Reload this Page >

Driving UK license plate car without Italian registration

Driving UK license plate car without Italian registration

Old Nov 13th 2023, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Popovs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving UK license plate car without Italian registration

Hi All,
According to Italian law a UK car can be driven in Italy without local registration for 6 months. If the car is then taken out of Italy (e.g. to be MOTd/Taxed back in the UK), can it be driven back to Italy and the 6 months count re-started, i.e. what is the minimum duration the car has to be out of Italy for the 6 months term be re-newed?
Many thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2023, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving UK license plate car without Italian registration

You can only use the car for 3months as a non resident. You have to register it with il Reve. The register of foreign vehicles. Registration costs €43. You have to register the car after 30days in Italy.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 13th 2023 at 12:02 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2023, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a full time resident in Italy you must register your car within 30 days with the Italian authorities.As a long term ex pat(or immigrant if you prefer) I have seen various wheezes to get out of re registration over the years and without fail they all end in tears sooner or later.Your biggest problem is insurance and I have seen plenty of people try to game the insurance companies and it is never the insurance companies who lose in these situations -I have seen people lose their life savings and be forced to sell up to pay for damages after an accident.

I do not think that Il Reve applies in this case and that a full re registration process must be gone through and an Italian registration plate etc must be obtained if the OP is full time resident.
If they are here temporarily eg a short term work contract or looking after a sick relative then REVE applies but if a Brit you only have 90 days in 180 anyway
Old Nov 13th 2023, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
If you are a full time resident in Italy you must register your car within 30 days with the Italian authorities.As a long term ex pat(or immigrant if you prefer) I have seen various wheezes to get out of re registration over the years and without fail they all end in tears sooner or later.Your biggest problem is insurance and I have seen plenty of people try to game the insurance companies and it is never the insurance companies who lose in these situations -I have seen people lose their life savings and be forced to sell up to pay for damages after an accident.

I do not think that Il Reve applies in this case and that a full re registration process must be gone through and an Italian registration plate etc must be obtained if the OP is full time resident.
If they are here temporarily eg a short term work contract or looking after a sick relative then REVE applies but if a Brit you only have 90 days in 180 anyway
You are right. I think the Reve applies to people resident in Italy using a car that is registered abroad and not owned by them.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 13th 2023 at 3:34 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2023, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above responses, but I think it would be better to start by asking the OP to clarify their situation: so Popovs what is your situation? Are you a British citizen? If not what country are you from? Where are you resident? Are you talking about just leaving the car in Italy/how long will you be here?
Old Nov 14th 2023, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

And does "resident" in this context mean a) full-time resident b) resident for at least 6 months a year i.e. fiscal resident c) anyone inscribed in the local anagrafe?
Old Nov 14th 2023, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
And does "resident" in this context mean a) full-time resident b) resident for at least 6 months a year i.e. fiscal resident c) anyone inscribed in the local anagrafe?
A resident is someone registered at the Anagrafe. In that case you have to get Italian plates for your car after 12weeks. As C2.s points out popovs situation is unclear.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 14th 2023 at 3:50 pm.