Giving birth in Florence

Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

LuccaGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Giving birth in Florence

Originally Posted by Stellina
Hi LuccaGirl
First of all congratulations!
I’m due early July and am doing everything through the local health authority (ASL) here in Florence. Basically when they accept the fact you’re pregnant (you have to go to the ASL and do a urine test with them, they don’t accept a shop bought test as confirmation) you get this little pregnancy booklet you’re your name and details on it called a “libretto della gravidenza. This has got a serious of pages which list all the tests you need to do and when. You have to get a doctor to sign every page of the booklet because then when you go for the tests they tear off and keep the page. When I got my booklet they also booked the 3 scans that are foreseen by the ASL.
As for a gyno, you can see one through the local health authority but I’m not sure how often and you’ll probably see someone different each time. I see someone privately about once a month.
This is my first baby so it’s all new to me too but I have to say I’m very impressed with the service you get from the ASL here. You get loads more tests here compared to in the UK, all for free, in fact going along to the ASL for monthly blood tests becomes a social activity (not a particularly fun one........).
I've also signed up for free pre-natal classes which are 10 sessions (compared to just 2 sessions my friend in the UK was offered).
Don’t hesitate to ask if you want any more info
Thanks Stellina and karenitaly!
Your notes-they make me feel better!

I will first ask..how did you join the national health system (SNN) here in Italy. Did you sign up at the ASL by using your E106 form? Or did you first need to get residency here before going to ASL?

It is tricky for me, cause I am on an UK visa (since I am American) and I am afraid if I transfer my health care from England's NHS to Italy they will not renew my visa (which I think I need to keep the health care here in Italy....) It seems like catch 22.

Besides that, how did you chose your hospital. This is something I am a bit worried about since that is where all the 'action' happens
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi LuccaGirl
I’m due early July and am doing everything through the local health authority (ASL) here in Florence. Basically when they accept the fact you’re pregnant (you have to go to the ASL and do a urine test with them, they don’t accept a shop bought test as confirmation) you get this little pregnancy booklet you’re your name and details on it called a “libretto della gravidenza. This has got a serious of pages which list all the tests you need to do and when. You have to get a doctor to sign every page of the booklet because then when you go for the tests they tear off and keep the page. When I got my booklet they also booked the 3 scans that are foreseen by the ASL.
As for a gyno, you can see one through the local health authority but I’m not sure how often and you’ll probably see someone different each time. I see someone privately about once a month.
This is my first baby so it’s all new to me too but I have to say I’m very impressed with the service you get from the ASL here. You get loads more tests here compared to in the UK, all for free, in fact going along to the ASL for monthly blood tests becomes a social activity (not a particularly fun one........).
I've also signed up for free pre-natal classes which are 10 sessions (compared to just 2 sessions my friend in the UK was offered).
Good question- do your doctors/gyno speak English? Mine is decent...but not amazing!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl
Good question- do your doctors/gyno speak English? Mine is decent...but not amazing!
I dont have any health care here, am doing it all privately, had no other choice as Ive been working abroad for a few years (not in EU). As for choosing my hospital, I live in a small town so didnt have much choice but have spoken to a lot of people and they all have good things to say about it. My gyno studied in America and worked for an American hospital for a few years so his english is pretty good (except for the american slang inbetween) Try and speak to as many people who have had babies in your area, when ever we told people I was pregnant, almost all of them started talking about the gyno's in the area, thats how I chose mine.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LuccaGirl
I wasn’t a resident when I first signed up with the ASL as it wasn’t necessary then but I think it is now. Thing is I’ve been working here for 6 years and paying in to the social security system so I guess my situation is different to yours, sorry can’t be much help there, I know it's tricky when visas are involved
As for hospital, havn’t chosen yet, am asking around to get as much info as possible.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:00 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Luccagirl, why not try posting a specific question about E106/E109 on the French and Spanish forum. Maybe more people will have had to deal with this problem. An expiry date for health cover when your husband is still paying into the system? What about the baby? What will he/she be entitled to?
It's been a long time since I had my sons so I can't comment on that level on care in that sector and health care is regional here so it can vary but even though my oh had a brillant private health plan we nearly always used the ssn even when one of my sons had a nose job. His doctor opted to do it on the ssn system telling us it made no differance. Here in Verona you can visit the hospital and you can have a private room though these aren't available everywhere. At the moment, they are re-doing our local hospital and eventually all rooms will be 2/3 bed with aircon.
There are some exceptions to being resident for signing up to the asl such as uni students, temporary workers etc but I doubt that you would fall into any of the catagories.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Hi LuccaGirl
I can answer about the baby. To join ASL it will need the same documentation that your husband would need. The baby can be registered with the comune and ASL as a UK citizen (your husband is British, right?). For this you will need a British passport and a card from the comune. (NOT A PdiS). The baby will also need to be added to the E106.

