Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Do I really need a solicitor?

Do I really need a solicitor?

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Savycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do I really need a solicitor?

I am getting conflicting advice as to whether I really need a solicitor for the cash purchase of an apartment in Umbria...

As in France & unlike the UK, surely the Agent and the Notary do most of the work? I am hearing of horror stories where solicitors are charging up to €5,000 for doing... not a lot! I can't afford that sort of money... Others advise that it is not really necessary, so I am unsure what to do. I do speak & understand Italian, though not all the 'legal jargon', so I accept I will need an interpretor at completion.

All advice welcome (including 'cheap' solicitors if definitely required!).
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:41 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I really need a solicitor?

Originally Posted by Savycat
I am getting conflicting advice as to whether I really need a solicitor for the cash purchase of an apartment in Umbria...

As in France & unlike the UK, surely the Agent and the Notary do most of the work? I am hearing of horror stories where solicitors are charging up to €5,000 for doing... not a lot! I can't afford that sort of money... Others advise that it is not really necessary, so I am unsure what to do. I do speak & understand Italian, though not all the 'legal jargon', so I accept I will need an interpretor at completion.

By solicitor do you actually mean a Notary (notaio)? Yes, you would be well advised to use one. Preferably not the agency one. Paying in cash makes no difference. And yes, they are costly. Lost track of the exact cost because it's been a while since we used one. Hopefully, Modicasa will chip in.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Concierge, but no, I meant an English/Italian speaking solicitor as well as the Notary. I know I have to have the Notary..
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:56 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Concierge, but no, I meant an English/Italian speaking solicitor as well as the Notary. I know I have to have the Notary..
Then it's no. A Notary is sufficient. What would the solicitor do?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Exactly! Thanks for that... This was suggested by the Agent in the UK, but I think he's recommending a 'friend', so hoping for a back-hander maybe!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I've heard the advice for foreigners buying in Italy to use an English speaking solicitor as well but I think it applies mainly to foreigners who don't speak Italian. It seems like silly advice to me as solicitors are expensive and if you need a translator just get a translator.

Also here in Italy 'conveyancing' is done by the notaio rather than a solicitor as others have noted.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said - forget the extra expense of a solicitor. If you get stuck with anything just ask us or place a quote in the talk talk thread and we'll help you undertsand the legal blurb or any unusual vocab.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wonderful advice... So glad I signed up for this forum/web site! Thanks to all.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:37 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful advice... So glad I signed up for this forum/web site! Thanks to all.
Yep - we're brilliant Stick around.

It all goes a bit quiet in the summer but plenty of us still check in to give advice, bitch, moan or just have a laugh and share things.

There is a great bunch of people on here, really.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Savycat, we did not get a solicitor but an English speaking Notaio. Although we both speak decent Italian, we thought it would help with certain terms to hire an English speaking notary.
He also translated the Rogito in English.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Isakat
Savycat, we did not get a solicitor but an English speaking Notaio. Although we both speak decent Italian, we thought it would help with certain terms to hire an English speaking notary.
He also translated the Rogito in English.
That's good. Nobody offered me any extra help or advice or translations ...... but I never asked for any and I presume that they just figured my Italian OH would explain anything to me that I couldn't or didn't understand. Turns out I asked more questions than he did being the untrusting, cynical foreigner that I am.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;10132957]That's good. Nobody offered me any extra help or advice or translations ...... but I never asked for any and I presume that they just figured my Italian OH would explain anything to me that I couldn't or didn't understand. Turns out I asked more questions than he did being the untrusting, cynical foreigner that I am.[/QUOTE]

Funny that, I also behave as the untrusting cynical foreigner, it must be a defence mechanism.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:35 pm

[QUOTE=Isakat;10132974]
Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That's good. Nobody offered me any extra help or advice or translations ...... but I never asked for any and I presume that they just figured my Italian OH would explain anything to me that I couldn't or didn't understand. Turns out I asked more questions than he did being the untrusting, cynical foreigner that I am.[/QUOTE]

Funny that, I also behave as the untrusting cynical foreigner, it must be a defence mechanism.
It is funny ... not in the ha ha sense.

There are times when I just trusted on instinct and it worked out. Other times I have been a little naieve and been burnt. Now, now I guess I am more cynical - or older or not Italian and I want to make bloody sure what I'm getting into.
The odd thing with buying the house was that even though OH is Italian, he'd never really seen or signed any kind of contract in his life apart from simple work ones but I'd be doing it for years at work. Foreigner as I am, I knew more legal blurb than him.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:17 pm
Concierge

It was easier for us. OH did the preliminary. We were happy to use the other party's notary because he was also a client of OH. He'd already done the inheritance on the apartment so had all the documents. He read out the contract, but no one asked about my level of Italian. We had a mortgage lined up, but didn't need it.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Isakat... How did you find your English speaking Notaio, search, or was he/she recommended?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.