Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English speaking schools

English speaking schools

Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

coka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English speaking schools

Hi Does anyone have any experience of the European school in Varese, my husband starts his new job in May and my son and I will join him when schools out in the summer. My son will be starting secondary in Sept. If anyone has any experience regarding the british school in Milan I would be grateful to hear from you.
Thankyou in anticipation.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: English speaking schools

This European School concentrates on a second language, although it isn't a bilingual school. Children start learning their second language as soon as they start in the primary and your son will be behind in either French or German (whichever you choose). However, the school does offer support for this and you can always get him extra help.
Do you have any idea how long you will be here? The BAC syllabus doesn't exactly match the GCSE/A-Level route and at certain stages - especially going back into Year 11 as he won't have done any coursework - there can be problems and sometimes returnees have to go back a year.
As a community I am happy with the school , I have three children there and they are happy and learning well.
Do you know where you will be living? I have a friend who uses one of the Milan schools but she lives closer to Milan than I do.
If you want to know anything more specific then PM me (you need to make three posts first)
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for that, we are not sure where we will be living easy access to the European school if possible. I would like to know more and I will pm you when I have made more posts! Thanks again.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Any information on Varese would be great!!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Italy 4 Me is an unknown quantity at this point

International Schools

Hi Coka, my advice is the European Varese school it has a good name, but also consider the International school in Lugano. Many expats in Varese also send their children there. If everthing runs smoothly the journey is fine, but you are crossing a border with everything that entails.

If you'd like to follow British curriculum I know St Louis follow this, and probably also Sir James Henderson both in Milan. Otherwise the European schools follow the International Baccalaureate (IB) system.

I don't know where your husband is working but there are some huge companies in Varese eg Whirlpool which is full of expats and they can probably advise you as part of the relocation.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Rombon is an unknown quantity at this point

The two schools mentioned by Italy 4 me in Milan are UK Nat Curriculum schools however I would not recommend the latter one! PM me for further information.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by coka
Hi Does anyone have any experience of the European school in Varese, my husband starts his new job in May and my son and I will join him when schools out in the summer. My son will be starting secondary in Sept. If anyone has any experience regarding the british school in Milan I would be grateful to hear from you.
Thankyou in anticipation.
Have you visited? What did you think?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Italy 4 Me
International Schools

Hi Coka, my advice is the European Varese school it has a good name, but also consider the International school in Lugano. Many expats in Varese also send their children there. If everthing runs smoothly the journey is fine, but you are crossing a border with everything that entails.

If you'd like to follow British curriculum I know St Louis follow this, and probably also Sir James Henderson both in Milan. Otherwise the European schools follow the International Baccalaureate (IB) system.

I don't know where your husband is working but there are some huge companies in Varese eg Whirlpool which is full of expats and they can probably advise you as part of the relocation.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for that!