Florence

Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Florence

Hey guys

I am flying to Florence on Sept 22nd for 6 days.

Could you advise on great day trips, I am thinking Sienna and Luca.

Also, tips for the city, what to avoid etc........

I have my 5 year old with me, so any advice appreciated!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:31 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florence

If you only have 6 days I wouldn't worry about day trips. Siena is a long boring bus journey - very pretty but not a lot there for your 5 year old once you have seen the Campo, Lucca is nice but again probably not with a 5 year old! I have one you see.....

In Florence go to La Specola for the stuffed animals and the current mineral exhibition - if you can get the inclusive ticket that takes you into the Boboli gardens - always a hit with kids!

If it is still on my daughter loved the Galileo exhibition in Palazzo Strozzi - they give kids a kit to take around that helps them look at things. Go up to Piazzale Michelangelo, if you don't want to walk you can take the 12 or 13 bus that goes around the outside of the city - worth the ride just for that, and it drops you at the piazzale. Go to the fruit and meat market in San Lorenzo, not sure of the opening times in September but definitely in the mornings. Also remember the Ponte Vecchio and the Mercato Nuovo where the boar is that you rub to return to Florence in the future.

The Palazzo Vecchio is open every day and runs tours designed for families. We did the secret passages tour with my daughter last week, but she loves it in there anyway - remember this is our Town Hall!!

If you think your child would go for the Uffizi to see Venus or the Accademia to see David make sure you book advance tickets. This can be done on-line or at the venues or the ticket office in the Orsanmichele church.

Piazza della Repubblicca has a carousel. Don't forget ice cream and there is always MacD's if you are really stuck!!! There is loads more but it depends on your child. We've lived here 3 years now and still haven't run out of things to do with ours!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Have to disagree about Lucca.....hiring bikes and spending an hour riding around the walls is fantastic fun. There are lots of lovely play parks in Lucca too on the way around if you need to stop for a breather.

The climbing the towers in Lucca is a must, we always liked the one with olive trees on top the most and you will get the most beautiful views of the town and surrunding countryside.

The duomo is a good hideaway if the sun is beating down too much, lots of new stuff to see and a bit of culture too.

katu.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:52 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

It would depend on the 5 year old - mine would have been too small to ride any of the bikes (including the one you attach to the back of an adult bike) and too big to go in a seat. I liked Lucca - we were there last week and are considering a move that way, but with only 6 days and a five year old in tow I personally think there is more than enough in Flo without making life difficult! My dd asks within seconds of starting a journey if we are nearly there!

The comic museum went down well with my 14 year old though!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

there are also swimming pools, playgrounds, a wonderful carousel.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pansy
there are also swimming pools, playgrounds, a wonderful carousel.
Thank you for your feedback, I am so excited!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:08 am
Just Joined

rolex is an unknown quantity at this point

can you get a tain to florence
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:01 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rolex
can you get a tain to florence
Huh? From where?