Reload this Page >

Giving birth in Florence

Giving birth in Florence

Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving birth in Florence

Hi Everyone
I've only just joined the Forum and would be really grateful for any info on giving birth in Florence. I've lived here for 6 years now so the language isn't a problem, am just a bit worried about the whole "no pain relief provided" stories I've been hearing Thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:09 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving birth in Florence

Not in Florence but have given birth twice in the North.

Don't expect any gas and air.

Ask if you want more details.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your quick reply Would really appreciate more info, so they literally don't give you anything for the pain?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Gas and air doesn't seem to exist at all.

They might give you a shot of pethedine and epidurals are available but they seem to only use them as a last resort - or for c-sections of course

I have never heard of anyone having any kind of birthing plan.

It seems to be more kind of ---- let's just see how it goes and how the labour progresses.

My first child was apparently in some distress as I was losing oxygen and so was she - but the staff kept us both closely monitered without letting me know as they kept the graph machine behind my head. They concentrated on me and keeping me calm and getting the baby out.
She came out fine - but they did tell me the next day that they had got the emergency c-section team set up in the room next door....just in case.

I'm not telling you this to scare you in anyway but to let you know just how well prepared and comptetent all the staff were without letting me go into a panic.

Second child was born quickly and I didn't get so much as an aspirin. Maybe that's because the labour progressed so very quickly and it wouldn't have made much difference - I don't know.

Level of after care is good - level of comfort and bedside manner not so good but that is true on any ward here and not just the baby ward.
Staff are good but not all of them are warm and friendly.

Wards are stark and the labour room looked rather similar to an operating theatre .... never heard of any birthing pools where I live. Never heard of any father being asked if he wants to cut the cord either.

Some hospitals still keep the children in a nursery- especially at visiting time - so they are open to less chance of germs. Some hospitals provide nappies and sanitary pads but most don't.

The hospital you plan to give bith in will have a list of what to take with you. Go and get a copy.
Most hospitals prefer nightdresses with buttons at the top ........ for easy breast feeding and for checking out the Mum too ......... Doctors or nurses can't be bothered to wait for you to take pyjama bottoms off - but they can't insist you don't use jim jams.
A lot of hospitals also want a vest and a seperate two piece outfit for the baby. They say that changing a nappy is easier if they just have to take off a pair of tiny trousers with feet on them rather than a whole babygrow and then a body suit too.

Try and get the list from the hospital before you start buying anything.

Whether here or in the UK every birth is different. My sister had a lovely room all to herself with all the nice curtains and private bathroom and pictures on the walls etc and gas and air but she still had a worse time of it than I did.

When is baby due anyway ?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lorna
Thanks for all this info, as you say every birth / hospital is different. It's good to know that the staff were competent, your comment on their bedside manner doesn't suprise me though
Baby due early July so I'm sure I'll have alot more questions to put to you in the coming months
Thanks again
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stellina
I only had one of my 3 here in Italy and that was in Milan. But as Florence is also a big place I would do a little research if I were you. I went to ante natal classes in Milan and the lady who ran them was very helpful also in finding hospitals that did rooming-in/hubby present at birth/demand breast feeding etc etc. In the end we chose a childrens hospital that had a maternity unit a little more forward thinking and sympathetic than the other big hospitals. So dont worry - I'm sure it will all work out for you. As Lorna said, you can have a good and bad anywhere. Be clear in what you'd like and talk to lots of other mums and just get as much info as humanly possible

ps: sorry forgot to say that although I had a good experience as far as the hospital etc, I also didnt have any pain relief - gas and air isn't available here. But you might get pethidine or something similar - so dont panic - al is not lost

Last edited by Patty; Feb 6th 2009 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:02 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Which hospital are you planning on going to in Florence or is it too early for that? They have mid-wife centres here as well. Know a few peeps had babies in the various hospitals, so if you know which one I'll find out if I can.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi TestaRossa
Was thinking either Torregalli or Ponte a Niccheri. I've been to visit friends at Careggi and it seemed scarily dated and old-fashioned. Am also planning on doing the pre-natal classes at the ASL in Santissima Annunziata.
Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

A friend gave birth in Torre Galli in December but she literally had the baby 15 minutes after arriving!! Don't ask!! But I will ask her if she knows if anything was available. I know they are very encouraging of breast feeding. Torre Galli is okay - is being updated and when I visited a friend on a medical ward it was 2 to a room. But don't expect bedside tv's like in the UK! They had a battered portable between them!

I only hear good stuff about Ponte a Niccheri - isn't this mainly midwife based though? So I don't know how much hi-tech etc. will be available there. I will try and find out for you.

Also there is a private clinic near where you are going for your classes, I think it is called Donnatello - it's near the 4 seasons hotel. No idea of cost or anything but I know another friend is hoping to have her baby there in March.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I've heard about Via Donatello, but I know it's very pricey
If you could your friends around about Torre Galli and Ponte a Niccheri I'd really appreciate it.
P.s If having the baby at Torre Galli means a 15 minute labour I'm there
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:48 pm
The Original Red Head!

! No, 'fraid it was nothing to do with the hospital! She started her contractions, went to the post office, did a bit of shopping at Esselunga then told her husband to get home to go to the hospital!!! She then rang me, having had the baby at 3.00 p.m., at 4.30 p.m. to tell me!! This is her second (and last, she says!).

I'll ask.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
! No, 'fraid it was nothing to do with the hospital! She started her contractions, went to the post office, did a bit of shopping at Esselunga then told her husband to get home to go to the hospital!!! She then rang me, having had the baby at 3.00 p.m., at 4.30 p.m. to tell me!! This is her second (and last, she says!).

I'll ask.
Was she hoping for a years free supply of nappies or stamps or something?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:02 am
The Original Red Head!

! That's funnier than you realise! Only the week before we went to the shopping centre here in Florence called I Gigli. While we were in the supermarket and she was loading up her trolley with huge multi-boxes of milk, I told her about the urban myth that if you go into labour in M&S or Tesco in the UK you get all your shopping free!! Now I realise how lucky or unlucky, we were it didn't happen! I only let her drop me home before she had unloaded her car on the understanding her cleaner (who was around that day) would take the stuff up to her apartment for her!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I told her about the urban myth that if you go into labour in M&S or Tesco in the UK you get all your shopping free!!
Is that true? Even if you've done a big clothes shop in Sparks? Worth knowing.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:32 pm
The Original Red Head!

As I say, I think it's an Urban Myth. I seem to remember there was a similar story about Harrods which they promptly denied!! Of course, Diana or Posh and it would have been a different story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.