Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English light switches in Italy?

Wikiposts

English light switches in Italy?

Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:29 am
Just Joined

magnaub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English light switches in Italy?

Hello,

We are new to this forum and I already have a question.

We are in the process of building a new house in Abruzzo and our builder and all other tradesmen have been great. However, we are now about to select light switches and all the available European lines look too big and clumsy ('fist-operated' springs to mind! - sorry). We would like to use English stainless steel flat-plate switches and dimmers which are contemporary and elegant. Unfortunately our electrician is unsure if they comply with Italian regulations and I can't find any descent info on the net.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where I can look for more info?

Many thanks
Magnaub
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:24 am
Just Joined

squires80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English light switches in Italy?

they should be ok, as long as they conform to bs EN 60669-1.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnaub
Hello,

We are new to this forum and I already have a question.

We are in the process of building a new house in Abruzzo and our builder and all other tradesmen have been great. However, we are now about to select light switches and all the available European lines look too big and clumsy ('fist-operated' springs to mind! - sorry). We would like to use English stainless steel flat-plate switches and dimmers which are contemporary and elegant. Unfortunately our electrician is unsure if they comply with Italian regulations and I can't find any descent info on the net.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where I can look for more info?

Many thanks
Magnaub
welcome we have lived in abruzzo for 10 years where are you . yes
english light fitings aRe much superia to italian the italian ones are rubishif you need any more imfo iam here
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Scozzese is on a distinguished road

Goodness, has your electrician been living under a rock? Of course they are fine as long as they confrom to CE standards... My MIL has them at home.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

We are in Palombaro, a small village near Casoli, Chieti

Yes I was thinking that everything nowadays should conform to European and CE standards. Maybe he wants to make money from selling us his 'preferred' range rather than us buying it all here in the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

few of things to bear in mind you will need uk type back boxes fitting and if you are fitting dimmer switches you need deepish ones 25mm +it would be best to fit deeper ones anyway to allow for the conduit. Also ensure an earth wire is brought to the switch as metal switches require an earth.From the uk MK or crabtree are the best makes. In italy Legrand in this area seem the premium brand.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - that's very helpful. I thought about the back boxes but of course assumed the earth wire would be fitted as standard - I will mention it in my next site meeting!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Palombaro, a small village near Casoli, Chieti

Yes I was thinking that everything nowadays should conform to European and CE standards. Maybe he wants to make money from selling us his 'preferred' range rather than us buying it all here in the UK.
hi we are nealy neighbers about 25 mins away what you will learn about the tradesmen in abruzzo they lke to do things there way and a reluctant to change and all english are stupid and rich mind there are some forward thinking tradesmen but not many
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

think you will find that many EN/CE products from the UK are superior in manufacture to those you may find in other European states.

also the EN/CE standards have been written around UK guidelines, they even take British Standards and rewrite them

just look around at any new builds in the area, you will see some really appalling work carried out, with switches that will only last a couple of years.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:42 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
think you will find that many EN/CE products from the UK are superior in manufacture to those you may find in other European states.

also the EN/CE standards have been written around UK guidelines, they even take British Standards and rewrite them

just look around at any new builds in the area, you will see some really appalling work carried out, with switches that will only last a couple of years.
I find the cutting edge end of the market to be far superior. There is a by far, a larger choice than the UK. And you can find smaller ones too. However, not from your average DIY chain. Now price............this is IMO an issue here.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
I find the cutting edge end of the market to be far superior. There is a by far, a larger choice than the UK. And you can find smaller ones too. However, not from your average DIY chain. Now price............this is IMO an issue here.
cutting edge ??
I suppose some of the Italian designs could be deemed such, but since someone somewhere who forgot to take out a patent designed the very first light switch the principle hasn't changed. The outer packaging has changed, but then having had to replace all sorts of things from taps to light fittings to switches to find that they are no longer available, a "funny" size, leading to replacement by more generic products.
Cutting edge - an architect's statement to cover the fact he was able to source a job lot no one wanted.

I have always found the standard generic products that are to set standards replaceable year on year.
But no one has ever really changed the switch action
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Oh dear! I hope I have not started an argument about the superiority of one country's design abilities over another's.

I think that, as tastes differ, we all find something somewhere we like.
That's why we like the - shall we call it 'English style' switches. I will therefore go and get some, take them over to Italy and show the electrician the CE and EN compliance. I'm sure it will be fine - that's what Europe is for isn't it (oh don't get me started on that subject)

Thanks everybody for your input.
I shall report back after my next site meeting!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:06 am

Oh dear! I hope I have not started an argument about the superiority of one country's design abilities over another's.

That's why we like the - shall we call it 'English style' switches. I will therefore go and get some, take them over to Italy and show the electrician the CE and EN compliance. I'm sure it will be fine - that's what Europe is for isn't it (oh don't get me started on that subject)

buy them and free issue to your electrician, remembering the back boxes.
get them from Screwfix on line

`
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:06 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to put your English light switches at Italian level on the wall or higher up the wall English placement - lol ?

My son can reach all our switches here, but not at Granddad's house in the UK.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Are you going to put your English light switches at Italian level on the wall or higher up the wall English placement - lol ?

My son can reach all our switches here, but not at Granddad's house in the UK.
thats a good point, even here in Spain they seem to be lower than the Uk, hence all the greasy marks where my hand has reached for the switch and then had to grope upwards.

`

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.