British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Fat people - I need help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/fat-people-i-need-help-789361/)

The4BellsLondon Apr 30th 2013 8:37 pm

Re: Fat people - I need help

We all need to timetable 30 mins of getting sweaty into everyday! We have as a species, become to sedentary ... Hence our weight and subsequent health issues.

Calories in should be less than calories out to lose weight. Simple fact but hard for people to adhere to!

duffer May 3rd 2013 12:11 pm

Update,

I've completed 8 weeks of this diet and my weight is 80.8kg so basically I've lost 4.5kg. So, initially I lost a couple of kilos very quickly, which is quite normal, then for a few weeks I wasn't losing anything but more importantly wasn't gaining. However, this past week or two I've seen more progress and now I want to break that 80kg barrier because it's given me renewed hope as recently I had doubts that I could to continue.

Actually, it's strange to think this is a diet because you should see the amount I eat some days... Or maybe the secret is in all that green tea I drink!

angeli May 4th 2013 6:00 am

A result Duffer, well done, glad I suggested this change of eating to you and glad it's working. Keep at it and keep giving us updates please.

Garbatellamike May 6th 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10690240)
Update,

I've completed 8 weeks of this diet and my weight is 80.8kg so basically I've lost 4.5kg. So, initially I lost a couple of kilos very quickly, which is quite normal, then for a few weeks I wasn't losing anything but more importantly wasn't gaining. However, this past week or two I've seen more progress and now I want to break that 80kg barrier because it's given me renewed hope as recently I had doubts that I could to continue.

Actually, it's strange to think this is a diet because you should see the amount I eat some days... Or maybe the secret is in all that green tea I drink!

:thumbsup: good effort mate keep going - plateau and drop, plateau and drop is normal etc. Keep the faith

duffer May 6th 2013 6:46 am

Cheers Mike and Angeli,

Although I'm back up to 81.4kg today, I'm a bit constipated due to the stress of all the stuff I need to do this week before the trade fair.

I haven't taken the suits out yet but I'm feeling confident they'll fit!

angeli May 6th 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10693809)
Cheers Mike and Angeli,

Although I'm back up to 81.4kg today, I'm a bit constipated due to the stress of all the stuff I need to do this week before the trade fair.

I haven't taken the suits out yet but I'm feeling confident they'll fit!

Can we have a photo please...... u in the suit......Hopefully drinking lots of liquids ???? 5 days a week will relieve the constipation !

Pecora Nera May 8th 2013 9:02 am

Hi Duffer,

Ok I am going to join you in trying to lose some weight. First well done on the 4 Kilo. :)

Today I checked out at 84 kilo, at 172cm it gives me a BMI of 28.39 or in English Fat (overweight) but not really really fat (obese)

6 years ago my weight was 80 kilo, I know this because I used to check my ryainair baggage by standing on the scales with bag in hand.

Scratcher May 8th 2013 11:38 am

Pecora Nera, Just up your exercise a little and lower your food intake a little and the weight will go.

I have followed this thread throughout and have not contributed as Duffer was looking for fast results and wanted to diet. I am pleased he has seen a good weight loss in a short period of time.

Three years ago I was 93kgs, not fat, but quite soft around the middle and fairly inactive. I started eating less, and eating more healthily while at the same time exercising a little more. I am now 83kg, well toned but not muscular, with very little body fat left. I still enjoy my wine, beer and fatty foods but consume them all in more moderate amounts.

Good luck.

Scratcher

SirTK May 8th 2013 4:40 pm

"Three years ago I was 93kgs, not fat, but quite soft around the middle and fairly inactive. I started eating less, and eating more healthily while at the same time exercising a little more."

With great respect, Scratcher, the words "that's easy for you to say" spring to mind, as there are those of us who already have an extremely healthy diet and who do exercise regularly. The problem is that good food, good wine and a healthy lifestyle all combine to an exuberance that results in some excess weight from time to time. My question is always - what do I give up?

Many of my mates think I have a bit of a freaky diet -fish/shellfish/fruit/vegetables/salads/tons of tomatoes/miso, hardly any red meat, only olive oil, skimmed milk, low fat spread, yoghurt etc etc. I cut the fat off everything, don't take sugar in anything, have no sweets, biscuits, cake, snacks, junk food, ready meals, yet still struggle with weight. I swim every morning - in summer - play golf twice a week, go on brisk walks (about 8 miles is right for me) and generally have an active life, even though of fairly advanced years.

What I'm really saying is that some people actually DO have to diet from time to time, so I'm in great sympathy with Duffer in his quest.

What I am not prepared to do is to relinquish the carefree exuberance with which I live my life - even though that is what causes the need to do a bit of dieting for a while.

Here endeth the lesson............:)

Scratcher May 8th 2013 9:14 pm

SirTK, I was just trying to encourage Pecora Nera that to lose weight does not necessary mean going on a diet, but a small change in lifestyle can be equally rewarding. This is what worked for me.