My OH gets a new E106 everytime his contract his renewed. We have been out of the UK for four years now and have never been told that we are no longer entitled to use the NHS. The E106 is used by the Italian government to recoup what is spent from the British government. I don't understand why using an E106 would exempt you from using the NHS as the same department is footing the bill.

Where we live I could go to the nursery at the hospital until the baby was 28 days old. After that it was sort yourself out with ASL or go private for routine checks.

I had all my appointments at the local hospital and always saw the same doctor - I know it changes from hospital to hospital.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Hi LuccaGirl
I can answer about the baby. To join ASL it will need the same documentation that your husband would need. The baby can be registered with the comune and ASL as a UK citizen (your husband is British, right?). For this you will need a British passport and a card from the comune. (NOT A PdiS). The baby will also need to be added to the E106.

My OH gets a new E106 everytime his contract his renewed. We have been out of the UK for four years now and have never been told that we are no longer entitled to use the NHS. The E106 is used by the Italian government to recoup what is spent from the British government. I don't understand why using an E106 would exempt you from using the NHS as the same department is footing the bill.

Where we live I could go to the nursery at the hospital until the baby was 28 days old. After that it was sort yourself out with ASL or go private for routine checks.

I had all my appointments at the local hospital and always saw the same doctor - I know it changes from hospital to hospital.
Thanks for that!!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
Luccagirl, why not try posting a specific question about E106/E109 on the French and Spanish forum. Maybe more people will have had to deal with this problem. An expiry date for health cover when your husband is still paying into the system? What about the baby? What will he/she be entitled to?
It's been a long time since I had my sons so I can't comment on that level on care in that sector and health care is regional here so it can vary but even though my oh had a brillant private health plan we nearly always used the ssn even when one of my sons had a nose job. His doctor opted to do it on the ssn system telling us it made no differance. Here in Verona you can visit the hospital and you can have a private room though these aren't available everywhere. At the moment, they are re-doing our local hospital and eventually all rooms will be 2/3 bed with aircon.
There are some exceptions to being resident for signing up to the asl such as uni students, temporary workers etc but I doubt that you would fall into any of the catagories.
I guess my visa has nothing to do with the E106-according to the HRMC Overseas Health! So, that is good news!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:33 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

My question on the baby was really more to do with how long it will take to get coverage rather how as I presumed he/she would through the father. You need a passport, how long will it take to get one? Your local ussl will always vaccinate a baby regardless of entitlement but what about check ups?
I thought this needed considering when deciding were to give birth.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi LuccaGirl
Hi Stellina,
Could you tell me when the first scan is done in Italy?

I have applied for my E106-which is suppose to arrive next week...then I am off to the ASL for the 'health card.' (hopefully it is that easy!) And then for my pregnancy test....

I am about 5 weeks along, and I am really trying to delaying my first visit until I get the health card
(hopefully all is smooth sailing.)
However, if not maybe you could tell me what would be the latest I should get to the doctor.

Just a note, I have had my blood tested for rubella in the past.

