Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Residency requirements.....

Changes to Residency requirements.....

Old May 29th 2009, 1:20 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changes to Residency requirements.....

...well, maybe!

Lorna, can you have a look at this link and see if you can find any further references anywhere? Wonder if Italy will comply.....

http://www.aduc.it/dyn/immigrazione/noti.php?id=261209
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to Residency requirements.....

Hi Red,

only just seen this - sorry.

The article in your link seems to be saying that the Sindaco of Cittadella (a Lega Nord man ...the ones who want all foreigners out of Italy) put a fixed amount of at least 5.061 euro per year in order to ask for residency in "his" comune.

Mr Barrot, the European commissary said that this is wrong as article 8 in the European Directive N°38 lays out what is needed to obtain residency and also states that "member states should abstain from deciding what they consider to be sufficient funds and setting a fixed price."
He also says that he intends to bring up this discussion with the Italians in July 2009

The directive does indeed say ..........

c). Gli Stati membri non possono esigere che detta
dichiarazione indichi un importo specifico delle risorse.

4. Gli Stati membri si astengono dal fissare l'importo preciso
delle risorse che considerano sufficienti, ma devono tener conto
della situazione personale dell'interessato. In ogni caso, tale
importo non può essere superiore al livello delle risorse al di
sotto del quale i cittadini dello Stato membro ospitante beneficiano
di prestazioni di assistenza sociale o, qualora non possa
trovare applicazione tale criterio, alla pensione minima sociale
erogata dallo Stato membro ospitante.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

if all the 'foreigners' go who picks all the fruit and the grapes, for a start??
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:46 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record. The 5.100 odd € rule is valid for everyone here in Vr.not just foreigners.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:12 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

sorry for my ignorance but is the sum mentioned a tax to pay each year for residency ? or income needed, I was discussing becoming a resident with my girlfriends sister who is a local councillor in verona and she seemed to think getting residency is a doddle, although I will not be living in verona and I think it varies from place to place
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
sorry for my ignorance but is the sum mentioned a tax to pay each year for residency ? or income needed, I was discussing becoming a resident with my girlfriends sister who is a local councillor in verona and she seemed to think getting residency is a doddle, although I will not be living in verona and I think it varies from place to place
My understanding is this :

It's not a tax or monies in any shape or form that you have to pay to anybody.

It is a sum that you are supposed to be able to prove that you have in your bank account or wherever.....

ie. Don't go to the comune with 100 euro in your pocket and ask for residency. Go with a bank statement proving that if you don't work here, you can at least keep yourself.

Italy doesn't want anybody coming in and then being a burden on the State which is a contradiction in terms as the state wouldn't give you any benefits anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:55 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

I have read so many different things on this, I was chatting with my girl friends sister and told her I was getting private medical care to enable me get residency and she said its not necessary " its not as if you are Tunisian " and she said just register for free medical care, she told me as I will be out in the sticks the police would come round and sort out residency, anyway she is coming down soon and we shall see, but until something is sorted out I cant get a car , so its a push bike for me
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by bricwood
I have read so many different things on this, I was chatting with my girl friends sister and told her I was getting private medical care to enable me get residency and she said its not necessary " its not as if you are Tunisian " and she said just register for free medical care, she told me as I will be out in the sticks the police would come round and sort out residency, anyway she is coming down soon and we shall see, but until something is sorted out I cant get a car , so its a push bike for me
Unfortunately I think your "sister-in-law" is wrong and in some respects you'd be better off if you were Tunisian.

Any non EU citizen needs to get a permesso di soggiorno. When you have one of those you can register at the local health office for the tessera sanitaria. I had a permesso myself and getting other paperwork after getting that was pretty much automatic and easy.

The permesso for EU citizens was scrapped in 2007 when Italy got told that they had to make movement within Italy easier for EU citizens in accordance with EU regulations.

Italy scrapped the permesso but brought in some new rules - two of which include having enough money to look after yourself here and having private health insurance so you are not a burden. If you have a job here then of course you are paying taxes and NHS contributions etc and are automatically entitled to the Italian health system.
If you are a fully fledged pensioner, it is different too.

It is all very Italian and there are loads of contradictions. A Tunisian man with a job and a permesso can put his non working wife and 5 kids on his permesso and they all get health care.

A single British man who just wants to live here cannot get anything.
Who is the bigger burden on the state. The family of 7 or you?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

when we came over we got codice fiscale right away and we where told that we needed permesso di soggorno; It was hard going trying to tell the Comune that we are British and as part of the EU we did not need it. We got residenza Cops came round checked all was ok and then went and got our Carta d'identitá and Tessera sanitaria no fuss no bother, I think it all depends where you live and if you want to kick up enough stink....VIVA ITALIA
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:21 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
when we came over we got codice fiscale right away and we where told that we needed permesso di soggorno; It was hard going trying to tell the Comune that we are British and as part of the EU we did not need it. We got residenza Cops came round checked all was ok and then went and got our Carta d'identitá and Tessera sanitaria no fuss no bother, I think it all depends where you live and if you want to kick up enough stink....VIVA ITALIA
Depends on what date you moved here. Pre feb 07 and the above applied. After and you need insurance unless you can get an E106. We were unaware of this form when we arrived so need PHI.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Well we got residency July 2007, and didn't provide private health insurance. Have a Tessera Sanitaria each, and are registered with a doctor. Unfortunately we have had to use him quite a bit this year for hubby, and have been charged no more than the locals. Our agent who helped us do this, although English, his family are originally from our town, and he has many relatives here. Once more I think a case of "who you know".
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:39 am
The Original Red Head!

Oh definitely! We got a residents bank account without residency and then a credit card, also they are hotter on the phi now than when it first came in - friends who have lived here for years and are married to working Italians are being told to prove their OHs support them or they can't renew their tessara- this where they don't work themselves.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Well by the time we have to renew ours hubby will be 65, so we will be able to get the e1 whatever it is to cover us.

Last edited by Margaret M; Sep 12th 2009 at 10:14 am.