Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

British Corner Shop

British Corner Shop

Old Feb 12th 2024, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Corner Shop

Originally Posted by 37100
Lost 40% of his sales at a stroke of a pen. Then said that he was happy with Brexit........Hard to feel sorry for him.
He's obviously a hard of thinking Leave voter who is finally getting what he voted for!

Meanwhile, Irish exports of food products to British overseas supermarkets in the EU are booming!
Old Feb 12th 2024, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Zocco is an unknown quantity at this point

Shops in the UK are awash with products from EU countries, so I'm sure any regulations work both ways. Maybe people in the UK didn't buy enough products from the BCS to make the business worthwhile.
Secondly, the comments here seem to all suggest that the only consideration for anyone when deciding on a Brexit vote was "what's in it for me" whereas, maybe he was thinking "what do I believe is best for the UK".
Countries like Hungary and Poland now realise they have to do as they are told or any funding will be withdrawn. Governments must work for their citizens or the citizens will vote for another party. The EU elections this year will be an important test for each country.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zocco
Shops in the UK are awash with products from EU countries, so I'm sure any regulations work both ways. Maybe people in the UK didn't buy enough products from the BCS to make the business worthwhile.
Secondly, the comments here seem to all suggest that the only consideration for anyone when deciding on a Brexit vote was "what's in it for me" whereas, maybe he was thinking "what do I believe is best for the UK".
Countries like Hungary and Poland now realise they have to do as they are told or any funding will be withdrawn. Governments must work for their citizens or the citizens will vote for another party. The EU elections this year will be an important test for each country.
Businessmen normally think about financial benefits. That is their job.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 6:14 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zocco
According to the owner, dealing with exporting to 27 countries with 27 different rules was problematic and parcels were frequently returned by customs. He tried closing the UK warehouse -putting 60 workers out of a job -and opening a hub in the Netherlands, resulting in higher costs which needed to be passed onto the consumers. A cost that consumers weren't prepared to pay.
Best for the country over best for me? He gambled on 'cake and eat it', 'they need us more', 'more countries will follow our lead', and lost.
Old Feb 13th 2024, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why UK shops are "awash" with EU goods is that whilst the EU was fully prepared and organised to deal with the rules about imports from the UK,the UK itself did not have a scooby doo about what to do.They kept putting off implementing customs checks as they could not afford the infrastructure required and as the Arch Brexiteer Rees Mogg said that the imposition of these checks should be delayed as it would put up costs to the UK consumer!!!! This was the man who said that Brexit would mean cheaper food!!!! Obviously the owner of BCS did not read the Brexit treaty where it said that imports of food stuffs into the EU must comply with EU rules and that to prove this he had to have health certificates and vet certificates for any meat or plant products even when sending a pound of sausages to an individual consumer.He was not dealing with 27 different countries just one big trading bloc with clear rules when it comes to imports from third party countries.
And remember governments do not do what is best for the country-they do what is best for themselves and their supporters.Remember that so may rich Tories supported Brexit because they thought they could make money out of it.JRM reportedly made millions betting on Sterling dropping after the Brexit vote and many others wanted to continue hiding their dosh in off shore tax havens a wheeze that the EU has now banned
Old Feb 13th 2024, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
The reason why UK shops are "awash" with EU goods is that whilst the EU was fully prepared and organised to deal with the rules about imports from the UK,the UK itself did not have a scooby doo about what to do.They kept putting off implementing customs checks as they could not afford the infrastructure required and as the Arch Brexiteer Rees Mogg said that the imposition of these checks should be delayed as it would put up costs to the UK consumer!!!! This was the man who said that Brexit would mean cheaper food!!!! Obviously the owner of BCS did not read the Brexit treaty where it said that imports of food stuffs into the EU must comply with EU rules and that to prove this he had to have health certificates and vet certificates for any meat or plant products even when sending a pound of sausages to an individual consumer.He was not dealing with 27 different countries just one big trading bloc with clear rules when it comes to imports from third party countries.
And remember governments do not do what is best for the country-they do what is best for themselves and their supporters.Remember that so may rich Tories supported Brexit because they thought they could make money out of it.JRM reportedly made millions betting on Sterling dropping after the Brexit vote and many others wanted to continue hiding their dosh in off shore tax havens a wheeze that the EU has now banned
Goldman Sachs are reporting today that Brexit took away 5% of the UK economy.
Old Feb 13th 2024, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

PSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond reputePSG2014 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume a bright spark like you left the UK as soon as you realised the nasty Tories were doing nasty things ?

