Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English light switches in Italy?

Wikiposts

English light switches in Italy?

Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English light switches in Italy?

Originally Posted by Domino
thats a good point, even here in Spain they seem to be lower than the Uk, hence all the greasy marks where my hand has reached for the switch and then had to grope upwards.

`
The first day or two when I'm back in the UK I tend to fumble in the dark for the light switch because it's much higher up (except the bathroom one which is on a dangly light pull) ..... and I have to get up when I hear "Mummy I can't reach the light" or "Mummy can you turn the light on for me please."
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:44 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnaub
Oh dear! I hope I have not started an argument about the superiority of one country's design abilities over another's.

I think that, as tastes differ, we all find something somewhere we like.
That's why we like the - shall we call it 'English style' switches. I will therefore go and get some, take them over to Italy and show the electrician the CE and EN compliance. I'm sure it will be fine - that's what Europe is for isn't it (oh don't get me started on that subject)

Thanks everybody for your input.
I shall report back after my next site meeting!
No problem. I wasn't recommending any type of switch, but only saying that you can find smaller switches though they tend to be 'trendy' ones and at a price. For me it is a personal choice. However, they are not 'funny sizes' because they all fit the same back box.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 5:14 am
Just Joined

magnaub is an unknown quantity at this point

yep - thought of that! I specified all the heights!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

You can get this one from the Vatican and most good "religious object" stores

Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:48 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
You can get this one from the Vatican and most good "religious object" stores

http://media.boreme.com/post_media/2...ght-switch.jpg
That's simply bloody awful !
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That's simply bloody awful !
Slightly (slightly) better version:

Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Slightly (slightly) better version:

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media...nSideAngle.gif
Good grief !
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good grief !
There's worse more secular designs of course, but the above were actually thought up, designed, made and sold by religiously-minded people... either they are so naive they didn't think of what they were doing, or they have a very weird sense of humour!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

The first day or two when I'm back in the UK I tend to fumble in the dark for the light switch because it's much higher up (except the bathroom one which is on a dangly light pull) ..... and I have to get up when I hear "Mummy I can't reach the light" or "Mummy can you turn the light on for me please."
The lastest regulations in the uk are for all new builds the switches are 1.2 m to the top of the switch. This does not apply to rewires or for some strange reason to kitchens and garages. The electricians on site guide also recommends switches be installed at 1.2 m and sockets 450mm from the floor.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute

Be very careful when sourcing dimmers in the UK for use in Italy, as some dimmers sold in the UK are only for use with the UK 'two-wire' system whereas Italy uses a 'three-wire' or 'four-wire' system. (Excuses for my lack of technical detail as I'm not a 'sparky'.)

This is also true for the recent crop of 'light switch sized' 'Passive Infrared' (PIR) movement sensors.

Anyway, most light switches available in the UK are 'Made in China' whereas most of those available in Italy are indeed 'Made in Italy'...

... I was about to drift 'Off Topic' there – but I won't!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinco Pallino
Be very careful when sourcing dimmers in the UK for use in Italy, as some dimmers sold in the UK are only for use with the UK 'two-wire' system whereas Italy uses a 'three-wire' or 'four-wire' system. (Excuses for my lack of technical detail as I'm not a 'sparky'.)

This is also true for the recent crop of 'light switch sized' 'Passive Infrared' (PIR) movement sensors.

Anyway, most light switches available in the UK are 'Made in China' whereas most of those available in Italy are indeed 'Made in Italy'...

... I was about to drift 'Off Topic' there – but I won't!
this is a valid point,
most dimmers are only suitable for use with incandescent lamps i.e. the what is now "old" style.
they are not suitable for use with fluorescent, which many/most of the new long life lamps are.

I remember seeing a Made in England label with tiny letters at the bottom saying Made in China.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
most dimmers are only suitable for use with incandescent lamps i.e. the what is now "old" style.
they are not suitable for use with fluorescent, which many/most of the new long life lamps are.
A number of the very latest dimmers on the market are specifically designed to dim 'dimmable' LED's (as well as halogen and incandescent lamps) – and Domino is correct to point out that dimming 'energy saving' lamps can be problematic.

However, as previously mentioned, I would be very careful to ensure that any dimmers sourced in the UK are compatible with the Italian 'three-wire' or 'four-wire' systems.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Nowdays it very difficult to make a difference between Made in China and made in Italy as most of the raw materials come from China, while the product made from them is labeled made in Italy.
Personally I do not like metal switches for safety reasons and having the Italian plastic switches/plugs gives you the opportunity to match the colour of the switch surround to your decor.
Last year a got a few flood lights i the UK with a PIR sensor. I changed one of them 3 times as the PIR stopped working every time there was a storm, so I presume the tension burned it out. I do not know if it would have been any different had the light been made in Italy ( instead of China, from B&Q).
Sorry to digress.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Isakat
Nowdays it very difficult to make a difference between Made in China and made in Italy as most of the raw materials come from China, while the product made from them is labeled made in Italy.
Oh dear, I really didn't intend to go 'Off Topic' like this, but whereas there is no doubt some truth in Isakat's comment, it really is not the case that " ... most of the raw materials come from China ...". At best this is an over-genrealization (and an inaccurate one at that – as apart from some 'rare earth minerals', China doesn't have a vast amount of natural resources; hence its heavy investment in the mines of Africa, South America and Australia); and I feel sad at the thought of the dismissing Italian manufacturing so wantonly. In many sectors we have world class manufacturing facilities and can make excellent products of the very highest quality. A product cannot be marked 'Made in Italy' (or, as is becoming more common nowadays, 'Product of Italy') unless certain specific (and often long and complicated) criteria are met; (for example, the percentage of the manufacturing costs incurred in Italy).

(Sincerest apologies Isakat: I realize that you didn't intend to 'diss' the entire Italian manufacturing sector: We can be sooo good at things sometimes; and ought to be very proud – but I guess that it's inevitable that market forces and the 'crisi economica' will lead many consumers to buy whatever's cheap, often without considering the wider implications of buying goods manufactured in low labour cost countries.)

I'd better get off my high horse now – it's way past wine o' clock!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:21 am
Just Joined

magnaub is an unknown quantity at this point

uh - I do like the Jesus one - I'm sure it glows in the dark too!
I'll keep my eye open for this one!

Thanks for all the great input everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.