Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Buying Kids Stuff In Italy for a trip??

Buying Kids Stuff In Italy for a trip??

Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:37 am
Just Joined

alicelisle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying Kids Stuff In Italy for a trip??

Hey Guys
My sister is travelling from London to Palermo with her baby to come visit us. Only thing is she is flying EASYJET and they won't check a travel cot, full size pushchair (she doesnt have a travel one), etc. They will check the baby seat (car seat), but we're wondering if it's *more sensible* to buy it here.

I found a travel cot @ Conforama for 14.50EU, which I think is pretty good.
Anyone know where to source a car seat and a pushchair and what I should expect to pay for them? Is Auchan my best bet for affordability?

THANKS in advance
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:49 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Kids Stuff In Italy for a trip??

How old is her baby? If nearly 6 months most mums switch to a lightweight like Maclaren anyway, so maybe you could persuade her to get one? It's the sales in UK so she has a good chance of finding a bargain in Mothercare or John Lewis etc - seems silly for you to get something she will almost certainly get anyway! You can get the lightweight ones for young babies too - it's what I got with my 2nd having switched to the foldup with my first! Once baby gets bigger you need colossal muscles to push them and a big pram!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:52 am
Just Joined

alicelisle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
How old is her baby? If nearly 6 months most mums switch to a lightweight like Maclaren anyway, so maybe you could persuade her to get one? It's the sales in UK so she has a good chance of finding a bargain in Mothercare or John Lewis etc - seems silly for you to get something she will almost certainly get anyway! You can get the lightweight ones for young babies too - it's what I got with my 2nd having switched to the foldup with my first! Once baby gets bigger you need colossal muscles to push them and a big pram!
Yeah, she is two! I told her it would be a good idea to buy a Maclaren (as I love them) but she said that her daughter is a pretty good walker. I have a feeling she'll need it, tho. I was just going to buy a cheap fold up push chair somewhere here. Maybe I'll be able to get one second hand aroudn here, tho.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

A good quality car seat isn't cheap here (maybe thats why loads of Italians don't use them ?) so if she can bring the car seat over on the plane thats probably the best bet. There are loads of lite weight buggies to choose from, prenatal do a pretty basic model for about 50 euro. we've got an inglesina "swift" which is great, really light and you get the rain cover and other stuff, was about 80 euro i think.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:38 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Well at two Antonia had another 18months in a pushchair but your sister will be able to get one for around £14 in the UK rather than €50! I'd explain why you think she will need it - also if your sister carries her alot I probably wouldn't sweat it too much. At two chances are she's not going in the pushchair on demand and to expect her to jump in a new one here maybe pushing it and a waste of cash for you tbh. Be prepared to do a lot less than you hoped to do though....I had to do the same when my sis came over- she had a stroke years ago and it had really caught up with her - I really has to reduce what we could do to one normally short trip every day and that would fill the morning then she would rest!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

At two years don't you have to supply a car seat for the aeroplane seat anyway, or did that rule change?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 6:30 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by MrsTeapot
At two years don't you have to supply a car seat for the aeroplane seat anyway, or did that rule change?
You've misunderstood - the airline will check the carseat as luggage but not the big pram they want to bring. Most will check a collapsible pushchair plus the car seat. Hiring one with a car can be expensive depending on the hire company so it's always a good idea to bring your own if you can. A big two year old could probably make do with a booster seat but most people prefer something more sturdy.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

ah, thought it a bit strange.