Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Work Permit and Visa

Work Permit and Visa

Old Dec 30th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all
Default Work Permit and Visa

Does an American need a work permit and visa to live and work in Italy if they are married to a British Citizen. Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:59 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit and Visa

Originally Posted by Ellie-May
Does an American need a work permit and visa to live and work in Italy if they are married to a British Citizen. Thanks
Ellie-May, your UK spouses visa is valid here, but you will need to register your presence.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough

what do you mean by the UK visa is valid there? I am a UK citizen with a US citizen husband and have asked the same question. I understood he could only live with me in the UK, not any other European country. At least he can come with me on a family visa but not be allowed to work which is the main concern as we are only in our 50s and not able to retire yet.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:58 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, yes I can see I wasn't clear. Ellie-May asked if an American needs a visa and work permit without elaborating on her circumstances i.e. if she/he has a job here etc. They can come on their visa or the 90 day tourist entry (unless things have changed recently) but need to register here to obtain a Carta di Soggiorno. EU citizens have the same rights as an Italian to bring family in. It is fairly straight forward to obtain if they meet the requirements to live here. It goes without saying that it is always best to contact the Italian Embassy in the UK for information before making plans.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

yes is the short answer
You will need a Permesso di Soggiorno to live and work here, and preferably a long term Schengen visa issued in the US. Being married to a European doesnt make it easier to work in Italy, though the living is slightly less complicated
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by modicasa
yes is the short answer
You will need a Permesso di Soggiorno to live and work here, and preferably a long term Schengen visa issued in the US. Being married to a European doesnt make it easier to work in Italy, though the living is slightly less complicated
I was, and I shouldn't have, assuming her hubby has a job to go to here and they don't just want to 'move' here. As she already has a valid spouse visa for the U.K she should be able to get her Schengen visa from the Italian Embasy in the UK without going to Usa. Say should, because nothing is guaranteed. and in the mean time, she can stay on the 90 day tourist entry, going back to the UK for a weekend evey 3mnths to re-start it.