Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Giving birth in Florence

Giving birth in Florence

Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:39 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving birth in Florence

Originally Posted by karenitaly
luckily my OH is italian so i'm hoping he will stay by my side as much as possible and if he's not around i'll just pretend i'm sleeping. lol.
If you have Italian SKY there is a programme called "Reparto Maternità".

I think it is based on a hospital in Bologna but it might help you to pick up some vocab ready for the big day.

I don't know if anybody has told you this but when you are in labour you can go straight to Pronto Soccorso and they will register your entrance immediatley and make sure you get accompanied to the right place.

When I arrived at Valdagno some auxiliary wanted me to go in a wheelchair. I wanted to walk. He said I had to get in the wheelchair as there were a few corridors and two floors to go up.

A midwife or nurse there took my file of papers from me and started talking to me in very slow English even though I hadn't said a word to her in either language. I didn't have much breath or patience and remember shouting at her .....

" I can speak Italian - I can speak Italian - just get on with it !!! "

Karen - is your gyno called Francesco Visonà ?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If you have Italian SKY there is a programme called "Reparto Maternità".

I think it is based on a hospital in Bologna but it might help you to pick up some vocab ready for the big day.

I don't know if anybody has told you this but when you are in labour you can go straight to Pronto Soccorso and they will register your entrance immediatley and make sure you get accompanied to the right place.

When I arrived at Valdagno some auxiliary wanted me to go in a wheelchair. I wanted to walk. He said I had to get in the wheelchair as there were a few corridors and two floors to go up.

A midwife or nurse there took my file of papers from me and started talking to me in very slow English even though I hadn't said a word to her in either language. I didn't have much breath or patience and remember shouting at her .....

" I can speak Italian - I can speak Italian - just get on with it !!! "

Karen - is your gyno called Francesco Visonà ?
I keep on meaning to watch it but to be honest I always find something else on thats more interesting.

About the wheelchair story, they did that to me too, i was in a lot of pain one night, couldnt even sit so went to the hospital and they forced me into a wheelchair with a really slow nurse pushing me, my partner kept telling her that it hurts for me to sit and i would rather walk but she wouldn't listen.

Gyno is Mariano Krocco (spelling), studied in america and then worked in the american hospital in vicenza
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:55 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you do get Mr Visonà he was lovely and obviously has some English but I don't know how much. I was gibbering away in English to my new baby and I heard him tell the nurses what I had just said to her.

Oh - this sounds silly but if any of you new mums to be wear glasses then keep them on !

I don't know why but somebody took mine off me - it might have been when they gave me the little oxygen tube, and when my baby was born I couldn't see everything about her at 100%.

I made sure I had my glasses on the next time !
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

LuccaGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Girls,
Sorry to jump in..but I really need help. My husband and I just moved to the Lucca area from London. We have just found out we are pregnant..which is great, but I am terrified! I am 27, this will be my first one and I have NO clue. I speak and understand Italian a bit, but not medically. My husband is sweet but doesn't speak Italian and gets really nervous in hospitals. I am an American so the NHS and SSN are a bit scary for me.

Like I said, we just moved here, so we are still trying to get our residenza and join SSN. Would they cover an already pregnant girl?

We are still apart of NHS, so we could go back to Nottingham and have the baby. Or, we try to have 'it' in Lucca.

Really, this email is for a bit of support and advice. Does anyone know hospitals in Lucca or Massorosa? Do they have 'strange' birth position requirements....

Do you think there are any English speaking doctors?

Thanks so so much! Thank God for Expats!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

The ASL probably wont cover you but you are probably entitled to an E106 from the UK if you have paid tax an NI there. Get this sorted out pronto because to do it privately is really expensive. I have to go, but search the Italy section for more info on an E106 form.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl
Hi Girls,
Sorry to jump in..but I really need help. My husband and I just moved to the Lucca area from London. We have just found out we are pregnant..which is great, but I am terrified! I am 27, this will be my first one and I have NO clue. I speak and understand Italian a bit, but not medically. My husband is sweet but doesn't speak Italian and gets really nervous in hospitals. I am an American so the NHS and SSN are a bit scary for me.

