Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:20 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Ok Mr. Duffer
As our resident techie. I want to buy a i pad or similar. I will use it hopefully to edit word and excel docs, e mail and the web maybe also for reading books.

I don't really need an all singing and dancing machine just something that is light for when I trip to and from the UK

Any suggestions???

Pete the technophobe
You can't go wrong with an iPad as it's a pleasure to use. Simples too. I've got the iPad 1. But it is very expensive for what you get. You might want to check out the Amazon Kindle Fire announcement later today - it will also be using Android operating system as seen on the Samsung but it's very likely to be much cheaper. The specs are not available yet but that could be the one to get this year. If you already have an Apple environment at home like I do then you'd be more likely to get the iPad otherwise if you're a Windows man, in a few months they will launch their own tablet with Windows 8 operating system, which might be great for the work environment.

No point in looking at the HP (discontinued after 2 months) or the Blackberry (disappointing sales and very likely to be scrapped).

So many others due to be launched in the next 6 months though but like I mentioned, the ones to look out for are the Kindle Fire, iPad 2 and 3 shortly and the upgrade of the Samsung tab.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I have a laptop running on windows. So thanks for the advice i will have a look at the new kindle and the samsung
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:29 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

You can still use the iPad on Windows without problems. The Appstore is so much better than the Android store not only for quantity of apps but also the varied quality. It's also more secure, i.e. less rogue apps, if you're concerned about security.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point

3 UK used to offer the free roaming deal but cut it off about 3 years ago. Very interesting to see the deal is still applied by 3 italia. I have heard that 3 in Italy arent that good, inconsistent billing etc.... but I really cant see this happening.

Have had great service from 3 UK for years, other than the cutting of the free roaming but then they did give me a tenner a month for the life of the contract after that.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Robertoegg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, firstly, thank you to Duffer for the information already given. A real help.

I want to ask if you could comment after seeing my own personal situation. My partner and I will be living in the Dolomites for 5 months from 1st Dec. We will be wanting to use the internet a fair amount I should imagine, certainly, touching in for emails every other day or so. Also skype home to friends and I would probably go for the odd download as I am a bit of a music fanatic. So the information on the Italian 3 payg dongle is fantastic.

What I wanted to ask is if we could look at a dongle and sim so that we can call/text and use internet. Is there a bundle for this type of activity or are we better off getting a dongle and then separately getting an Italian SIM? the local Sim would not be used much, simply for texting/calling local friends.

Your thoughts (or those from others) very much appreciated.

Regards,
Rob
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:42 pm
Pull my finger

Hello Rob,

Good question. The Superinternet option @ 5 Euro per month for 3GB is a bolt-on that you add to your base tariff. You could use the 3 sim in your mobile and swap it between your iPad or tablet (it's a micro-sim so perhaps you need an adaptor for your mobile).

Alternatively you could use your smartphone to tether to your laptop or tablet for the internet, i.e. create a hotspot on your phone and connect to this from your laptop or ipad. Another option is to just use the internet for calls and texts but you are reliant on a 3G signal from 3 otherwise it's costly.

The Superinternet option is easily the cheapest tarif around but 3 stipulate that it's not valid using it as a modem but it shouldn't be a problem if you use it like mentioned above.

Obviously a problem would be if the coverage is not so good where you'll be.

If you need a dongle deal, then choose something like a Webpocket from 3, it costs €14 per month for 12 months for 500mb per day with time limit. The Webpocket allows you to connect upto 5 devices, i.e. phone, laptop, TV, etc. You can also easily use it in the UK as well at no extra cost.

There is also a 60 hour per month deal costing just €9.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Robertoegg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Duffer,

I've got a feeling that 3GB/month might not be enough, however, I don't want to be trapped into a 12month contract due to our visit only being 5 months.

I'm having trouble interpreting the Italian offers on 3, even with the translate; Are there payg dongle deals (sounds funny )?

Regards,
rob