Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Expat community in Siracusa

Expat community in Siracusa

Old Jul 29th 2017, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

NeilCushley is on a distinguished road
Default Expat community in Siracusa

Hi all! We are moving to Siracusa area of Sicily at the end of August and would appreciate details of any UK Expat groups or community activities so that we can make friends when we get there and also to learn Italian language!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Nyclinda1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat community in Siracusa

Originally Posted by NeilCushley
Hi all! We are moving to Siracusa area of Sicily at the end of August and would appreciate details of any UK Expat groups or community activities so that we can make friends when we get there and also to learn Italian language!
Hi Neil, my husband and I moved to Sicily on 1 August. We are living in Avola, a town about 20 minutes south of Siracusa city. Don't know of any expat group yet in Siracusa Province. More people in Catania. when you get here please get in touch. Always looking to meet new people.
Linda
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi Linda,
We have bought a Villa near Cassibile and Fontain Bianche which is not far from Avola! Our estate agent from Gabetti (Davide Lombarde) told us about a couple from Luton who had bought a place from him and had just moved over, is this you? He was going to put us in touch so that we could swap our experiences of relocating to Sicily. Would be great to meet up when we are finally over to live in Sicily from about 7th September we are driving down with our 2 dogs and taking our time and making a holiday of the relocation so no set in stone arrival date! It might be an idea if there is not one already set up to try and establish an Ex pat group in the area to swap information and experiences and learn Italian etc. what do you think? So stay in touch and talk soon.

Neil & David.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NeilCushley
Hi Linda,
We have bought a Villa near Cassibile and Fontain Bianche which is not far from Avola! Our estate agent from Gabetti (Davide Lombarde) told us about a couple from Luton who had bought a place from him and had just moved over, is this you? He was going to put us in touch so that we could swap our experiences of relocating to Sicily. Would be great to meet up when we are finally over to live in Sicily from about 7th September we are driving down with our 2 dogs and taking our time and making a holiday of the relocation so no set in stone arrival date! It might be an idea if there is not one already set up to try and establish an Ex pat group in the area to swap information and experiences and learn Italian etc. what do you think? So stay in touch and talk soon.

Neil & David.
Hi again,
How wonderful. I know that is a fabulous area. Like the expat group idea, we can talk more about it when you're over. We are not the couple you mentioned. We are renting a wonderful flat, not buying, or at least not now. Who knows. Sounds like a great way to relocate by driving leisurely down. I've lived in italy before, just not Sicily. Oh oh our pizza delivery just arrived. Might be easer to friend me if you are on Facebook. Not the easiest to send messages here. My name is Linda Love and my photonics myself and my husband. Probably says I live in Gozo. Look forward to meeting you and David. Cheers
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nyclinda1
Hi again,
How wonderful. I know that is a fabulous area. Like the expat group idea, we can talk more about it when you're over. We are not the couple you mentioned. We are renting a wonderful flat, not buying, or at least not now. Who knows. Sounds like a great way to relocate by driving leisurely down. I've lived in italy before, just not Sicily. Oh oh our pizza delivery just arrived. Might be easer to friend me if you are on Facebook. Not the easiest to send messages here. My name is Linda Love and my photonics myself and my husband. Probably says I live in Gozo. Look forward to meeting you and David. Cheers
FB profile shows me living in Xaghra (village on Gozo)
Old Sep 10th 2017, 7:34 am
Just Joined

HI guys. Hope your trip to Sicily is going well. Have you arrived yet? Weather getting wonderful now.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

MigsAngel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My wife and I own a house in Fontane Bianche, and are there as often as we can come over. We have a couple of local friends and one that has helped us work with a local builder to do renovations on our house. Our next trip will on October 8 for a week. We actually dont know any Brits in the area, so it would be good to meet some.
Cheers
Miguel
Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Hello Miguel,my husband and I would be happy to meet up when you are over..just get in touch closer to the time and we can organise meeting up.
Regards,
Linda

