Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

British Corner Shop

British Corner Shop

Old Feb 8th 2024, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future
Default British Corner Shop

Sorry to be the bearer of this news

I've just seen on their website that the Bristol-based British Corner Shop is in administration now
Old Feb 8th 2024, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Corner Shop

Originally Posted by daniel_t
Sorry to be the bearer of this news

I've just seen on their website that the Bristol-based British Corner Shop is in administration now
That's a pity.

According to the administrators, the business had suffered "ongoing financial challenges" following the impact of Brexit and the pandemic, and all 20 employees were made redundant.
Old Feb 8th 2024, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The boss of the outfit was a Brexiteer. He moved the business to Holland but it still collapsed. A sad little story.
Old Feb 8th 2024, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.kellys-expat-shopping.nl/en/

https://www.stonemanor.uk.com/online-store

Two that are still going..
Old Feb 9th 2024, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

So somebody whose business model is sending UK groceries to a certain type of expat in Europe then votes for Brexit so that he cannot operate his business plan of sending groceries over to individual customers many of whom probably voted Brexit as well (to stop all those immigrants going to the UK).So he then has to go to the expense of setting up a company in Holland to export to which leads to higher overheads Then a lot of his customer base suddenly find themselves in a muddle about staying in the EU because they did not register their car/register their presence/haven't been paying their taxes etc etc so they head back to the UK so he has far fewer customers and goes bust.
I always thought that Brexiteers had some deep reasons for voting as they did but as time goes on I realise that they were really not very bright.
Old Feb 9th 2024, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's likely that Amazon undermined his business model as much as anything.

I never shopped at BCS, and buy very few British groceries, or bring them back when I visit the UK, but the few things I do buy for delivery to my home in the US, basically just Marmite, Heinz beans, and PG tips, I can buy with just a few clicks, and free shipping, from Amazon.
Old Feb 9th 2024, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I very much doubt it. British products have disappeared from our "British" shops (& those who used to stock British products) since Brexit, to be replaced with EU alternatives. No need to bother with Amazon.
Old Feb 9th 2024, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
I very much doubt it. British products have disappeared from our "British" shops (& those who used to stock British products) since Brexit, to be replaced with EU alternatives. No need to bother with Amazon.
The only thing I buy from the UK is black tea. If the BCS had been relying on me they would have been bankrupt years ago.
Old Feb 9th 2024, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
So somebody whose business model is sending UK groceries to a certain type of expat in Europe then votes for Brexit so that he cannot operate his business plan of sending groceries over to individual customers many of whom probably voted Brexit as well (to stop all those immigrants going to the UK).So he then has to go to the expense of setting up a company in Holland to export to which leads to higher overheads Then a lot of his customer base suddenly find themselves in a muddle about staying in the EU because they did not register their car/register their presence/haven't been paying their taxes etc etc so they head back to the UK so he has far fewer customers and goes bust.
I always thought that Brexiteers had some deep reasons for voting as they did but as time goes on I realise that they were really not very bright.
It would be curious to hear his explanation for supporting Brexit. He must have thought there was more money to be made somehow.
Old Feb 9th 2024, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by philat98
It would be curious to hear his explanation for supporting Brexit. He must have thought there was more money to be made somehow.
Probably believed in something nebulous like "sovereignty"!

Old Feb 9th 2024, 9:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I never shopped at BCS, and buy very few British groceries, or bring them back when I visit the UK, but the few things I do buy for delivery to my home in the US, basically just Marmite, Heinz beans, and PG tips, I can buy with just a few clicks, and free shipping, from Amazon.
I wonder. I've never used any store like the British Corner Shop, so maybe I am missing information, but when I hear people using them, it seems to be more for fresh food, like sausages, pork pies and the like. Amazon is not so good on this type of food.

I'm happy with our local European store, includes lots of my British cravings. Although I don't go out of my way, I do binge purchase when I am near. I am told there are some British butchers within driving distance but I can't really be bothered. I think I am at home enough now, and good with grocery store options for the most part. Chippy and all of its associated menu is what I still.what I do miss.
​​​​​
Old Feb 10th 2024, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

It was a service, if expensive. We wanted 500gr jars of marmite and once... got x10 at BCS at a decent price and no delivery cost. service was first rate - so seems a bit of a loss for some...
Old Feb 11th 2024, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Voted for Brexit and wanted to run a business exporting stuff into the EU from the UK without lots of hurdles to overcome? ... Obviously he thought he could have his Victoria Sponge and eat it! ;-)
Old Feb 11th 2024, 8:16 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
Voted for Brexit and wanted to run a business exporting stuff into the EU from the UK without lots of hurdles to overcome? ... Obviously he thought he could have his Victoria Sponge and eat it! ;-)
He's got some (HP) sauce!
Old Feb 12th 2024, 8:34 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
Lost 40% of his sales at a stroke of a pen. Then said that he was happy with Brexit........Hard to feel sorry for him.

Last edited by 37100; Feb 12th 2024 at 9:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.