would appreciate people's views!

Thanks a million!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:45 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling and Autistic Children

If selluntina sees your post she may be able to tell you but it wasn't in Rome, plus she is no longer in Italy. Search under that user name and you will find some of her posts about it.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:58 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Italian friend with an ADHD child in mainstream primary school. I think I have mentioned the school system for him before but give me a chance to look up older threads and I'll get back to you with her thoughts on it.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FabCakeLady
My son has ASD although he is in mainstream school in the UK.

We are moving to Rome in the New Year with my husband's work.

Does anyone have experience of provision for ASD in schools? I have looked online at various international schools. I am planning to visit in the next few weeks but would appreciate people's views!

Thanks a million!
Hello !
Not sure if I can offer you any advice as my son has cerebral palsy not ASD. It affects him physically. We were in a small town in Sicily and it wasn't until we returned to the UK to live ( a year ago today !!) that we were able to get a definate diagnosis. He did undergo physio but it was more massaging and he did get very bored and would often refuse to coperate (he is only 5).
He attended nursery so have not had any experience with the elementry schools but my daughter did a few months in prima and I would say he would have struggled. As far as I was aware there was no support but like I said we were in a very small town.
The lack of help and information with DS was one of the reasons we returned to live in UK and we have been overwhelmed with the help and support we have received.
Sorry I can't be of much help
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I friend of mine has an autistic boy.While she easily found a speech therapist in English and the boy was advancing, she knew that the school where her elder child was attending, would not enroll him.
She was quite relieved when her husband suddenly changed jobs and they packed and left for America.
She misses Italy, but for her children's education, this was an excellent move.I believe she is very happy with the help he receives overthere.
Why don'd you ask /email the international schools in Rome and see what support they offer.
Another friend has her 3 children with different learning disabilities in St. Georges and they are extremely happy.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

FabCakeLady is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts!

To be honest we have struggled to get appropriate help here in the UK! Because at face value he seems a really bright personable boy people, including teachers, find it hard to see that he has a problem!

I have spoken to three international schools in Rome and we are flying over next week to see them and talk to them in person.

Fingers crossed!