Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Changing paper uk driving licence to Italian?

Changing paper uk driving licence to Italian?

Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing paper uk driving licence to Italian?

Ihad been resident for more than four years (9 ifI remember correctly) before i switched my Uk licence to Italian on its expiry. Unless the law has changed, I cant see a problem.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Iamjustme is an unknown quantity at this point

I am asking on behalf of a relative in Italy, who has a UK drivers licence due to expire in a few months.

The relative was told (not sure where) but somewhere official, that they needed a letter from UK DVLA stating they are in good health and have a UK drivers licence, and it is not an exchange, they just need the letter.

This sound odd ??!! Surely you hand over your UK licence and they sort out an Italian one. The relative has no access to online, so needs to be done in person, but not understanding the system, may be sent from pillar to post unless I get them some clarification.

what is local ACI office, that I saw in prior posts?.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

ACI means "Automobile Club of Italy" and they are all over the place with offices probably in every town.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Iamjustme is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I will look up ACI in that town, so that is where you go for licences?

and the letter they want, is this correct? is it to state that your UK licence is authentic?

How would DVLA know about your health?!! surely the Italian GP gives this certificate.

I am wondering if the relative misunderstood, they are Italian, and an Italian citizen, but has not lived in Italy since their late teens and is now a pensioner - so a bit @confused.

Last edited by Iamjustme; Mar 1st 2017 at 9:57 am.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iamjustme
Ok I will look up ACI in that town, so that is where you go for licences?

and the letter they want, is this correct? is it to state that your UK licence is authentic?

How would DVLA know about your health?!! surely the Italian GP gives this certificate.

I am wondering if the relative misunderstood, they are Italian, and an Italian citizen, but has not lived in Italy since their late teens and is now a pensioner - so a bit @confused.
This link may be helpful: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy#driving-in-italy
Old Mar 1st 2017, 12:20 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iamjustme
I am asking on behalf of a relative in Italy, who has a UK drivers licence due to expire in a few months.

The relative was told (not sure where) but somewhere official, that they needed a letter from UK DVLA stating they are in good health and have a UK drivers licence, and it is not an exchange, they just need the letter.

This sound odd ??!! Surely you hand over your UK licence and they sort out an Italian one. The relative has no access to online, so needs to be done in person, but not understanding the system, may be sent from pillar to post unless I get them some clarification.

what is local ACI office, that I saw in prior posts?.
If he lives here, he needs to renew it according to Italian law. He cannot renew his UK driving licences here. He needs to obtain an Italian license. It is not an exchange because he already has an EU license, but it will be an Italian license and not a UK one. The DVL needs to provide him with a letter of entitlement to drive. However, medical certificate needs to be done here -it can be done at the ACI Office.

Last edited by 37100; Mar 1st 2017 at 12:26 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine at the motorizzazzione not the ACI and it took 10 days. Prior to going with the forms and payments your friend will need the medical certificate nad if he wears glasses the appropriate opticians certificate which will take 2 appointments. If he can start the process before the UK licence expires it is much much easier than to try and do with an expired licence.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We know of a couple who did just this last year, they did it through the local ACI. I believe they had to contact the DVLA to get a form issued to them directly here in Italy, complete it and take it to the ACI. They contacted the DVLA for further information, which took them quite a bit time. One eventually got his licence changed, the other did not! She had passed her test in the USA, converted it in the UK and the form ACI got from DVLA had all this information on it. Hence as Italy have no agrement with the USA they told her she had to sit the test here.
Just an afterthought, what happens with people who have residence in both countries, is there a choice?

Last edited by Geordieborn; Mar 1st 2017 at 1:34 pm. Reason: Additional query on dual residence
Old Mar 1st 2017, 2:00 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Just an afterthought, what happens with people who have residence in both countries, is there a choice?

If you sign up for residency here, the Italian authorities consider you - suprise- resident here and expect you to comply to their rules. Telling them that you are resident in both countries isn't going to work. At the very least, they'd want to see a cert proving residency in both countries - with bolli.