Reload this Page >

Finding work in Palermo

Finding work in Palermo

Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

gee1471 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in Palermo

Ciao tutti,
I was wondering if anybody can give me any tips, advice ect on finding work in Palermo. As a Brit with a very low level of Italian I'm a bit unsure how to approach it as I can't just go into businesses and ask for work as my Italian isn't up to scratch. I'm really only looking for a job of a low level something along the lines of cleaner, warehouse, shop maybe porter in a hotel. I'm working to improve and can see My Italian is getting better. However I don't really know how to look I've bought a few giornale di lavoro with no results or real leads to work. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or maybe contacts (longshot) or really knows anything that could be an advantage to me. Anyway any responce would be very much apprieciated. Thnks for taking the time to read this. Many thanks.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finding work in Palermo

Originally Posted by gee1471
Ciao tutti,
I was wondering if anybody can give me any tips, advice ect on finding work in Palermo. As a Brit with a very low level of Italian I'm a bit unsure how to approach it as I can't just go into businesses and ask for work as my Italian isn't up to scratch. I'm really only looking for a job of a low level something along the lines of cleaner, warehouse, shop maybe porter in a hotel. I'm working to improve and can see My Italian is getting better. However I don't really know how to look I've bought a few giornale di lavoro with no results or real leads to work. So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or maybe contacts (longshot) or really knows anything that could be an advantage to me. Anyway any responce would be very much apprieciated. Thnks for taking the time to read this. Many thanks.
Difficult, I can only think of approaching the english language schools. Or tell your new Italian friends that you need work. My first 2 jobs were gardening for garden landscapers!!! and that was because I asked any one and every one for work. I just added it into the conversation. I had never even planted a flower before.

Good luck, keep asking everyone.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

gee1471 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Finding work in Palermo

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone else have any other tips or help they can gove me im getting really desperate now im thiking maybe ill have to return to the UK as my money is starting to run low
as always any advice would be very much appreciated. xx
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gee1471
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone else have any other tips or help they can gove me im getting really desperate now im thiking maybe ill have to return to the UK as my money is starting to run low
as always any advice would be very much appreciated. xx
I think the lack of response is because it is so difficult to find work over here and because Sicily has such high unemployment.

Go find the belitz school or the british school. http://www.britishschool.it/british/
http://careerservices.berlitz.com/Eu...fo=IT&cCode=35

Or advertise in shop windows as a private teacher.

Good Luck
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao, I can imagine it being fairly difficult in Palermo. However, have you tried hotels? Very often a fairly big commercial hotel could have a need for an English speaking assistant concierge or night porter. You could also try a travel agency or tour operator; again English speaking personnel could be useful to someone; or perhaps a big estate agent type Gabetti that advertise their properties internationally. You might also like to try up Cefalu' way, as there is quite a bit of what I described along there.
Hope it works out for you.
Ciao for now,
'o nonno