Reload this Page >

Driving U.K registered car to Italy

Driving U.K registered car to Italy

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:32 am
Just Joined

John Ath is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Driving U.K registered car to Italy

Hi, New to the forum:

I usually take the cheap airline option to reach Abruzzo, however I really fancy a change and opting to drive through Holland, Germany, Switzerland and into Italy. No rush so 3-4 days should do it. I have a RHD 4X4 vehicle, British plates and legally road worthy. Purchased some safety items, vis jacket, bulbs, warning triangle etc. i carry all legal documentation but Could any one advise me further on what else I would need and be aware of through out my journey. In the past I have always hired an Italian car from the airport. I am a little wary of what to expect and how the Feds may treat me on the autostrada ?

Replies welcome, thanks...
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:14 pm
superman2

superman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nice
Default Re: Driving U.K registered car to Italy

Hello I do this run twice a month in a Uk plated van, Abruzzo to the Uk and back and never had a problem with the feds in any country, more helpful than hostile I find. I go belgium and Luxemburge as it is the cheapest fuel in the EU. you need the swiss road tax which you can buy at the border but you seam all set up to go.
Have a good journey
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

John Ath is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the heads up (Luxemburge) re-fuel.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

If its right hand drive the tolls can be a pain unless youve a passenger but you can still get through.

One tip, i bought a swiss toll sticker off ebay last time i went through for £1.50 so that saved me £35ish. (dont think they are very common though)
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:28 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip

Putting a fake sticker on your car is going to get you into deep shi5 if you get caught

Just drive through no sticker.. works for me...
Old Apr 1st 2012, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

I never said it was a fake sticker. It was genuine. The tax had already been paid when it was purchased - just never used.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:05 am
superman2

superman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nicesuperman2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Another tip

Putting a fake sticker on your car is going to get you into deep shi5 if you get caught

Just drive through no sticker.. works for me...
With no sticker you will get 200 swiss franc fine if spotted usually leaving the country, It is on the spot, plus they also don't take euros, so if you don't have 200 swiss in cash you are marched off to a cash machine after being held you for an hour or so
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Do not mess about with the Swiss. Once went through the checkpoint at Basel St. Louis at night. Nobody about to buy a vignette from, so carried on. Stopped on the approach to the Gothard tunnel and fined on the spot 400 SF.
On another occasion, going the other way, had bought the vignette at Como/Chiasso control; but hadn't stopped to actually stick it on the windscreen. Stopped again near Melide - just gently warned to stick it on that time.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:53 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Woops

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Apr 1st 2012 at 8:55 am. Reason: coffee not working, not me obviously
Old Apr 1st 2012, 8:57 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Point is................both illegal.

Last edited by 37100; Apr 1st 2012 at 8:58 am. Reason: 6months removed comment.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ononno
Do not mess about with the Swiss. Once went through the checkpoint at Basel St. Louis at night. Nobody about to buy a vignette from, so carried on. Stopped on the approach to the Gothard tunnel and fined on the spot 400 SF.
On another occasion, going the other way, had bought the vignette at Como/Chiasso control; but hadn't stopped to actually stick it on the windscreen. Stopped again near Melide - just gently warned to stick it on that time.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Love the fact that while you approaching the Gothard Tunnel, so in the more German part of Switzerland you were fined, but near Melide, which is decidedly Italian you were only warned!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Point is................both illegal.
I was going to stick it on next time I stopped for coffee and a fag - 'onest.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:04 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
I was going to stick it on next time I stopped for coffee and a fag - 'onest.
Wasn't refering to your post Onnono, but 6months'. He deleted it.