Reload this Page >

Do we need an Italian will?

Do we need an Italian will?

Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:57 am
Recently joined

Stefi Patate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we need an Italian will?

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out a bit of information about whether my husband and I need to have an Italian will for when we live in Italy. We have a UK will which has recently been updated to include reference to our house purchase in Italy (our only home) and we are in the process of sorting out an Italian will as well. My concern is around the Italian Succession Law which is all 'greek' to me really but seems to be saying that in the event of mine or my husband's death our children, relatives and other decendents will be legally entitled to a share of the estate (in our case the money from the sale of the house). Would that mean that if one of us dies (hate talking like this but has to be done!!) that the other, if they want to sell up and go elsewhere (back to the UK for eg) will have to share the proceeds from the sale between our 3 children???
Thanks for any advice or information
best wishes Steph
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do we need an Italian will?

Stephi . .seems to be a deafening silence on this one .. but as far as I know:
If one parent / spouse dies then their half of the property is divided between the 3 children, but the living spouse still keeps his 50% .. if he/she sells up then he/she can keep the proceeds. Obviously that's the same for any of the inheritors to.
I believe Succession Law only goes as far as children (not other "relatives and other descendants" as you mention..) .. unless you state otherwise in your will, i suppose.

However this is true if you have "comunione dei beni" ie. common and equal ownership which is the default law after marriage in Italy. If you have registered the property as co-ownership then this will be the case too.

Get expert advice anyway ..
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:28 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stefi Patate
Hi there,

I'm trying to find out a bit of information about whether my husband and I need to have an Italian will for when we live in Italy. We have a UK will which has recently been updated to include reference to our house purchase in Italy (our only home) and we are in the process of sorting out an Italian will as well. My concern is around the Italian Succession Law which is all 'greek' to me really but seems to be saying that in the event of mine or my husband's death our children, relatives and other decendents will be legally entitled to a share of the estate (in our case the money from the sale of the house). Would that mean that if one of us dies (hate talking like this but has to be done!!) that the other, if they want to sell up and go elsewhere (back to the UK for eg) will have to share the proceeds from the sale between our 3 children???
Thanks for any advice or information
best wishes Steph
I can't remember. Blanker than blank. I'll ask my son when I'm back in Verona if nobody comes up with the answer. Are you both British and where do the kids live?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You should do an Italian will - just a holographic hand written will suffices, saying that you want your Italian property to fall under the law of your nationality. This gets you out of the 'legittima' and all the problems that can bring. Having said that, GB has opted out of the new European legislation about wills, so it may be that the situation is about to change. Basically however, you can choose the country of your nationality to take precedence, but it needs to be in black and white - and Italian or you will be sucked into the system of succession here.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
You should do an Italian will - just a holographic hand written will suffices, saying that you want your Italian property to fall under the law of your nationality. This gets you out of the 'legittima' and all the problems that can bring. Having said that, GB has opted out of the new European legislation about wills, so it may be that the situation is about to change. Basically however, you can choose the country of your nationality to take precedence, but it needs to be in black and white - and Italian or you will be sucked into the system of succession here.
What if you are a dual Italian-British citizen? Can you still choose to let your Italian property fall under your British nationality?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

clint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really niceclint is just really nice

I am not so sure that in case of properties a foreign will cover Italian property given what it says here

http://www.successions-europe.eu/it/...uld-i-contact/

and even more so what it says here:

http://www.successions-europe.eu/it/...y-inheritance/
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.successions-europe.eu/it/...-i-register-it

However, here it says that in Italy :
U]Italian law recognises the following forms of wills, among others[/U][/B]:

the authentic will, issued by a civil law notary assisted by two witnesses;
the secret will drawn up by the testator and issued by the civil law notary with certain formalities;
the holographic will that must be written entirely by hand by the testator and dated and signed by him/her.
the international will.

The question is-would one have to register a holographic or international will with a notaio in Italy?

Last edited by Isakat; Jul 29th 2012 at 8:40 pm. Reason: a sentence added
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

A holographic will doesnt need to be registered, but its a good idea to leave it with your notaio.
Under the new law, a dual citizen can choose which nationality takes precedence.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Here is the new legislation in English.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...07:0134:EN:PDF