Like I said, we just moved here, so we are still trying to get our residenza and join SSN. Would they cover an already pregnant girl?

We are still apart of NHS, so we could go back to Nottingham and have the baby. Or, we try to have 'it' in Lucca.

Really, this email is for a bit of support and advice. Does anyone know hospitals in Lucca or Massorosa? Do they have 'strange' birth position requirements....

Do you think there are any English speaking doctors?

Thanks so so much! Thank God for Expats!
Ive done it all privately, the things you will pay for is your gyno apointments which costs me 80euros a go (I dont mind paying privately because I get to see the same doctor who speaks english whereas if you go to the hospital, its a different doctor every time) and your first blood tests which is also about 100euros, i think once you get to a certain point in your pregnancy they become free cos i had another lot of blood tests last week with no charge...
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

You may also be charged for your post natal stay in hospital. About 1500 Euros where we live
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LivingHere
You may also be charged for your post natal stay in hospital. About 1500 Euros where we live
Thanks for your quick responses!
Do you think the ASL won't cover me cause I haven't put much money into the program...or are these extra charges all normal. I wouldn't mind paying for my gyno, but we can't afford to pay for it all (or privately.)

I will look into that E106 form.
thanks again...
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:23 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't panic -well try not to-. A few days and you get a lot of replies. You didn't say what you are doing here. Are either of you working? Because if you are you are entitled to health care.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
Don't panic -well try not to-. A few days and you get a lot of replies. You didn't say what you are doing here. Are either of you working? Because if you are you are entitled to health care.
i am staying calm! It helps to know there are a lot of Mums out there
My husband actually remotes works for the English government. I think maybe we could apply for an E109? I on the other hand am doing some freelance work..so no health coverage there.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:45 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know from other threads on this forum, an E106 is issued to those living and working abroad but paying uk national insurance. Is that your dearest's case?
By the way, we don't say sorry on this forum for needing help. But as you're American we'll forgive you
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
As far as I know from other threads on this forum, an E106 is issued to those living and working abroad but paying uk national insurance. Is that your dearest's case?
By the way, we don't say sorry on this forum for needing help. But as you're American we'll forgive you
I needs lots of help hee hee
Yes, my husband is still paying all the taxes and fees that the queen demands (NHS also!)
So, I was looking at the E106 and this is what the NHS says:
Working abroad for over two years
If you are working abroad for two years or more (up to a maximum of five years), your employer - or you if you are self-employed - should contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for the following forms:

E101: this will show that tax and NI contributions are paid in the UK.
E106: this will give cover for yourself and your family on the same basis as someone in the country you are living in.

Sounds right...
I am going to call now...wish me luck. ( I will need it with my funny accent: ) )
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:54 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say what part of the gov he works for but if it is Diplomatic corps don't they normally stump up for everything? My son has a few friends at his boarding school whose father's are diplomatic corps or forces and they get all their fees paid. One lad got a scholarship and received a letter from the gov. thanking him for saving taxpayers money!!!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
You don't say what part of the gov he works for but if it is Diplomatic corps don't they normally stump up for everything? My son has a few friends at his boarding school whose father's are diplomatic corps or forces and they get all their fees paid. One lad got a scholarship and received a letter from the gov. thanking him for saving taxpayers money!!!
Good thought TestaRossa. I wish, no, we are not entitled to anything in that way. We decided to move here, he just commutes a lot. poor guy.

I think the E106 sounds like what I need and will get.

LivingHere: Do you know if this will cover everything, or will I still need to pay for things like theh post natal stay?? I might follow Karenitaly and pay for my own gyno.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl
Good thought TestaRossa. I wish, no, we are not entitled to anything in that way. We decided to move here, he just commutes a lot. poor guy.

I think the E106 sounds like what I need and will get.

LivingHere: Do you know if this will cover everything, or will I still need to pay for things like theh post natal stay?? I might follow Karenitaly and pay for my own gyno.
my doctor has told me that I dont have to pay for post natal stay... but that could be b'cos my OH is Italian???? Im not sure. When I first found out I was pregnant, the hospital gave me a list of things that i'd have to pay for but its all in doctor codes so dont know what it says. Got a family friend who's a doctor and he did the translations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.