car in Italy

Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:16 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default car in Italy

OK,

I am in the UK right now but will be moving back to Sicily in a few weeks.

I want to have a car whilst there, what is the best way to get this done.

Situation is, I will be renting for 1 year
I will still have a place in the UK that I need to return to every 2 months or so.

Ideally I do not want to apply for residence etc, but if this is required then i will look into that too.

So, I would like to bring a car from the UK to ITALY then have it legally run around for 1 or 2 years, then scrap it or return.

Can I do this?

By the way the car will not be anything special as I have seen what happens to shiny cars in Sicily!

Think 1k mondeo or similar.

ta
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car in Italy

Ciao, whatever condition the car is in, you have 2 choices
a) take it back to the UK at least once a year for its MOT, otherwise it will not be road legal anywhere in the EU, including Italy
b) re register it in Italy, in which case you will need residence in Italy, a current valid UK MOT, confidence that the car is in good enough condition and Euro compliant to pass a series of registration tests here in Italy; and loads of cash and patience.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:49 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, well it seems like option A, a trip back to the UK each year will be the plan, probably take it back, sell it, buy another car with a long MOT.

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Mick_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
thank you, well it seems like option A, a trip back to the UK each year will be the plan, probably take it back, sell it, buy another car with a long MOT.

Thanks
While taking the car back to the UK each year to get an MOT might be an option, I'm not sure how being out of the country for so long would leave you with the UK insurers. As I understand it, you'd need special dispensation to have the car covered by your UK insurer for anything longer than a typical two- or three-week trip abroad (and I doubt they'd consider a full year, though I might be wrong). And I can't see you being able to get Italian insurance on a UK-registered car. I think what some people might do is simply not tell the insurer that they're going abroad for so long and hope that should something happen then the insurer will believe that they've only just arrived in Italy.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:32 am
Banned

hello

My last insurer covered 90 days, the 91st day seems to mean a lot of different forms for a lot of different people

I am not moving to Italy to complicate my life, so have decided just to leave it, I will be without a car and will get myself a mountain bike instead.

I have a friend checking out an apartment for me on Friday and its 100 meters from the bus stop so there is little need for a car, its also 4ks from a town a few of my friends live in which has a station also, so mountain bike seems the easiest (and healthiest) way to go.

Can always hire a car if the need arises.

Cannot wait to get back to the sunshine, when back in Scotland I witnessed 2 people being sick through alchohol within 48 hours of arriving back! Oh and one big punch up also.

Thanks for all advice

I am not bringing a car, friends all have cars so I will be on the MTB

ciao ciao

k
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, there are UK insurance companies that will insure you for 12 months abroad in EU and some other recognised states as fully comprehensive.
Third Party cover is compulsory in all EU states, and a policy issued in say UK has to be automatically recognised everywhere in the EU, including Italy; for the period of validity (usually 12 months) of said policy.
Of course for a policy issued by a UK insurer, this is also governed by the validity of a valid MOT certificate/Tax Disk, i.e. road legal vehicle.
ciao for now,
'o nonno