Reload this Page >

Moving to Bergamo :)

Moving to Bergamo :)

Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Location: Manchester UK, but moving to Bergamo end of June 2012
hannabis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Bergamo :)

I am a 21 year old student from Manchester currently finishing my final year of University. I am moving to Bergamo at the end of June 2012 as I have a 6-month internship over there (with the possibility of it turning full time). I have already put down a deposit down on an apartment, so I have that sorted. Although there are still a few things i'm not too sure on e.g. internet, phone contracts etc.

I was just wondering if there was many English people of around my age living in Bergamo? Maybe even students? As i'll be moving here alone.

Thanks,
Hannah
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Bergamo :)

Nice place to live. Should be plenty of people in Milan.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:19 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hannah,
I don't know Bergamo so can't comment on people your age etc but I offer a couple of things that might be helpful.

6 month contracts for the twenty somethings are very common in Italy but do not often lead to permanent employment, rather another short-term contract. The Technocrat government is trying to change the employment law to make it more attractive to companies to give permanent employment. One of the guys I run with who is an IT graduate in his 20s who is on his 7th 6 month contract after Uni. Not trying to put a damper on your exciting new job but forewarned is forearmed.

Mobile phone and Internet, be a bit wary of contracts too early after arriving in Italy as long term contract might be expensive and hard to get out of, therefore, I suggest you think about pay as you go until you are 100% sure you will be in Bergamo long term, both for phone and internet dongle unless you rent somewhere with internet already in place.

once again welcome
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:19 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Mobile phone 20 euro with credit of 10 euro.. tim
vodafone dongle usb connection 3 months.. 99 euro

These are what i have and do very well.. skype calls are no problem with usb connection

300mb limit, then reduced speed..

no contracts, no worries
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

homeandgardens will become famous soon enough

Bergamo is a lovely place to live. You'll find a beautiful old city on a hill, mountains, lakes, plains and Milan and Como are not so far. People can be a little stubborn here but they'll make you feel a bit at home because of their celtic spirit... but actually they are more germans like and they talk a completely different dialect.