I did by the way (but for other reasons which seemed obvious to me at the time).

PSG
Old Feb 13th 2024, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PSG2014
I assume a bright spark like you left the UK as soon as you realised the nasty Tories were doing nasty things ?

I did by the way (but for other reasons which seemed obvious to me at the time).

PSG
I am pleased to say that I reached retirement age without ever even once considering voting Tory.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

I consider myself pro-EU. Note this is different to the tag of being "a Remainer" because that campaign was really only focussing on potential negatives to the UK (primarily economic), whereas I believe that ever closer ties between European countries, including the UK, is better for everyone. So therefore I would love to be able to say that Brexit has been a disaster, but even I had to admit that in truth it's extremely difficult to assess the real impact because:

1. It's impossible to separate out the impact of the Covid pandemic and the war in Ukraine.
And
2. Some of Brexit still hasn't happened yet or has only very recently happened (despite the fact that the vote was almost 8 years ago)

For example the checks on goods coming into the UK from the EU only started last month after being delayed five times! Problems are predicted by some commentators, but it's not yet possible to measure the impact on EU exports to the UK, and we'll have to wait and see.

Moreover progress on new trade agreements with other countries (or trading blocs) has been extremely slow. And in many cases it looks like the final outcome won't be some special terms for the UK, but the same deal that the EU has (ie. No gain to the UK). Not my words , you can read more here (https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-9314/) This is where I would take issue with "the Brexiters" who claimed that Brexit would allow the UK access to free trade with the rest of the world (I know there are a myriad of other reasons that people voted for Brexit but this thread is about trade), and it's compounded by a Tory party that's too busy in-fighting to actually get on with what they should be doing
Old Feb 15th 2024, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

keithrogers is a jewel in the roughkeithrogers is a jewel in the roughkeithrogers is a jewel in the roughkeithrogers is a jewel in the rough

Old Feb 15th 2024, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I wonder. I've never used any store like the British Corner Shop, so maybe I am missing information, but when I hear people using them, it seems to be more for fresh food, like sausages, pork pies and the like. Amazon is not so good on this type of food. ....​​​​​
They sold "fresh" food?

I was only aware that they sold things like biscuits, sweets/chocolate, jams, pickles, and sauces. I would have thought that storing and shipping fresh foods would be a nightmare at best, even the relatively short distances into the EU, and impractical, if not impossible (due to legal restrictions on meats, dairy products, and anything which might contain agricultural diseases or pests) into the US and other more distant countries.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They sold "fresh" food?

I was only aware that they sold things like biscuits, sweets/chocolate, jams, pickles, and sauces. I would have thought that storing and shipping fresh foods would be a nightmare at best, even the relatively short distances into the EU, and impractical, if not impossible (due to legal restrictions on meats, dairy products, and anything which might contain agricultural diseases or pests) into the US and other more distant countries.
Best not to confuse the EU with the US

Old Feb 15th 2024, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They sold "fresh" food?

Hi Pulaski! This used to be the case but recently they introduced chilled food delivery into the EU (bacon, cheese, sausages etc). It was expensive due to the additional chilled packing requirements so I only used it once as a special treat for OH - haggis
Old Feb 16th 2024, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lugsbug
Hi Pulaski! This used to be the case but recently they introduced chilled food delivery into the EU (bacon, cheese, sausages etc). It was expensive due to the additional chilled packing requirements so I only used it once as a special treat for OH - haggis
My partner made a haggis one year. The sheep meat was provided for free by a local farmer.
Old Feb 16th 2024, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

I’ve purchased from here before and had a good experience - https://www.richmonds.it/shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.