Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Gasolio for heating - costs anyone??

Gasolio for heating - costs anyone??

Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:01 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gasolio for heating - costs anyone??

We are looking at renting a place that is oil heated. Anyone have this at the moment? I've had it in the UK and know that the price is affected by the market price of oil at the time, rather than other forms of heating which are fixed price. Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what they are paying per year or quarter at the moment. Let me know how large an area or size of house you are heating too please! Ta!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gasolio for heating - costs anyone??

TR - we have oil and do our utmost NOT to use it !!! its mega expensive - at least here in Piemonte. We have installed a norwegian wood burning stove cos we couldnt afford the oil anymore. It may be different in Florence but I just wanted you to be aware. When we first called up the oil company to fill our tank and got the bill ( with loads of IVA on it) we nearly fainted - it was about 3 or 4 times the bill we used to get in the Channel Islands)
Dont want you to get that lovely big house and then freeze your socks off
Old Nov 14th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

LOL Testa.....when I saw your house link last night, my first thought was "you'll never heat it"!

When we first moved we ran the house at normal British temperatures and it cost us £600/1000 euros for 4.5 weeks oil (when the exchange rate was 60p (ish) to the euro). We then spent two years trying never to use the heating in any way. If the house is open plan, high ceilinged, stone floor to ceiling, then heating in the winter will be an issue. We had a huge open fire place, and that was pretty much the only heat we used. It still cost us in excess of 2000 euros a year to completely freeze, not counting the wood deliveries.

katu.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I remember asking this same question last year AFTER we had moved. We have a pretty big house. Not sure of the square metres but there are three bedrooms upstairs two downstairs, living room, kitchen, four (yes four) bathrooms. We only use two. And we have double glazing

We paid just under ten thousand last year in gasolio. Its warm enough and I rationalise it because our rent is low. We end up paying in rent and heating less than some people I know pay just in rent for a smaller house.

The price does change and our neighbour organises keeping the tank full. I know that she only buys when the price is right. I have seen the invoices though and it has been a euro a litre.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:57 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

This has probably the same area - only 3 upstairs beds but the biggest would comfortably sleep 10 singles!! It's bigger than my son's dorm at school! Then two sitting rooms, dining room, kitchen, utility etc and no double glazing. The coldest it gets here is about -3 but enough to need the heating! Told my OH but he seemed unfazed - felt an extra €500 a month in gasolio was better than an extra €1500 in rent for some of the houses I've viewed, so I suppose I can see his point! I also realised it can't be all gasolio as there were gas jets on the stove top.....so either there is metano or a bombola somewhere....I'm going to have to check again when I return on Friday. It isn't that far out of the city - my daughters school would be closer than where we currently live, it's kind of the higher ground surrounding Florence if you see what I mean so gas does get out there. Thanks for the replies!

Any clue what the current price per litre is?? I can check but just wondered...
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I have seen the invoices, although I don't know what she actually pays. It is about the same as the diesel price and the petrol stations. 3000L for €3000.