Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Ecobonus and solar panels

Ecobonus and solar panels

Old Apr 12th 2022, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ecobonus and solar panels

We're thinking of installing solar panels. (I guess like very many other people right now!) I'm sure that I've read that it's possible to take advantage of Government subsidies under the Ecobonus scheme, even if not fiscally resident in Italy, by in effect giving the subsidy to the installing firm in exchange for a discount on the cost of installation. But when I raised this with a local installer he was adamant that the subsidy was available only to Italian taxpayers. He did say, though, that it would be possible to reclaim 50% of IMU due on the house over a ten year period i.e reducing the IMU bill by 5% a year. This was something that I'd never seen mentioned before. I'm now quite unclear about what the true position is; and if anyone has any advice or can point me towards a source of reliable information I'd be most grateful
Old Apr 12th 2022, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ecobonus and solar panels

Ive never heard of the IMU bonus. Do you mean photovoltaics or solar panels (for hot water)?
You can get 'sconto in fattura' as a non resident, and technically you could get the 110% ecobonus as a non resident if you meet all the other requirements, which are many.
Old Apr 12th 2022, 3:40 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

For solar panels, there is a 50% rebate up to the amount of IRPEF you pay, over 10yrs. As a non-resident, you don't pay IRPEF so no rebate. In my experience, installers only have a vague idea of how it works.
The 110% rebate is available to non-residents, but OMG, it's a mine field. Solar panels alone will probably not qualify you for a rebate.
Old Apr 14th 2022, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

I believe you need to do initial work on the house to allow you to lever in the solar panel work ie install/improve insulation and heating systems to give a two point lift in the energy rating. Following that, you can then go for solar panels. From all I've read, you do not need to be resident and you can pass the discount to the contractors so there should be no outlay. The biggest problem would be finding a geometra and time is running out as the current deadline for having the majority of work done is June. The government's superbonus website is very informative:

Superbonus 110% | www.governo.it

Old Apr 15th 2022, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Solar panels will never give you the 2 classes you need on their own, not even combined with a new boiler. However you can get 50% sconto in fattura either through your contractor, or going shopping - now hot water panels will cost your less than 600 euros for a 300 litre tank and panel. For photovoltaics its a bit more complicated because it depends if your going to sell your excess to ENEL in which case you need GES to be involved, and that means lots of annoyance. HOwever, the same is true for the sconto in fattura - at the moment there are companies offering 3kw system installed for less than 3 grand, (using the 50% incentive). Obviously if you want batteries and go offgrid this will go up by around 15.000.