Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting information of a cars previous owner?

Getting information of a cars previous owner?

Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:50 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting information of a cars previous owner?

Surely, it's the number plate tied to the chasis? You can change number plates, but the chasis number remains the same. All ACI need is the chasis number to get the history of the car from the PRA up until it was exported. There are on-line agencies that do the work too.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

tradyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sancho
I'm absolutely sure the chassis number IS tied to the car number plate(s) and the previous owner(s) in the records. Also sure there's a way of tracing the history of a car via its chassis number. Don't the police do that sort of thing ?

In fact I thought that was part of the raison d'ĂȘtre of a chassis number - http://posizionetelai.it/?page_id=227

If the agency write back in Italian tell us and someone'll translate it.

I expect they'll mention fees. That'll be the ACI/PRA fees (for each car) and the agency's own fees.

At some time you'll need to tell them the chassis numbers. Do it like this

FIAT 500 - numero telaio XXXXXXXX

FERRARI TESTAROSSA - numero telaio XXXXXX

APE 50 - numero telaio XXXXXXXX

Have you got the logbook ("carta di circolazione", commonly called a "libretto") for any of them ?
Yes, its absolutely sure its all tied up, the question is if the Italian authorities will supply us this information. I am 100% sure they have it, the trick is to find out how to get it and from whom. Fees are not really a problem, there is quite a lot of money on the table (3 of the cars are mercs SL 500)... No, we dont have the logbooks, if we had them we send them with the cars, usually imported cars without logbooks fetch a much lower price on the 2nd hand market than cars with a logbook.

Originally Posted by 37100
Surely, it's the number plate tied to the chasis? You can change number plates, but the chasis number remains the same. All ACI need is the chasis number to get the history of the car from the PRA up until it was exported. There are on-line agencies that do the work too.
Online - agencies, any one you could point me to? As said, my Italian is non-existing. Again, I am 100% sure its recorded, the trick is to get hold of the info....
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

bump reg online agencies...

have emailed 4 I found online but no one is getting back to me, any suggestions??

thanks
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:36 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tradyan
bump reg online agencies...

have emailed 4 I found online but no one is getting back to me, any suggestions??

thanks
Can't recommend any personally. The ACI is probably the best option. However, I took a peak and you'd need to provide a 'codice fiscale' - a sort of tax number. Do you have one? And I popped in to our local ACI and ask what you needed to do. They said that a 'visura' only provides the current state of the car on the PRA -Italian register. So, surely it would just show as being exported? Though it would possibly show the last number plate, but I didn't ask that. If you want the car's history, you need an 'estratto cronologico'. That takes a few days. It is just a 'bit of paper' and has no legal standing. Would it be enough for the Swedish authorities?

It is not a suprise that no one has replied to your emails. That is what we are up against here all the time.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

P.S. "To whom it may concern" does not exist in Italian.

If you don't have the name of the person to write to, a generic heading is simply :

Gentile signore/a or Egregio signore/a
A chi di spettanza is used for to whom it may concern
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Can't recommend any personally. The ACI is probably the best option. However, I took a peak and you'd need to provide a 'codice fiscale' - a sort of tax number. Do you have one? And I popped in to our local ACI and ask what you needed to do. They said that a 'visura' only provides the current state of the car on the PRA -Italian register. So, surely it would just show as being exported? Though it would possibly show the last number plate, but I didn't ask that. If you want the car's history, you need an 'estratto cronologico'. That takes a few days. It is just a 'bit of paper' and has no legal standing. Would it be enough for the Swedish authorities?

It is not a suprise that no one has replied to your emails. That is what we are up against here all the time.
We have a Swedish tax code, but not an Italian (or German) we are only importing the cars... Do you think a Swedish will do (guess not)

I think the 'estratto cronologico' would work just fine, if the Swedes want to check it up they can contact they colleagues in Italy...

Hmm, yeah, living in Germany I dont have to deal with no replies to my emails, so still need to learn...

Originally Posted by clint
BWT, I like that there are 2 simultaneous treads going on here, if I hand around long enough I may even pick up some Italian....
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, beg to differ on this one. 'A chiunque possa interessare' was the phrase agreed by myself and British Consulate in Naples when such a document heading was required (many many years ago!).
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

Originally Posted by ononno
Erm, beg to differ on this one. 'A chiunque possa interessare' was the phrase agreed by myself and British Consulate in Naples when such a document heading was required (many many years ago!).
ciao for now,
'o nonno
I have seen that used too

However first lesson of Italiano commerciale at Istituto Tecnico per periti aziendali was how an Italian business letter shoud be set out ie where addresses, dates etc should go and how people/organisation should be addressed spettabile for companies, alla cortese attenzione del Sig/ra ... .
If no department/person is known then I was told to use a chi di spettenza meaning a chi di dovere
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen that used too

However first lesson of Italiano commerciale at Istituto Tecnico per periti aziendali was how an Italian business letter shoud be set out ie where addresses, dates etc should go and how people/organisation should be addressed spettabile for companies, alla cortese attenzione del Sig/ra ... .
If no department/person is known then I was told to use a chi di spettenza meaning a chi di dovere
OK, but 'a chi di dovere' is rather more for a specific person or organisation, e.g. an insurance company; rather than a generic statement to anyone who may wish to examine documentation such as CC, Polizia, comune etc. when it is better to use the 'a chiunque...'
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

OK, I checked, and they said a estratto cronologico should work just fine, anyone who can help out to get hold of them?

Please? thanks for all your help so far!!!

PS: As said before, happy to pay for the help if needed. we just need to something over to the Swedes...

Last edited by tradyan; Sep 24th 2012 at 10:49 am. Reason: add missing text