Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Bacon and sausage

Bacon and sausage

Old May 5th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default Re: Bacon and sausage

I read on here sometime ago that Marksand spencers delivers to Italy.
So I placed an order, must say really pleased with the service although they won't send food.
At Xmas the delivery was free!
Usually I think it's about 12 pounds, regardless of the size of the parcel so good value.
Old May 5th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by giuliana
Hi all,
Just found a site for British products shipped direct to Italy like Hp sauce, PG tips, mustard, custard powder, etc but unfortunately they don't deliver sausage and bacon to Italy
only to France!
As my daughter is pregnant she has got a craving for sausage!!!
Anyone know a site that delivers to Italy!

Thanks
First of all, you're right that British sausages aren't the same as Italian sausages. They're more like many sorts of French and German sausages (e.g. saucisses de Toulouse, bratwurst...). Also more digestible than the Italian version.

And speck isn't the same as bacon (which is easily available in France and Germany, not to mention Denmark, of course, Holland, Belgium, etc.)

Anyway, I've found that to get them here you just have to get them sent.

The make's up to you, but Waitrose, HRH The Prince of Wales (Duchy) and M and S all produce decent bacon in convenient flat packets that slip neatly into an envelope. Like this - http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...n+back+rashers

Sausages are more difficult. The usual online food sellers (like the British Corner Shop) won't send sausages, even though some will send bacon. I'd guess it has to do with sausages, but not bacon, being be defined as fresh.

So you either have to get a friend to send them to you (maybe the same friend as sends the bacon, if like me you want a sort of bacon not sent by the usual online sellers), or (like I do with sausages) a butcher who either doesn't know the law or is willing to pretend he/she doesn't and will just bung your sausages in those standard royal mail yellow small parcel-boxes and post them to you as small packets. (The small packet bit's important - it means no customs declaration at all, which means faster - they go as ordinary letter post - as well as not risking being told you're not allowed to import them. Each small packet has to be under 2 kilos.)

Small packets are treated exactly like letters. They should take something like three or four days, which is fine, anyway when the weather's not too hot. I'd think speed and coolish weather would be more important for sausages than bacon. Don't have either of them sent registered / signed for / recorded delivery / racomandato, because if you do the packet'll take a lot longer, records having to be made at every stage of its progress.

I get some bacon sent by friends and some bacon and all my sausages sent by some butchers in the Cotswolds. (Gloucester Old Spot with sage). If you click on the various sausage and bacon links at top of this page you may find someone who'll do the same for you, or at least who can deliver the goods to some friend who can immediately forward them to you - http://www.ukfoodonline.co.uk/allreg...lbutchers8.htm

Link thanks to The Big Bang - http://www.thebigbangrestaurants.co....ndex.php/site/

Last edited by Sancho; May 5th 2011 at 10:27 am.
Old May 5th 2011, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Grazie Sancho
Old May 10th 2011, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Friend just arrived from the Uk, guess what he had in his case for my daughter???
Yes sausages!!!
She was so happy eating them on a sandwich with HP!
Old May 10th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

Mum came over on Saturday with a case load of goodies; thornton's toffee,cadbury's caramel bars, Terry's oranges,rolo's,mcvities choccie biscuits, paracetomol, beecham's powders and ...crumpet's!!
Old May 11th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

CRUMPETS!!!!
Ordered malt bread as well !
Old May 11th 2011, 7:26 am
Just Joined

mojo111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I'm gary, a brit living in parma just to let you know of a great little shop in viareggio that sells almost everything,bacon,sausages,cheddar and all the favourites. They also ship to anywhere here for little,12euro for up to 30kg:-)
Old May 11th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Mojo, that sounds good. Do they have a web site?????
Old May 11th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

mojo111 is an unknown quantity at this point

[email protected] this is the email,they don't have a website but they'll send you a brochure of what they sell and will order if you require something in particular,this customer service you just don't get here in italy usually,at least not here in parma!
Old May 13th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Parcel arrived
Bacon out of date
Crumpets out of date
Everything else ok except sticky rib sauce leaked out
Sent an email to them so will see what their response is !

Squidgy malt bread has got 6 days left so I will be mainly eating that today!!!!

Last edited by giuliana; May 13th 2011 at 9:54 am. Reason: forgot malt bread
Old May 13th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the out of date and damaged items, I have arranged for these items to be refunded asap.

Kind Regards
Ffion
Customer Services

This is the reply. Can't say fairer than that!
Old May 13th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by giuliana
That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the out of date and damaged items, I have arranged for these items to be refunded asap.

This is the reply. Can't say fairer than that!
True, but I don't know why they say it's great to hear.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:08 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

Firstly you can get nice bacon in LIDL I am not sure what its called but it says something about the black forest on the pack, I have bought it a few times and its bacon as we know it, I recently ordered from the British shop and my stuff took six days, I got HP Sauce, PG Tips tea bags , Lemon curd gales, and a large Marmite, I paid with paypal , I tracked my stuff online and first it went to Germany then to Italy twice? the weak link is Italy definitely it was going from pillar to post, eventually I noticed they had claimed to be to my house and I was not in which made me very angry as I had been watching the gate and not been out for days waiting for my Marmite, I emailed the British shop and said nobody had been and there was no way I was collecting it after paying £20 for delivery, I also emailed parceforce and my stuff arrived next day, the driver had the hump as he had to do the job he was paid for, not sure I could be bothered again, getting stuff delivered if you live in the sticks is a nightmare , Italian sausages are revolting so I dont get them anymore, I sometimes get the hot dog type sausages which are edible, post is funny in Italy I now get any plants for the garden from London and get them in four days by regular post girl , from Tuscany takes weeks, my new postgirl I always wave and give her the glad eye and seems to work most letters arrive now
Old May 19th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bricwood
Firstly you can get nice bacon in LIDL I am not sure what its called but it says something about the black forest on the pack, I have bought it a few times and its bacon as we know it, I recently ordered from the British shop and my stuff took six days, I got HP Sauce, PG Tips tea bags , Lemon curd gales, and a large Marmite, I paid with paypal , I tracked my stuff online and first it went to Germany then to Italy twice? the weak link is Italy definitely it was going from pillar to post, eventually I noticed they had claimed to be to my house and I was not in which made me very angry as I had been watching the gate and not been out for days waiting for my Marmite, I emailed the British shop and said nobody had been and there was no way I was collecting it after paying £20 for delivery, I also emailed parceforce and my stuff arrived next day, the driver had the hump as he had to do the job he was paid for, not sure I could be bothered again, getting stuff delivered if you live in the sticks is a nightmare , Italian sausages are revolting so I dont get them anymore, I sometimes get the hot dog type sausages which are edible, post is funny in Italy I now get any plants for the garden from London and get them in four days by regular post girl , from Tuscany takes weeks, my new postgirl I always wave and give her the glad eye and seems to work most letters arrive now
I agree the problem seems to be in Italy, that is why my bacon was out of date because it was travelling roung Italy for 4 days.
Don't agree with Lidl bacon it is see through and horrible. Must say the baked beans from Lidl are really good, I did the test on my son with Heinz and Lidl beans and they are almost the same!!!!
Old May 20th 2011, 3:55 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

I thought the bacon was ok but it could because its so long since I had decent bacon, sausages are iffy anywhere ask someone who worked in a butchers, as Jack Llalane said if man made it I dont eat it. sausages are eyeballs, earholes, and you can work the last bit out yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.