Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

English Books in Italy A Rant!!

English Books in Italy A Rant!!

Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really nice
Default Re: English Books in Italy A Rant!!

I love my Kindle.

It is great, easier to hold than a book, screen doesn't glare and it's great for downloading books in a jiffy! I even downloaded one waiting in the LONG easyjet QUEUE at gatwick airport!

Amazon UK assured me that the WIFI version (110 quid) would work here in Italy, although in the end I opted for the 3G version to be sure (150 quid). It is just the best toy in a long while.

I suggest if you want one for xmas to order it now as they tend to go out of stock at this time of year!

IF you travel around you can also link up to either Amazon USA or UK, whichever billing route (Sterling or USD) is better for you. I ordered from the UK, picked it up on my last visit home! Voila!

Off to buy a new book now... loads of books are also FREEEEEEEEEE
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Pecora - I use Play.com now. Once I sorted out the initial payment difficulty I had (if you have an english credit or debit card its easier) then its brill. Used books - free delivery to Italy - and they've all arrived within about a week I am the happiest bunny in Italy now ! Just starting my latest Val McDermid (Wire in the Blood - which I didnt see on the TV when it was on)
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough

Pecora happy to do a swap or just send on a couple of books to tide you over send me a PM if you like with what you will or won't read, the last 5 books you have read and I'll let you know what I have. saluti
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:54 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Pecora - I use Play.com now. Once I sorted out the initial payment difficulty I had (if you have an english credit or debit card its easier) then its brill. Used books - free delivery to Italy - and they've all arrived within about a week I am the happiest bunny in Italy now ! Just starting my latest Val McDermid (Wire in the Blood - which I didnt see on the TV when it was on)
The exchange rates aren't that good on Play.com - it's much cheaper in UKP, e.g. Take That's new album is £8.95 or €10,55 at today's rate. If you choose prices in Euro, then it converts it to €12,45. A massive 18% markup. So even if your credit card company charges you a conversion fee, it would only be around 2%, so it's much cheaper to pay in £s.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really nice

Originally Posted by duffer
The exchange rates aren't that good on Play.com - it's much cheaper in UKP, e.g. Take That's new album is £8.95 or €10,55 at today's rate. If you choose prices in Euro, then it converts it to €12,45. A massive 18% markup. So even if your credit card company charges you a conversion fee, it would only be around 2%, so it's much cheaper to pay in £s.
I found the same. Much better to buy things in Sterling. Play.com must have some italians working there on the exchange rates... 'furbizia italiana!' ...