Reload this Page >

Expat community in Siracusa

Expat community in Siracusa

Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

rosbelford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat community in Siracusa

Hi Neil
I lived in Ortigia for six years, and still have a house there. I am now resident in England while my kids finish school, but go back to Ortigia every six weeks or so. It is a magical place, and has very much become my home. There isn't really a formal ex pat community, but there is a lovely informal international group of anglophone ex pats...prime meeting places are the wine bar Solaria on Via Roma, the swimming rocks and the little beach, Cala Rossa. Bar Viola on Via Roma, during the day, is a popular hangout and point of contact, as the internet is great and they don't mind how long you stay. Other lovely bars are Movimento Centrale on Piazza Mergulensi (where they run an Italian conversation group for foreigners on Thursday evenings) and Irma La Dolce next door.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

CalumJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NeilCushley
Hi all! We are moving to Siracusa area of Sicily at the end of August and would appreciate details of any UK Expat groups or community activities so that we can make friends when we get there and also to learn Italian language!
Ciao Neil.
Just over a year now since you moved. I hope things haven't been too stressful.
I have only just found this website, even though I've been living in Sicily for 10 years. I also live in the Cassibile area, on a farm.
Maybe we could meet up sometime.

Calum
Old Oct 16th 2018, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

rishuja21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, so glad I found this page! Me and my other half, Rob, love Italy in general and visited Sicily a month ago, and basically, fell in love with it. So much so, we are returning with a one way ticket (from London) in mid Nov and planning to buy a small bolthole in Noto or Ortigia! We are renting an apartment in Ortigia as we really liked the town! Would be so wonderful to meet you (any of you!) to share experiences and gain any advice if you are happy to share?! What we are looking to buy will require renovation! We are also hoping to learn Italian and do some cooking lessons too, as would be great to befriend locals too! But flat hunting is priority, our savings are on the line! Look forward to hearing from you! Ri (I'm a Ms). X

Originally Posted by NeilCushley
Hi Linda,
We have bought a Villa near Cassibile and Fontain Bianche which is not far from Avola! Our estate agent from Gabetti (Davide Lombarde) told us about a couple from Luton who had bought a place from him and had just moved over, is this you? He was going to put us in touch so that we could swap our experiences of relocating to Sicily. Would be great to meet up when we are finally over to live in Sicily from about 7th September we are driving down with our 2 dogs and taking our time and making a holiday of the relocation so no set in stone arrival date! It might be an idea if there is not one already set up to try and establish an Ex pat group in the area to swap information and experiences and learn Italian etc. what do you think? So stay in touch and talk soon.

Neil & David.
Hi Neil and David! Congrats on your purchase - hope all is going well! Would be lovely to meet you as me and my partner Rob are looking to buy a (tiny) apartment in Noto (can't afford much atm) and funnily enough, are meeting Davide Lombarde on 21st November for some viewings! I hope you had a great experience with his company? We will then be living in Ortigia, until when, we do not know... No doubt you are manic, but let us know if you ever have a free half hour, we could always drop by yours and bring a bottle!
Ri

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 17th 2018 at 3:15 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Buying in Sicily

Originally Posted by rishuja21
Hello everyone, so glad I found this page! Me and my other half, Rob, love Italy in general and visited Sicily a month ago, and basically, fell in love with it. So much so, we are returning with a one way ticket (from London) in mid Nov and planning to buy a small bolthole in Noto or Ortigia! We are renting an apartment in Ortigia as we really liked the town! Would be so wonderful to meet you (any of you!) to share experiences and gain any advice if you are happy to share?! What we are looking to buy will require renovation! We are also hoping to learn Italian and do some cooking lessons too, as would be great to befriend locals too! But flat hunting is priority, our savings are on the line! Look forward to hearing from you! Ri (I'm a Ms). X
Ciao R & R
I'd be happy to invite you both round when you return, or meet up somewhere. <snip>

Calum

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 17th 2018 at 3:16 pm. Reason: Email address removed to save you from spambots and weirdos - BE is public! If they wish people can contact you via forum
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

I just thought I'd give you a bit of advice; as you intend to be doing some renovation (even if you're not) purchase some tools in the UK before you arrive. What you find here is usually Chinese crap or the lower end models of decent brands, but at higher prices. Thought that it was rip off Britain ? Italy is much worse.
I have been living in Sicily for the last 10 years and usually buy all my equipment in the UK online, delivered to my parent's house. They put it into larger boxes and I organise the shipping via a courier. It works out cheaper. Find your own solution, you will need it.
I have a whole farm to renovate and keep running. Unfortunately, Italy (Sicily) is not service orientated, nor do they believe in providing decent tools at decent prices. They believe that if you're stupid enough to accept their prices then they will take your money, and that also goes when hiring someone to do the job.
I just wish I knew all this (and more) before moving.

Apart from that it does have its rewards.

calum
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

tleavitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Diving into this conversation. My wife Vicky and I are house sitting up above Cassibile (looking over the reserve up at 1,000 ft so 10 minutes from town). We're here for 4 months and would love to get together for a coffee/bite to eat with locals who might be interested. We're American and British (lived in London for 16 years) and spend part of each year house sitting around the world...Australia and Hawaii so far this year...now to Europe. Anyways, if someone is out there and local and would like to meet, let us know. Ted and Vicky
Old Dec 4th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Welcome to Sicily, Ted & Vicky.
It sounds like you have found a great way to see the world. As an ex travel photographer, I'm envious as hell.
Anyhow, if you feel like a coffee and some sweet snacks we could meet up in Bar Valentino, in Cassibile, one day. I can organise my time to suit your commitments.

Calum
Old Dec 4th 2018, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Calum - Super. We are 100% flexible...just wander about absorbing the atmosphere (+ doing admin related to paying the bills :-) ). Name the date and time, and we'll see you there. Ted
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tleavitt
Calum - Super. We are 100% flexible...just wander about absorbing the atmosphere (+ doing admin related to paying the bills :-) ). Name the date and time, and we'll see you there. Ted
How about this Friday (7th) about 10:30 am ?
I'm the one with short grey hair and beard, waving a big Union Jack. (Just kidding about the flag !) I'll be loitering around outside, unless you're there before me.

Calum
Old Dec 4th 2018, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Confirmed. See you there. It's my wife Vicky and me. Look forward to meeting you. Ted
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have fun. Does Cassibile get very snowy in Winter?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Haven't been here in winter...but given it is at sea level and on the same latitude as the top of North Africa, I am guessing not.