Reload this Page >

Giving birth in Florence

Giving birth in Florence

Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

LuccaGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Giving birth in Florence

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl
Good thought TestaRossa. I wish, no, we are not entitled to anything in that way. We decided to move here, he just commutes a lot. poor guy.

I think the E106 sounds like what I need and will get.

LivingHere: Do you know if this will cover everything, or will I still need to pay for things like theh post natal stay?? I might follow Karenitaly and pay for my own gyno.
Besides the cost, what would you all advise on chosing Lucca/Tuscany or Derby/Notts in England to have the baby?

My old boss told me to never have a baby in Italy on the public health care. But is NHS much better??

Once I sign the E106, I won't be able to get coverage in England anymore.

I could fly to England until I am like 8 months and then just stay in England for the birth....but, that sounds ..well, unfun
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:17 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

It covers you for everything. You're entitled to the same treatment as an Italian national.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides the cost, what would you all advise on chosing Lucca/Tuscany or Derby/Notts in England to have the baby?

My old boss told me to never have a baby in Italy on the public health care. But is NHS much better??

I could fly to England until I am like 8 months and then just stay in England for the birth....but, that sounds ..well, unfun
how far are you? My friend told me that its terrible to be pregnant in the summer over here so i'd take the weather into consideration too
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

when my daughter had her daughter 12 years ago in Germany, she had all her expenses covered by me apparently she could use mine because I had always paid full stamp, couple of breaks to have my girls.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:12 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Why did your old boss tell you not to have a baby here? I've had two and although the level of comfort and the bedside manner are not brilliant the staff were all extremely competent. It didn't matter so much that the food was the same as hospital food all over and I didn't have a private room with en-suite bathroom. I had a beautiful baby and a warm and cosy house to come home to.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:26 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think like everything it really depends where you go in both countries. I had great experiences in the UK, one at a major teaching hospital and the other in a local hospitals very up to date unit. I got lucky. Have heard of women left on trolleys in labour in corridors because delivery rooms were full. The local I was at had to close to admissions while I was in as they didn't have enough staff on. Also I had to stay in the recovery room of the theatre overnight as I had complications, so no-one could come in for emergency C-sections, so I was lucky - the women after me weren't!

Do your homework like you would in the UK. Check out all the hospitals in your area - here in Florence you can choose, so I'm sure you can elsewhere.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Are you sure about the E106? My OH's employer sent us the E106 - he is classed as a crown servant working abroad AND they told us to keep registered with a GP.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi girls,

Thanks for all the posts. I was away in Rome for a few days...thus no answers.

The baby would be due early mid Oct (as I said, we are very early along!)
I know being pregnant in the hot summer is going to be a little rough, but, we have A/C

I called about the E106 form, and it sounds like I could get coverage in Italy (but I will not be able to use the NHS again.) So, my husband and I are trying to figure out which route to take. Fly back and forth for tests and temporarily move back to the UK for two/three months and have the baby. Or give Lucca/Viareggio's hospitals a try.

We are flying back to Notts in two weeks for the 'doctor's' appt and stuff since we are not registered in Italy yet.

How does it work in Italy? Does your doctor assign you a gyno (keep in mind, ALL THIS IS NEW!)
I only know where the baby comes out....the rest I am learning about

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pansy
when my daughter had her daughter 12 years ago in Germany, she had all her expenses covered by me apparently she could use mine because I had always paid full stamp, couple of breaks to have my girls.
Hi Pansy,
I think that I should be able to cover myself, but if not, I think I can be a dependent to my husband. I need to call the Inland Revenue dept for that!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Why did your old boss tell you not to have a baby here? I've had two and although the level of comfort and the bedside manner are not brilliant the staff were all extremely competent. It didn't matter so much that the food was the same as hospital food all over and I didn't have a private room with en-suite bathroom. I had a beautiful baby and a warm and cosy house to come home to.
Hi Lorna, I would love to hear a bit more about your experience. Did you do everything with the public health system?