I was overweight because I consumed too much of what I enjoyed. I haven't stopped drinking, or eating ice cream, I am just more careful on the quantities I consume.

Maybe you need to occasionally diet because you are less careful on your consumption. ;)

Scratcher

SirTK May 8th 2013 9:21 pm

No offence intended, it's just that you said you lost weight by eating more healthily and exercised more - I was merely pointing out that those things are not an option in my case, so some kind of temporary diet is needed.

Different strokes etc.

The4BellsLondon May 8th 2013 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by SirTK (Post 10699033)
No offence intended, it's just that you said you lost weight by eating more healthily and exercised more - I was merely pointing out that those things are not an option in my case, so some kind of temporary diet is needed.

Different strokes etc.

Even if you eat healthily you can overeat ... It all comes back to calories in need to be less than calories out of you wish to lose weight.

Scratcher May 8th 2013 9:36 pm

No offense taken, but your post is hardly a lesson. If you don't want to moderate your consumption (or increase your exercise) then you will gain weight. You are obviously happy to continue your yoyo lifestyle of over consumption followed by diet.

Scratcher

6monthshere6monthsthere May 9th 2013 9:14 am

Diet threads always make me hungry so much talk of food!

As with many things the issue is not knowing the right thing to do it is having the resolve to get it done.

Pecora Nera May 13th 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scratcher (Post 10699017)
SirTK, I was just trying to encourage Pecora Nera that to lose weight does not necessary mean going on a diet, but a small change in lifestyle can be equally rewarding. This is what worked for me.

I was overweight because I consumed too much of what I enjoyed. I haven't stopped drinking, or eating ice cream, I am just more careful on the quantities I consume.

Maybe you need to occasionally diet because you are less careful on your consumption. ;)

Scratcher

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a healthy Mediterranean diet, except when Mrs Sensible isn't watching, then it all goes to pot and I hunt out the biscuits.

Figgerty May 13th 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10584142)
How would they put the tape worm in? I didn't know you could buy them? Hope they don't put them up the bum.

I took swimming classes last year but it didn't seem to do the trick. This year I've swapped swimming classes for postural gym - I started going twice a week since February but it's not high impact at all.

How could acupunture help with weight loss?

I failed to give up smoking when first I tried, before the second attempt I tried acupuncture and was successful. If you wish to try Weightwatchers, there is an online version but I think a weekly weigh in with a tough cookie would benefit you more. Keep clear of the tape worm or it may enter your hanging bits.

6monthshere6monthsthere May 13th 2013 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Figgerty (Post 10706432)
I failed to give up smoking when first I tried, before the second attempt I tried acupuncture and was successful. If you wish to try Weightwatchers, there is an online version but I think a weekly weigh in with a tough cookie would benefit you more. Keep clear of the tape worm or it may enter your hanging bits.

I failed to give up smoking first time
Did not have acupuncture and was successful second time.

I did not drink coca cola for 3months before, maybe not drinking cocacola for 3 months will help you give up?

It has a 100% success rate to date:D

Garbatellamike May 13th 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10706520)
I failed to give up smoking first time
Did not have acupuncture and was successful second time.

I did not drink coca cola for 3months before, maybe not drinking cocacola for 3 months will help you give up?

It has a 100% success rate to date:D

And extending the same logic - every time I have run in white trainers in Italy I have never been attacked by a crocodile so white trainers are crocodile-proof - yes?

Pipistrelli May 13th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10706520)

Quit, the NHS etc etc are certainly missing a trick here then aren't they?!!! I bet some doctor is slapping his forehead right now in utter disbelief he didn't think of this before :p

On a serious note, I'm glad giving up coca cola worked for you.

Giving up Cola would certainly help when trying to lose weight. So much sugar in fizzy drinks. Not going to advocate drinking the Zero stuff because it has no nutritional benefit whatsoever and Coca Cola the company annoys me no end. Plus, working backwards from 6months logic, clearly it makes you reach for them ciggies...

SirTK May 13th 2013 10:17 pm

Smoking?........Coca cola?.............

"MacPhee", said Rindercella, "I didn't realise I was in such unhealthy company".

Pecora Nera May 14th 2013 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10706542)
And extending the same logic - every time I have run in white trainers in Italy I have never been attacked by a crocodile so white trainers are crocodile-proof - yes?

I need to run out and buy some white trainers :)

duffer May 14th 2013 8:05 am

Hi all,

I'm back from quite an exhausting 4 day trade fair and very pleased to say that I managed to comfortably wear 4 different suits. And not one of them ripped at the seams when I bent over - Yes! It did happen to me once last year but it was a cheap Zara suit of which the trousers came apart at the backside, luckily for me I was wearing dark knickers and kept my jacket on at all times.

Even today, we have clients visiting and I'm wearing a suit that I had thought I would never get into. I need to also put extra holes on my belt too!

