Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

British official attitudes towards personal names.

British official attitudes towards personal names.

Old Nov 16th 2021, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future
Default British official attitudes towards personal names.

I read in the Forum in the recent past that the Embassy in Rome had had to issue information to the Italian authorities explaining British usages regarding personal names: in essence that there could be a discrepancy between birth certificate and passport because the person had decided to add or subtract middle name, for example, at some stage. And that both documents were perfectly valid.
I haven't been able to get to the end of the Embassy's tapes to ask for a copy of said note and I wonder if anyone remembers the issue?
Old Nov 16th 2021, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British official attitudes towards personal names.

I don’t know if this is the document that you’re looking for but it is the one I keep a record of in case I need it.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ame_change.pdf
Old Nov 16th 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
I read in the Forum in the recent past that the Embassy in Rome had had to issue information to the Italian authorities explaining British usages regarding personal names: in essence that there could be a discrepancy between birth certificate and passport because the person had decided to add or subtract middle name, for example, at some stage. And that both documents were perfectly valid.
I haven't been able to get to the end of the Embassy's tapes to ask for a copy of said note and I wonder if anyone remembers the issue?
Some time ago (2013 judging by the file dates) I had a problem with this (I use my middle name all the time here to make it consistent with my C.F., whereas in the UK I never used it). From somewhere I got these two documents - they may be of help.
Attached Files
Old Nov 16th 2021, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Many thanks to you, both. This was precisely what I had in mind.
To explain, my son had run into this problem in his application for Italian citizenship (plus having "Carmarthen" as place of birth on his birth certificate and "Camarthen" on his passport!).
Now, something that may surprise you. He lives in Malaya and is applying via the (Italian) embassy in KL. I sent him the document immediately and discovered that he had contacted the consular section earlier today explaining that one case was a personal whim and the other a typo: "No problem, we'll take the birth certificate details and ignore the rest."
So, you CAN take Italy out of the boy (or girl).
ps If anyone breaks through the Rome embassy defences, can you please share the secret.