Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Earthquake in Abruzzo

Earthquake in Abruzzo

Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:58 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake in Abruzzo

Been splashed all over the news in the UK - such devastation - looks like the emergency services have done an amazing job - for those of you in the affected area - stay safexx
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:39 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

This is our 3rd night with the fear of another after-shock! We are near, & the quake was horrendous. We are still in shock. I mean you dont expect the floor to move.Our first & I hope our last earthquake experience.
Ern
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:19 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ernesto
This is our 3rd night with the fear of another after-shock! We are near, & the quake was horrendous. We are still in shock. I mean you dont expect the floor to move.Our first & I hope our last earthquake experience.
Ern
How close are you?

It must be very scary. Stay safe.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Its so very sad - our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ernesto
Ern
I also do hope this will be the last earthquake experience for you and everyone else .

Living in New Zealand we have experienced a few small shakes now and it isn't fun. It is frightening. The earth just moves underneath you , along with your house and everything else.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:58 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

And then you get Berlu on the news saying Italy can cope without help as it is such a rich country! Give me strength....
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Lorna - as moderator do you know if anyone on the forum lives in that area?

Good old Silvio also said that he would accept foreign help to restore the historic buildings. What about the people that have nowhere to live?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:53 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

You can guarantee that's because there will money available that he doesn't have to pay back out there for historic properties!! As I say, unbelievable!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:16 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
Lorna - as moderator do you know if anyone on the forum lives in that area?

Good old Silvio also said that he would accept foreign help to restore the historic buildings. What about the people that have nowhere to live?
No I don't.

The info I have is the same as what you all see under "location" if people put it up there when they sign up.

I checked the "info on Abruzzo" thread to see who had been writing on it.
There is Sheilamarsco and Asik.
Ernesto too but he has since been on the forum in this thread.
Hope they are okay.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:20 pm

Just checked something ..........

Last activity on forum for Sheilamarsco was this morning and Asik checked in yesterday so they must be okay.

Not sure if we have any other members that might be in that area.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:35 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

We are about 35/40kms from L'aquila, this close enough for us to get hits of 6.3 on Monday, 4.8 last night which although not as long felt stronger and had us running out of our homes to stand feeling bewildered in the garden. We are not saying we are in any great danger, like the poor folk in L'aquila. We are just saying it is a frighteneing experience, one to be missed
Ernie
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:48 pm

I haven't watched much news today.
The pictures are quite awful and I don't want to see any more of them.

I've taken some stuff to a collection here today and hope it gets to the people that need it.

Unfortunately I've been here a long time and I'm afraid I've become a right sceptic about charity getting to the right places.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

barb14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best wishes to anyone and everyone hurt !

Barb
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

asik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just checked something ..........

Last activity on forum for Sheilamarsco was this morning and Asik checked in yesterday so they must be okay.

Not sure if we have any other members that might be in that area.

I am in Ireland at the moment but will be in Abruzzo next week. My village hasn't been affected anyway. I am thinking of offering my house temporarily to one-two families who have lost their homes in the quake. Not sure if it would work as my village is 45mins from L'Aquila and not sure whom I could talk to about this idea.

Any suggestions how to go about it?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by asik
I am in Ireland at the moment but will be in Abruzzo next week. My village hasn't been affected anyway. I am thinking of offering my house temporarily to one-two families who have lost their homes in the quake. Not sure if it would work as my village is 45mins from L'Aquila and not sure whom I could talk to about this idea.

Any suggestions how to go about it?
Glad to hear you weren't there.

As for your generous offer ... you might find out that there is a scheme in place or something once you get back there.

I suppose you could always ask at the Comune if anything has been set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.