Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Genova to Dunkirk

Genova to Dunkirk

Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

enterprise1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Genova to Dunkirk

I'm sure a few people on here have driven back to the UK from Italy...... I tried it through France and got stung by about £150 of tolls I couldnt believe it. Now wonder the roads were clear and free from traffic. When I press the button to avoid tolls it says the route isnt much longer but takes me through Switzerland etc...... Now Switzerland isnt in the EU and I've heard all sorts of tales.... So advice please by hardend drivers out there. I cant afford to go through France again.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:38 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Genova to Dunkirk

Did you know that our friend Ernesto got banned from another forum just for writing his own name in larger letters ?

My dad recently went back from here through Austria, Germany and Holland in order to avoid France ... but I am already quite far up North.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

If you drive through Switzerland you will have to pay for a Swiss road tax sticker which is valid for 12 months, even if you are just driving through.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Right lets try that again......................

Anyone out there driven back from Genova to Dunkirk and avoided the tolls without getting out and walking?
Must be hardend drivers out there somewhere who can give advice?

Mind you a Norfolk Line crew member said to me I was the first Brit reg car he had seen for ages.... So maybe I should be asking this in Polish..... LOL
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enterprise1999
Right lets try that again......................

Anyone out there driven back from Genova to Dunkirk and avoided the tolls without getting out and walking?
Must be hardend drivers out there somewhere who can give advice?

Mind you a Norfolk Line crew member said to me I was the first Brit reg car he had seen for ages.... So maybe I should be asking this in Polish..... LOL
herrummphhh - I'll have to check if we allow different coloured posts as well as larger letters. You might just be about ready for a ban you know
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Why are there the facilities if you can't use them...... ????......
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Anyway if anyone can help please get in touch
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:41 pm

Why are there the facilities if you can't use them...... ????......
Ask Ernesto. He got banned from some forum for using them.

I'd help if I could but being so far North - folks from my house have taken different routes.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:43 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure a few people on here have driven back to the UK from Italy...... I tried it through France and got stung by about £150 of tolls I couldnt believe it. Now wonder the roads were clear and free from traffic. When I press the button to avoid tolls it says the route isnt much longer but takes me through Switzerland etc...... Now Switzerland isnt in the EU and I've heard all sorts of tales.... So advice please by hardend drivers out there. I cant afford to go through France again.

I have reduced the quote to make it more cost effective to display, Less electrons and all that. You can get through France without paying but it will take you a week.

Switzerland has got more hills, Which in turn causes combustion engines to produce more CO2 because they work more, So they tax you for it plus they don't want everyone taking a shortcut through the country. There is no winning Pay the tolls or Fly.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 24th 2009 at 8:50 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I have reduced the quote to make it more cost effective to display, Less electrons and all that. You can get through France without paying but it will take you a week.
Clever clogs

You mean it takes a week because you avoid all motorway routes ???
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Clever clogs

You mean it takes a week because you avoid all motorway routes ???
If you don't use the Autoroute then you have about 700 sets of traffic lights to go through. Personally I approve of charging for clear Motorways, Because I don't have to pay for car tax here, The French abolished it in favour of tolls. It can be a nice drive if you plan it well, Plus if you don't use the motorway the odds of paying a fine or two to the Gendarmes increases. They spend most of their time on the lighter roads.

If the OP has a decent Sat Nav he can set it up to avoid Motorways but also add waypoints so he does not go in to Switzerland. Dead simple like. But im guessing the route will look like a plate of Spaghetti.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 24th 2009 at 9:01 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
If you don't use the Autoroute then you have about 700 sets of traffic lights to go through. Personally I approve of charging for clear Motorways, Because I don't have to pay car tax here. It can be a nice drive if you plan it well, Plus if you don't use the motorway the odds of paying a fine or two to the Gendarmes increases. They spend most of their time on the lighter roads.
I don't presume you pay car tax in Italy but would you be happy to pay all motorway fees when travelling through Italy or would you try and avoid some of them? They're not that cheap here either.

If you had time and were on holiday then surely you'd take some of the scenic routes? And avoid the tolls.

P.S we get charged - but not all our motorways are clear. In fact some of them are very bad.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:04 pm

I don't presume you pay car tax in Italy but would you be happy to pay all motorway fees when travelling through Italy or would you try and avoid some of them? They're not that cheap here either.

If you had time and were on holiday then surely you'd take some of the scenic routes? And avoid the tolls.

P.S we get charged - but not all our motorways are clear. In fact some of them are very bad.
Paris is the main bottle neck in the route and the bigger cities around the med, I added a bit to my last post whilst you were posting. The French are tighter hence the motorways are free er.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

CO2 is fine might end up warming the place up............... Never seen such rain as in Sicily last week..... ended up comming home...............

So right whos driven to Dunkirk from Genova ?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

davehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant futuredavehornet6 has a brilliant future

Ask Ernesto. He got banned from some forum for using them.

I'd help if I could but being so far North - folks from my house have taken different routes.
We drove from england to bologna at end september 2009. we also used norfolk line, at silly crossing times (2am) its only £12 each way. from dunkerque took A25 to lille (dont remember a toll here), A1 south to A26 Reims,A4/A26 to Troyes, A5 to Dijon, A6 to 20km short of Lyon, A46 onto A43 through tunnel du frejus into Italy. that whole trip through france cost us £80 in tolls in a car (most expensive toll was at the tunnel, about £30). from the tunnel to bologna cost about £17. i have never and will never use a sat nav. i find good maps are much easier to get around with.
it is expensive to drive on quality roads in france, you can drive through for free but suspension will be trashed and have to change roads every 10 miles on average

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.