I have heard/read lots of horror stories from Italians and expats.. If you would be so kind could you elaborate a bit about what you said about the level of comfort and the bedside manner. I know it sounds crazy, but I hope to do it without drugs anyways....
I heard you could pay extra for a private room and bathroom??

thanks!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Honestly, I think like everything it really depends where you go in both countries. I had great experiences in the UK, one at a major teaching hospital and the other in a local hospitals very up to date unit. I got lucky. Have heard of women left on trolleys in labour in corridors because delivery rooms were full. The local I was at had to close to admissions while I was in as they didn't have enough staff on. Also I had to stay in the recovery room of the theatre overnight as I had complications, so no-one could come in for emergency C-sections, so I was lucky - the women after me weren't!

Do your homework like you would in the UK. Check out all the hospitals in your area - here in Florence you can choose, so I'm sure you can elsewhere.
should I go and visit the hospitals and visit? I can't find any 'real' information out about my local hospitals..
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LuccaGirl
First of all congratulations!
I’m due early July and am doing everything through the local health authority (ASL) here in Florence. Basically when they accept the fact you’re pregnant (you have to go to the ASL and do a urine test with them, they don’t accept a shop bought test as confirmation) you get this little pregnancy booklet you’re your name and details on it called a “libretto della gravidenza. This has got a serious of pages which list all the tests you need to do and when. You have to get a doctor to sign every page of the booklet because then when you go for the tests they tear off and keep the page. When I got my booklet they also booked the 3 scans that are foreseen by the ASL.
As for a gyno, you can see one through the local health authority but I’m not sure how often and you’ll probably see someone different each time. I see someone privately about once a month.
This is my first baby so it’s all new to me too but I have to say I’m very impressed with the service you get from the ASL here. You get loads more tests here compared to in the UK, all for free, in fact going along to the ASL for monthly blood tests becomes a social activity (not a particularly fun one........).
I've also signed up for free pre-natal classes which are 10 sessions (compared to just 2 sessions my friend in the UK was offered).
Don’t hesitate to ask if you want any more info
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stellina
Hi LuccaGirl
First of all congratulations!
I’m due early July and am doing everything through the local health authority (ASL) here in Florence. Basically when they accept the fact you’re pregnant (you have to go to the ASL and do a urine test with them, they don’t accept a shop bought test as confirmation) you get this little pregnancy booklet you’re your name and details on it called a “libretto della gravidenza. This has got a serious of pages which list all the tests you need to do and when. You have to get a doctor to sign every page of the booklet because then when you go for the tests they tear off and keep the page. When I got my booklet they also booked the 3 scans that are foreseen by the ASL.
As for a gyno, you can see one through the local health authority but I’m not sure how often and you’ll probably see someone different each time. I see someone privately about once a month.
This is my first baby so it’s all new to me too but I have to say I’m very impressed with the service you get from the ASL here. You get loads more tests here compared to in the UK, all for free, in fact going along to the ASL for monthly blood tests becomes a social activity (not a particularly fun one........).
I've also signed up for free pre-natal classes which are 10 sessions (compared to just 2 sessions my friend in the UK was offered).
Don’t hesitate to ask if you want any more info
I agree, I'm due in May with my first child and so far my services here in Italy have been much better than what Ive heard of the u.k. Most of my friends have kids already and a lot of them are surprised of the amount of blood tests and appointments I have compared to what they had. Another thing is that my gyno seems to tell me a lot more info about my baby after every appointment that I have. I'm starting the pre-natal classes next week.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:32 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Stellina - sorry I didn't get back to you! Have you sorted out which hospital now? I'm seeing my friend tomorrow, if I can remember - main problem at the mo', think old age is setting in - I will ask her about torre galli. Or do you no longer need the info?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Stellina - sorry I didn't get back to you! Have you sorted out which hospital now? I'm seeing my friend tomorrow, if I can remember - main problem at the mo', think old age is setting in - I will ask her about torre galli. Or do you no longer need the info?
Ciao Testarossa, don't worry Havn't decided on a hospital yet, on my list of things to discuss with the gyno at the next appointment. If you could ask your friend about torre galli I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.