Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:12 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

Ok

I came on here maybe 2 hours ago to post a quick question!

I am going back from Sicily to Edinburgh on Wednesday (Bad times)
But returning in March (Good Times)

But I need to be online at (All Times)

I am going to buy a laptop when back in Mighty Scotland and need the internet, now I would prefer to buy a single Dongle that I can use in the UK and also here, does such a dongle exist?

OR

Do I simply buy a Pay as you go over there and then another here when I return

thank goodness I posted

So if you hop from country to country, can you use 1 dongle without getting screwed on price or is double dongling better

thanks
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DONGLE (SNIGGER) I have questions

We have a dongle we bought from TIM last year. It was a special deal then with 12 months internet access on it - can't remember what it cost though, sorry. I am taking it back to the UK on Thursday, to use with my UK 3 SIMM. Haven't actually used it yet, but tried it out here last week, and it informed me I was connecting to a roaming service via Wind, and I should check my providers roaming charges. This would seem to indicate to me that it is not locked to TIM. I think I am right in thinking that it is illegal here for the networks to lock a device to their network.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:31 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I used to buy dongles for the UK via Quidco, with the cashback, it worked out I was getting the dongle for free and just paying for the usage, which for 2 weeks when we were in the UK for holiday it was cheap. So you can have 2 dongles (1 for UK and 1 for Italy) otherwise the data charges will be too expensive.

Alternatively, you can just take the simcard out of the dongle and replace with an Italian simcard when you return. You just need to buy a simcard on the network of your choice and setup a data plan.

If in Scotland, you have coverage of 3 UK, I suggest you buy a 3 Italia simcard or dongle here because the tariffs are much cheaper than the UK and you can use the same allowance in any country covered by 3 worldwide - you don't get that with 3 UK. For example, for my Ipad, I pay 5 Euro per month for 3GB of data, I can also use that allowance in the UK at no extra charge. It worked a treat when I was over for Xmas. Whereas 3 UK have 1GB for £7.50 and no option to use that allowance in Italy.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

With my 3UK I get 150 MB free data useage every time I top up, valid for 90 days. The top up itself doesn't expire, so I just top it up before I go to the UK. At the moment I have 150 MB still valid for 50 days, plus 150 MB queued. I also get 600 free texts every time I top up, on the same basis as the data.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:39 pm
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Ok

I have little time left before I dive back to the harsh Scottish weather for a few weeks.

I doubt I am going to be able to set up a contract as I do not have an address yet for my return! I have asked a friend not find out about a couple of apartments for me.

Should I just BUY a 3DONGLE AND SIM here not on a contract? is this possible?

I am in a small village right now so wondering, if I can JUST buy the dongle and sim now and take back to the uk and use on a pay as you go basis

I would ideally like to be able to take the correct Italian dongle back with me and use it from day 1 back in the uk.

So, Can I just buy one of the 3 dongles with an italian Sim in it and use?
Also, I need the PC a lot, 50 hours per week so will it cost a lot?

thanks

I am hoping I might get told, just buy X Dongle, it works in the uk too, pick it for x euros and you top up once a month, that would work!

thanks
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:51 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

You mention 50hrs a week usage but what will you be doing? download/uploading?

So time is more important than data usage? Would 3GB per month be sufficient?

Regarding the key, you need to decide if you want 1 with top speed of 3.6mbps (cheapest), 7.2mbps (cheap) or 14.4 (dearer) or 21.8 (dearest).
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:59 pm
Banned

Cheap and slow

Emailing, lots and lots of emailing!
I also spend a ridiculous amount of time researching golf products
excel and word files, pdf files by email to people.

Need to be able to skype too! v important

So long as office functions work, vids and music are not required or if they are slow its not really a concern, can always save em and play back.

So these keys you speak of

Do you know the relative costs of each?

You mention 3gig per month, is this a contract? I ask as I am getting a plane wednesday so that is not going to work.

OR

Do you just top up and this gives you 3 GIG? THAT is what i am after!

I guess the second cheapest it likely to be sufficient for my purposes.

thanks
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:30 pm
Pull my finger

You need to visit http://www.tre.it/prodotti/chiavette and choose the key you want. I recommend one capable of 7.2mbps speeds at least because real world speeds may be only half that.

You need ricaricabile, i.e. top up. This will put you on a basic Superweb internet plan: there are 2 to choose from, by time or data volume. There is no monthly fee for this. You just pay for what you use from your credit.

To this you add Superinternet for 5 Euro for3GB of traffic. This is whats called a bolt-on. This is valid for 30days. It automatically renews providing you have sufficient credit. If you don't have 5 Euro of credit, the Superinternet bolt-on expires and you revert to Superweb basic tarif.

You should also have 'estero come a casa' option activated for free (if not, activate it online). This allows you to use your Italian tarif in any country covered by 3.

One word of advice, only connect to 3 Italia or 3 UK, dont use automatic network selection either in Italy or overseas as 3 consider roaming to be when you use any other network regardless of which country you are in.

Simples.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:23 pm
Banned

WOW THANKS

that is some kind of top reply!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tom_Essex is an unknown quantity at this point

Top advice from Duffer there, I have to move to a house without a wireless of hardwired connection so will be picking up one of those 3 "keys"

Anyone know if you can watch live streaming (weekend football ) with them? are they actually any good for anything other than email and basic internet use, can you get a few films on torrents or is it not worth it ?

I was looking at a 3 key with 21mps .....

Cheers
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
You need to visit http://www.tre.it/prodotti/chiavette and choose the key you want. I recommend one capable of 7.2mbps speeds at least because real world speeds may be only half that.

You need ricaricabile, i.e. top up. This will put you on a basic Superweb internet plan: there are 2 to choose from, by time or data volume. There is no monthly fee for this. You just pay for what you use from your credit.

To this you add Superinternet for 5 Euro for3GB of traffic. This is whats called a bolt-on. This is valid for 30days. It automatically renews providing you have sufficient credit. If you don't have 5 Euro of credit, the Superinternet bolt-on expires and you revert to Superweb basic tarif.

You should also have 'estero come a casa' option activated for free (if not, activate it online). This allows you to use your Italian tarif in any country covered by 3.

One word of advice, only connect to 3 Italia or 3 UK, dont use automatic network selection either in Italy or overseas as 3 consider roaming to be when you use any other network regardless of which country you are in.

Simples.
Awesome! are you some genius techno?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:07 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conniewalker
If it's techi, we ask Duffer. It's the only reason we put up with him. We love him really.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:09 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Yes I'm a genius. Also tall, dark and handsome.

And loaded.

I also have a big friend with whom I go surfing
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes I'm a genius. Also tall, dark and handsome.

And loaded.

I also have a big friend with whom I go surfing
Ok Mr. Duffer
As our resident techie. I want to buy a i pad or similar. I will use it hopefully to edit word and excel docs, e mail and the web maybe also for reading books.

I don't really need an all singing and dancing machine just something that is light for when I trip to and from the UK

Any suggestions???

Pete the technophobe
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

re ipad or similar -- depends what your home pc/apple is.
I have ipad - i love it - you will have to download apps - ie programmes for the ipad for word there is an app called Pages, which will export in various forms, and same for excel - but you will need a computer which runs Itunes - if you want to exchange info and you do not have bluetooth printers or such like.

Some of the other tablets such as the Samsung Galaxy might be better suited - simpler to use if you are not already an apple geek....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.