Thanks for all the support :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera (Post 10697664)
Hi Duffer,

Ok I am going to join you in trying to lose some weight. First well done on the 4 Kilo. :)

Today I checked out at 84 kilo, at 172cm it gives me a BMI of 28.39 or in English Fat (overweight) but not really really fat (obese)

6 years ago my weight was 80 kilo, I know this because I used to check my ryainair baggage by standing on the scales with bag in hand.

I certainly recommend this fasting diet for a couple of months to get you down to a weight you're happy with before you decide on a next course of action. Whether it be a tapeworm, a combination lock on the biscuit tin that only Mrs Sensible knows or a 10km run at the crack of dawn each morning, you yourself will know what you will be capable of doing. :)

Originally Posted by SirTK (Post 10698469)
The problem is that good food, good wine and a healthy lifestyle all combine to an exuberance that results in some excess weight from time to time. My question is always - what do I give up?

What I'm really saying is that some people actually DO have to diet from time to time, so I'm in great sympathy with Duffer in his quest.

What I am not prepared to do is to relinquish the carefree exuberance with which I live my life - even though that is what causes the need to do a bit of dieting for a while.

Yes SirTK, I totally agree 100% with you. My lifestyle allows little time for exercise. I can binge eat therefore I can binge diet, surely?

Originally Posted by angeli (Post 10694069)
Can we have a photo please...... u in the suit......Hopefully drinking lots of liquids ???? 5 days a week will relieve the constipation !

I'm so much more relaxed now that the show has ended so no such worries anymore.

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera (Post 10706402)
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a healthy Mediterranean diet, except when Mrs Sensible isn't watching, then it all goes to pot and I hunt out the biscuits.

I like pot too.

On a side note, last night for dinner I decided to treat myself to a large chicken curry, beer, ice cream (Ringo), chocolate chip cookies and some nougat.

Today, I'm at my lowest weight in years: 80.0Kg on the nose!!!

HADENOUGHPIZZA May 14th 2013 8:25 am

:thumbs_up:Welcome back and well done ! It may not be the most logical or the healthiest diet around but it worked for you . I think the most important thing is to have the will power to keep going .

duffer May 14th 2013 8:51 am

Oh thank you. One factor that may have helped in losing the 5kg that I failed to mention has been an increased desire to masturbate whilst dieting. It may have been all the Twinnings green tea I drink or a lack of sex (with OH) due to my bad back or just basically this diet making me horny?

Anyway, rather than raid the biscuit tin late at night I just knock one off instead.

Has masturbating helped anyone else lose weight? This is a serious question.

Garbatellamike May 14th 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10707063)
Today, I'm at my lowest weight in years: 80.0Kg on the nose!!!

well done mate - great effort :thumbsup:

6monthshere6monthsthere May 14th 2013 9:18 am

80kgs well done, you are persistent for sure.

p.s. the coca cola thing was made up, i was highlighting that we tend to look at success as caused by 1 thing we did, used tried etc, i.e. i did this and it worked therefore doing this should help you make it work too.

Garbatellamike May 14th 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10707164)
80kgs well done, you are persistent for sure.

p.s. the coca cola thing was made up, i was highlighting that we tend to look at success as caused by 1 thing we did, used tried etc, i.e. i did this and it worked therefore doing this should help you make it work too.

OK and I made up the crocodile thing today - sorry :sneaky:

duffer May 14th 2013 9:26 am

Yeah also the masturbating story isn't true... err... actually scratch that
:o

Pipistrelli May 14th 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10707117)
Oh thank you. One factor that may have helped in losing the 5kg that I failed to mention has been an increased desire to masturbate whilst dieting. It may have been all the Twinnings green tea I drink or a lack of sex (with OH) due to my bad back or just basically this diet making me horny?

Anyway, rather than raid the biscuit tin late at night I just knock one off instead.

Has masturbating helped anyone else lose weight? This is a serious question.

Golly gosh! You're not backwards in coming forwards, are you!

duffer May 14th 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pipistrelli (Post 10707325)
Golly gosh! You're not backwards in coming forwards, are you!

I come in all directions

Scratcher May 14th 2013 12:06 pm

That was quite normal for Duffer. Ask him about his gimp. :rofl:

Scratcher

Garbatellamike May 14th 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Scratcher (Post 10707390)
That was quite mild for Duffer. Ask him about his gimp. :rofl:

Scratcher

fixed that for you Scratcher :D

HADENOUGHPIZZA May 14th 2013 3:32 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ess-sizes.html

could this be the answer :blink:

duffer May 14th 2013 3:45 pm

Where are the flies on those if I need quick access?

HADENOUGHPIZZA May 14th 2013 3:51 pm

no quick access here , you work off extra calories trying to get at yourself ...

6monthshere6monthsthere May 14th 2013 10:06 pm

The dailybullshi%

I cannot believe anyone reads it, seriously what is the point of that heap of crap publication?