Car Dilemma

Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

debra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Dilemma

Hi

We are returning to the UK but just for the winter. We are thinking about taking our Italian car back with us. Do you think our Italian insurance will cover us for driving in the UK, or would we need some kind of top up?

Also we intend to give up residency here would that then give us a problem with next years car insurance?

Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Dilemma

Originally Posted by debra
Hi

We are returning to the UK but just for the winter. We are thinking about taking our Italian car back with us. Do you think our Italian insurance will cover us for driving in the UK, or would we need some kind of top up?

Also we intend to give up residency here would that then give us a problem with next years car insurance?

Thanks
Hi Debra,

If you're just going back for the winter, why do you want to give up your residency? You'll need it again when you come back surely?

Give your insurance people a ring and just ask them about coverage in the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi Debra,

If you're just going back for the winter, why do you want to give up your residency? You'll need it again when you come back surely?

Give your insurance people a ring and just ask them about coverage in the UK.
Thanks I will give it ago but I do have problems with speaking Italian on the phone, its much easier face to face

We will probably be leaving in October and returning around April and then back to England for August...................as its far too busy and mad here.

So therefore we will be spending more like 7 months in the UK. I would imagine any tax that we have to pay would need to be paid to the UK as we will be staying there longer. So thought we had better give up residency here:
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debra
Thanks I will give it ago but I do have problems with speaking Italian on the phone, its much easier face to face

We will probably be leaving in October and returning around April and then back to England for August...................as its far too busy and mad here.

So therefore we will be spending more like 7 months in the UK. I would imagine any tax that we have to pay would need to be paid to the UK as we will be staying there longer. So thought we had better give up residency here:
Debra, giving up residency and payment of taxes are two separate issues. You really need the advice of a account. Plus don't cars have to be re-registered after six monthe in the u.k. Not sure but seem to remember something being said about this before.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:12 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

you could drive on Italian plates till the cows come home, I don't think you would ever get pulled up, some parts of London Lithuanian plates are the norm now, Italian should be no big deal, plus never pay congestion charges, sounds a good idea
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:28 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Check your car insurance documents. If you have the green card then you should be fine to drive anywhere in the EU. For some insurance companies they give this to you as standard but for others it might be an added option like legal cover.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help I'll go through the documents with the help of somebody who speaks the language a little better than me I am with Direct Line so hopefully it should be easy enough to sort it out.

Will take your advise on the 6 month thing and make sure I bring the car back before then. Will also speak to an English and Italian accountant, not that I earn much money but I am sure somebody will want a slice of it.

Will just have to remember when I get the thing back to drive on the right side of the road:
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:52 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi Debra.
the car thing - green cards only last a certain amount of days (90??) if issued from Direct Line so you would need a top up of car insurance(from direct line in UK), also the six months thing is true and the UK customs are getting a bit more interested in foreign plated cars, keep your crossing tickets to prove when you took the car into UK, if you can't produce them it will be assumed you have the car in UK more than six months and there will be road tax and other taxes to pay, and it could be impounded and destroyed for not paying road tax. At about the six months point do a day trip to france and you have another crossing ticket (another six months)
You can only be taxed in either UK or Italy but not both (The rule of double jeopardy applies)
Why give up residency?? It takes long enough to get it!! I will out of Italy for at least two years but will keep my residency running.
regards Kenny
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hope you and Moe are keeping well and enjoying life

Thanks for the advise that is really helpful, if it looks like we will be in the UK a little longer its handy to know I just need to do a day trip to France. Will definately keep all paper work, dont want my little car crushed

This residency business is confusing the hell out of me and I really don't now what to do: An Italian friend of mine told me that if I left here I would have to go to the comune and tell them and give up Residency as I will be out of the country for more than the 6 month period. Also hubbie is keen to be a UK resident for paying tax, doctors etc etc.

I'm sure we will work it out in the end, England is no problem, but there are so many rules and regulations here..............it scares the hell out of me!!

Considering taking the boat from Sardinia to Marseille, have you driven through France what's it like?

Cheers all the best...............just another couple of hours and I can open that nice bottle of chilled white wine
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:29 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi Debra,
join the gang, Italy confuses the hell out of most of us I think. I have driven the length and breadth of France towing a huge caravan, no problem whatsoever. It's a lot easier than driving in Italy and a lot less stressful, people say avoid the Paris Peripharel (ring road) where in places it is about 8 lanes, but I have done it several times and it's not that bad. The 'motorways' are quiet at most times and after Italy it is quite a nice experience.
We are both fine here, just been for a swim, it's already 43 degrees C , unfortunately alcohol is a non-starter but a glass of cold non-alcoholic beer goes down a treat. Moe is still a lady of leisure, tennis lessons, squash with the other ladies, lazing by the pool, I think she has definately retired but we'll see.
Have a good weekend, ours is Thursday and Friday here so back to work tomorrow.
Regards Kenny
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:57 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Driving in France is a piece of cake! I've done the route from around Marseille to Calais a few times too. Marseille will be busy but then it quietens off as you head North. I think you can go via the enormous bridge going that way - I've driven Nice to Toulouse which passes by Marseille and Nice to Calais which doesn't! Either way, apart from some of the big lorries which you seem to find in clusters in France - convoy! - it is a good place to drive in.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Driving in France is a piece of cake! I've done the route from around Marseille to Calais a few times too. Marseille will be busy but then it quietens off as you head North. I think you can go via the enormous bridge going that way - I've driven Nice to Toulouse which passes by Marseille and Nice to Calais which doesn't! Either way, apart from some of the big lorries which you seem to find in clusters in France - convoy! - it is a good place to drive in.
Sounds like France will be easy unlike parts of the mainland of Italy. Last year we drove from Rome to Naples.................Mamma mia that was crazy. 3 near misses and 1 actual hit. Certainly needed a stiff drink when we arrived Driving here on the island is easy although the Italian car companies could save a fortune by not installing indicators and mirrors..... cause they certainly don't use them.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

sashasdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking cars, I am about to reinsure mine down here in Naples.

Does anyone know if the indemnity levels have changed?

I have heard that the minimum is now 3,000,000euros!

Or is this another scam to get money out of us,

Also currently insured with aurora, any other insurance companies online that have an english translation for an online quote?

Hello everyone by the way.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:34 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Steve,
I don't think you have the option like others, it's either Aurora or the other one in the base north of you I am sure there was something in the 'joining pack' about car insurance when I got there, you may need to check with 'fat baz' or Rachel
How is life, has it picked up at all since I last spoke which must have been May i think. Life here is good, just in from 5 hours desert driving and now off to a BBQ (with no alcohol of course)
regards Kenny
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

sashasdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kenny,

same old same old really, although there has been some cleaning up of the roads being done!

Oh alright I picked up a fag packet and placed it in a bin, but it's a start

Will check the joining pack, but I think it more the convenience more than anything, ie they are on the base, but shouldn't stop any shopping round being done.

However if we are being held over a barrel with the insurance, at least I have the knowledge that it could be full of vino, unlike yours which are more than likely full of crude.

Enjoy the barbie and the desert.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.