Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English or Italian Dentist.

English or Italian Dentist.

Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about
Default English or Italian Dentist.

I think i'm going to need some dental work done in the next few months and i'm not too sure whether i should do it here in Italy or the UK. The journey side isnt a problem as i usually head back to the UK every few months. I dont know what the general standard is like here compared to the UK. Any recommendations apart from DIY?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English or Italian Dentist.

Originally Posted by JohnD63
I think i'm going to need some dental work done in the next few months and i'm not too sure whether i should do it here in Italy or the UK. The journey side isnt a problem as i usually head back to the UK every few months. I dont know what the general standard is like here compared to the UK. Any recommendations apart from DIY?
Find a decent dentist and I'd say the standards were the same - have not been to a dentist in the UK for a long time though. If you want a dentist here it pays to ask everybody you know who they go to. Not all dentists have the same reputation.

It's the prices that most of us don't like here.

Take a look at this thread. There is a link in the first post that shows an Italian dentist association price list.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632566
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:35 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I would say if you were going to the UK to get the work done on the NHS then I'd recommend getting it done here in Italy. If you have a good private dentist in the UK then fair enough.

For example, having your teeth cleaned on the NHS, it's a quick scrape and clean lasting 5 mins whereas here they do a decent job lasting about 20-30 mins (says the OH).

Depends what you're having done. I had a tooth break in half, so I called up the dentist to fix an appointment the next day. He had a look at it, and 45 mins and €100 later my tooth was reconstructed. He told me that the tooth had micro-fractures, which probably were giving me some pain or increased sensitivity (and he was correct) so why didn't I do anything about it? Well I didn't tell him that I had gone to see 2 dentists on the NHS who both X-rayed my teeth and found nothing wrong - they both told me to use Sensodyne toothpaste to relieve the pain!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the advise
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
I would say if you were going to the UK to get the work done on the NHS then I'd recommend getting it done here in Italy. If you have a good private dentist in the UK then fair enough.

For example, having your teeth cleaned on the NHS, it's a quick scrape and clean lasting 5 mins whereas here they do a decent job lasting about 20-30 mins (says the OH).

Depends what you're having done. I had a tooth break in half, so I called up the dentist to fix an appointment the next day. He had a look at it, and 45 mins and €100 later my tooth was reconstructed. He told me that the tooth had micro-fractures, which probably were giving me some pain or increased sensitivity (and he was correct) so why didn't I do anything about it? Well I didn't tell him that I had gone to see 2 dentists on the NHS who both X-rayed my teeth and found nothing wrong - they both told me to use Sensodyne toothpaste to relieve the pain!
I find the dentists in abruzzo to be super efficent and cheap whith verry modern eqoipment far ahead of the english dentists