QUOTE=MigsAngel;12335402]Hi,
My wife and I own a house in Fontane Bianche, and are there as often as we can come over. We have a couple of local friends and one that has helped us work with a local builder to do renovations on our house. Our next trip will on October 8 for a week. We actually dont know any Brits in the area, so it would be good to meet some.
Cheers
Miguel[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 16th 2017, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Mrlargeit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil,

I am about to move from Reading to Motta, starting a new job on the 2nd of October and looking to get in touch with some expats once we arrive. Be good to catch up. My wife and two boys aged 6 and 7 are moving out too.

Excited but stressed about the move! So much to take in and still lots to organise, only found out two weeks ago that I got the job. Be good to catch up with people just arriving and those who have experience that might be able to give us pointers.

My wife has a blog if anyone is interested: The Larges Move to Sicily

She has also setup a facebook page if anyone is interested in joining, it will be easier to communicate with everyone that way. Sicily Facebook Page

Ciao for now

Dave
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MigsAngel
Hi,
Cheers
Miguel
Hi it would be great to meet up when you are over next we have been down to the beach bar in Fontane Bianche we could meet up for a drink and a chat there if that is ok with you Davids mother is over visiting us during this period also! we are doing a lot of work to our villa so would be great to get some advice as we are relying on our estate agent at the moment! Let me know when would be good to meet up, talk soon Neil.
Ps my email is [email protected] if it is easier to chat by email?
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nyclinda1
FB profile shows me living in Xaghra (village on Gozo)
Hi we have been here for 2 weeks now and been busy settling in and buying furniture etc it would be great to meet up some time, we shopped at Lidl in Avola it only took us about 15 mins to drive! My email is neilcushley@ hotmail.com if you want to arrange to meet up for a drink or dinner?
Neil.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MigsAngel
Hi,
Cheers
Miguel
Hi it would be great to meet up when you are over next we have been down to the beach bar in Fontane Bianche we could meet up for a drink and a chat there if that is ok with you Davids mother is over visiting us during this period also! we are doing a lot of work to our villa so would be great to get some advice as we are relying on our estate agent at the moment! Let me know when would be good to meet up, talk soon Neil.
Ps my email is [email protected] if it is easier to chat by email?
Old Sep 17th 2017, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Sent an email.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Faustosmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, a Newbie to the Forum, but I have been lurking ! (might have posted on the wrong thread.. sorry).

We hold British passports and own a home in the UK. We are looking to purchase an apartment/small house under 200sqm in Sicilly. This isn't going to be an immediate purchase but we are starting the research, preparation and planning now.

Our search started in Siracusa, but now we are thinking more of Avola, Noto and Modica. This would be a place to live for 7-8 months of the year on and off. We are active, scuba dive, walk, sail. We'd be happy to drive down or fly.

We are making our best efforts to learn the language and are not looking for a bit expat community but posted on this thread to start with.

Just for a bit of history, we had a little house built in Turkey 11 years ago in an isolated fishing village with no supermarket or cashpoint which we still own and love and spend 10 weeks of the year in. This has, however made us used to facing MANY challenges. Please don't misinterpret this as me being "bold" but we had to actually bribe officials to allow our house build to be legally completed, not many Turkish do this as they pay more tax.

Thoughts on locations and ideas ?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it all depends what you are looking for. Avola, NOto and Modica are very different despite being within 30 miles of each other. If you want a proper Sicilian town then Avola and Modica are your choices, Noto is pretty but is an open air museum, and you have to go elsewhere to do shopping. Modica doesnt depend solely on tourism and has a life of its own - and being higher doesnt have the humidity that the east coast can have. If you want to be on the sea then Pozzallo, Donnalucata, Sampieri or Marina di Ragusa all have year round populations like Avola, although much smaller. You wont find hte challenges that you faced in Sicily as long as you dont just decide to build a house where you want with no permissions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.