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Hi LuccaGirl
I had my first scan at 11 weeks which they said was early but I was flying back to the UK for Christmas and 12 weeks would have meant Christmas day! I think it is usually done in the 11 – 13 week window.
If I were you I’d try and see a doctor before 8 weeks, because then you’ll need to get the pregnancy booklet and book your scans. Obviously the earlier you do it the more choice you’ll have re: date and location of scan appointments. The first set of blood tests are around the 8th week I think (it’s all listed in the pregnancy booklet but I don’t have it with me) and they are quite important because they test for loads of things (filled up about 4 test tubes with blood ).
Fingers crossed your E106 arrives soon and you can get things moving. Just ask if you want any more info.
Ciao
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karenitaly
I dont have any health care here, am doing it all privately, had no other choice as Ive been working abroad for a few years (not in EU). As for choosing my hospital, I live in a small town so didnt have much choice but have spoken to a lot of people and they all have good things to say about it. My gyno studied in America and worked for an American hospital for a few years so his english is pretty good (except for the american slang inbetween) Try and speak to as many people who have had babies in your area, when ever we told people I was pregnant, almost all of them started talking about the gyno's in the area, thats how I chose mine.
Hi karenitaly,

Just like you, I might have to pay out of pocket for my pregnancy until I get my Italian healthcare sorted out.

Could you tell me (roughly) what it costs for your first doctor's visit (blood test...) Did you go to a private gyno for this or drop in ASL??

I should be covered by the SSN by my first scan.

Thanks and hope you (and baby) are doing well!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi LuccaGirl
I had my first scan at 11 weeks which they said was early but I was flying back to the UK for Christmas and 12 weeks would have meant Christmas day! I think it is usually done in the 11 – 13 week window.
If I were you I’d try and see a doctor before 8 weeks, because then you’ll need to get the pregnancy booklet and book your scans. Obviously the earlier you do it the more choice you’ll have re: date and location of scan appointments. The first set of blood tests are around the 8th week I think (it’s all listed in the pregnancy booklet but I don’t have it with me) and they are quite important because they test for loads of things (filled up about 4 test tubes with blood ).
Fingers crossed your E106 arrives soon and you can get things moving. Just ask if you want any more info.
Ciao
Thanks for that!
How are you doing? You must be far along!

I am going back to the UK this next week, and I might try and drop by my NHS doctor and see if I can get my blood done there. ? Do you think they would transfer it down to Italy? (I just don't want to be too late and risk the baby!)
However, I might just pay for the first few visits...can't be that terrible!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again. I’m 21 weeks now, had 2nd scan a couple of weeks ago and all is fine. As I said previously, have been really impressed by level of care I’ve been getting here in Italy but then I guess it is an advantage for me knowing the language so I’m quite easy going in terms of which doctors I see etc. I’m not sure how early they do all the blood tests in the UK, I was speaking to a friend of mine the other day and she said that nothing was really done at all in first 12 weeks. Sounds like a good idea to see your NHS doctor anyway since you’ll be back in the UK. Important thing is not to worry, you’re not putting the baby at risk in anyway, just think, some people don’t even find out there pregnant until like 12 weeks anyway.
P.s One thing they are really hot on over here is what you should / shouldn’t eat during pregnancy. No un-pasturised cheeses, no salami, prosciutto crudo etc. (until you’ve had your blood test results and they test you for "toxiplasmosis"), all meat should be thoroughly cooked etc.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl
Hi karenitaly,

Just like you, I might have to pay out of pocket for my pregnancy until I get my Italian healthcare sorted out.

Could you tell me (roughly) what it costs for your first doctor's visit (blood test...) Did you go to a private gyno for this or drop in ASL??

I should be covered by the SSN by my first scan.

Thanks and hope you (and baby) are doing well!!
By the time I realised I was pregnant I was already 13 weeks gone, I had no signs at all before. Our family friend is a doctor so he he told me to go to a private clinic to get the pregnancy test done, that cost about 20euros, because I was so far gone already and they needed to check me as soon as possible, I got a free scan that same day, had my first blood tests which cost me about 90euros, my next appointment was at 17weeks cost 80 euros, another lot of blood tests 40euros, 22weeks scan was a big 1 to check the babies organs and so on cost 130euros, another lot of blood tests which was free and had a scan last week at 29weeks, another 80euros. I have another lot of blood tests to do before my next appointment at 33 weeks but this is only to check my glucose level as babs is perfectly healthy and all my tests have been perfect. Hope this helps... I've also had 2 check-ups at the hospital for free inbetween when I had bladder infections, advise to drink a lot of water because they are even worse when you pregnant than normal and easy to get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.